thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Aug-29-2011

Megan Lindholm - The reindeer people

Started this this morning in the train. Finished the prologue and chapter 1, but I'm not really drawn into the story yet.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Aug-29-2011

^ Ah! Like it or not, it's always particularly exciting to hear when someone's reading something of RH or ML's that they haven't read before...for extra discussion fodder if nothing else. Smiling

(Aug-29-2011, 05:32 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: Its last book was released this year, after a 9-year wait from the one preceding it.

I actually think you may have commented on this before 'thul beings but I'm still going to respond this way... Blink !!! It STILL astounds me!

I think I'm going to have to look into this Patrick Rothfuss bloke one of these days...he seems to get rave reviews everywhere.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Aug-29-2011

you have indeed commented on it before. But no worries. It is to be astounded over.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Aug-30-2011

Onto Andy McDermott's fourth book The Covenant of Genesis. In my opinion, the entire series has progressively gone from 'barely readable' to 'rot'...and ridiculously predictable and repetitive rot at that.

Nonetheless, I will forge ahead...they are all sitting on my bookshelf so I may as well get something out of them... *sigh* Book

EDIT: One of my son's loved them though, so maybe they just aren't for me. Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? - redchild - Aug-30-2011

A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America by Ronald Takkaki

The fogs are lifting with every chapter I read.

I just found out the author has been dead for two years, which is a shame as he would be one of the few champions left fighting for ethnic studies. I suppose he would be appalled and disgusted the way things have turned out now. Dodgy

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Sep-06-2011

Finally completed The Cult of Osiris so am now taking a much-needed break from Andy McDermott Surrender by diving into the first book, The Last Stormlord, of Glenda Larke's Stormlord trilogy.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-06-2011

Just finished Renegade's Magic. Since college is getting started tomorrow, I'm going to start the two-book routine again:

At home: Tussen God en de zee [Between God and the Sea], a historical novel by John Vermeulen about Dutch cartographer Gerard Mercator.

On the train: Final Blackout, a SF novel by one of the most controversial people in recent memory: L. Ron Hubbard.

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - Sep-06-2011

The Name Of The Wind, again. I like Kvothe even if he is a smart-alec! Beyond that, I don't know, I've got no new books Down

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-13-2011

Last books these beings read were the three published "lost journals of ven polypheme" books by "Elizabeth Haydon"

and "Mass Effect: Revelation" by "Drew Karpyshyn". It was a game story prequel, but very good for one main reason... The author is the lead writer for the game itself. Thus it is entirely canon and consistent with the story of the game itself.

These beings do intend to read the sequels to that book, if they can get hold of them.

They will also read the 4th "ven polypheme" book, if it is ever released... It was meant to have been released last year or so, but wasnt. And no internet search has revealed anything about the release date. There's simply nothing about it except a few old and vague notes that generally say "forthcoming", and no official page about it.

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - Sep-13-2011

'Room' by Emma Donoghue. A few pages in and it's not too bad, if somewhat different from my usual reading material. I also have 'A Game Of Thrones' waiting to be read. I do hope I enjoy it. No less than four maps has me a little concerned that I may be confuzzled with who, what, where! I struggle with just one map! Time will tell.