thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Apricots - Sep-19-2011

Just making a start on the Liveship Traders after finishing the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies - I'm being careful of spoiler warnings and links in the threads I'm reading right now. Wink

Also just started a re-reading of Dawkin's The God Delusion to keep my braincells ticking over. It really is fascinating stuff, and I love Dawkin's arguments.

Oh, and hello Plenty forums. It's very nice to meet you!

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-19-2011

These beings welcome you...

Oh, and prepare to be ambushed for your name by the user "farseer".

(Sep-19-2011, 02:44 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings welcome you...

Oh, and prepare to be ambushed for your name by the user "farseer".

Hahaha, thanks for the warning! Wink

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-19-2011

It is only fair. Farseer is rather obsessed by a certain fruit (among many other things)...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-19-2011

(Sep-19-2011, 02:41 PM (UTC))Apricots Wrote: Just making a start on the Liveship Traders after finishing the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies - I'm being careful of spoiler warnings and links in the threads I'm reading right now. Wink

Also just started a re-reading of Dawkin's The God Delusion to keep my braincells ticking over. It really is fascinating stuff, and I love Dawkin's arguments.

Oh, and hello Plenty forums. It's very nice to meet you!

Welcome to the forums, Apricots! May your stay here be... fruitful. P In all seriousness though, The God Delusion... now that was certainly a fascinating read, but one thing that kept nagging me was Dawkins' tone throughout the book. One wonders if the book wouldn't have been better with slightly less vitriol. And I have to say that his refutation of the classical arguments for God's existence in chapter three was rather weak. There's so much more to say about those arguments, yet he rushes through them. For example, I do believe that Anselm's ontlogical argument is invalid, but authors like Peter van Inwagen have given a much more thorough and informative analysis of the thing than Dawkins.

However, discussing religion online is a dangerous business that can get out of hand quickly, so I'll now return to a safer subject. I'm currently reading Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man at home. A good friend of mine recently recommended it to me, so when I encountered it among the bargains of a local bookstore, I knew I was fated to read it. I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

On the train I'm reading Richard Morgan's controversial fantasy The Steel Remains. Only thirty pages in yet, so not much has happened, but it's a good read so far. Morgan's style keeps me turning the pages.

(Sep-19-2011, 03:57 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [quote='Apricots' pid='7279' dateline='1316439718']
one thing that kept nagging me was Dawkins' tone throughout the book. One wonders if the book wouldn't have been better with slightly less vitriol. And I have to say that his refutation of the classical arguments for God's existence in chapter three was rather weak. There's so much more to say about those arguments, yet he rushes through them.

Oh interesting! I actually think that Hitchens has much more vitriol than Dawkins - I couldn't get very far through God Is Not Great simply because (I peronally thought) that Hitchens' voice was so bitter, and it was poisoining all his reasoned arguments.

Agreed about your second point. I was frustrated that he went into such depth about the universe and scientific reasoning later on in Delusion too - it was the part I struggled with the most, simply because it got SO in depth without any relief, and I am just not a science and maths person. Oh well. Perhaps it will make more sense the second time round.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Sep-19-2011

(Sep-19-2011, 02:41 PM (UTC))Apricots Wrote: Just making a start on the Liveship Traders after finishing the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies - I'm being careful of spoiler warnings and links in the threads I'm reading right now. Wink

Apricots, please let us know if you come across anything that makes you go Ouch . It’s easy for us to let things slip when we get excited and forget that others may not be where we are up to within the RotE stream of time….especially that member whose name begins with an ‘F’ and ends with ‘seer’.

(Sep-19-2011, 02:41 PM (UTC))Apricots Wrote: Oh, and hello Plenty forums. It's very nice to meet you!

Well met and welcome to you Apricots. It’s fantastic to meet you also, and to have you here on thePlenty with us! Slurp

(Sep-19-2011, 02:44 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Oh, and prepare to be ambushed for your name by the user "farseer".

*stops laughing* *wipes tears* As soon as I saw ‘Apricots’ my mouth exploded into a self-satisfied grin and my thoughts sniggered out something along the lines of “Ha, ‘thul beings, still more evidence that I am not the only one fixated on apricots. So far we have had Apricot Brandy, Apricot and now Apricots…apricot obsessives unite!”

I see from your bio, Apricots, that you do actually love them as a fruit. Oddly, I don't. Outside of the Realm of the Elderlings, I can only ever enjoy them in their dried form or as nectar in apricot chicken!

(Sep-19-2011, 03:35 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: It is only fair. Farseer is rather obsessed by a certain fruit (among many other things)...

It’s a worrying thing when you join a forum to relieve your family of your RotE obsessiveness, and then forum members begin deeming you ‘obsessed’! P

As for being obsessed by a certain fruit, well, you’ll be able to join the discussion here (and hopefully somehow lend support against those beings named ‘thul!) when you’re finished LST, Apricots. The link has far too many major spoilers so please don't click on it for even a quick glance.

(Sep-19-2011, 03:57 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Welcome to the forums, Apricots! May your stay here be... fruitful. P

I wish I’d said that! Clapping

Such a warm welcome! Thanks Farseer - once I've finished LST (and I do read good books at a ridiculous rate, so that may well be soon) I'll be joining in that thread with gusto.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Sep-23-2011

Just giving a prior warning that I am possibly going to try and split this thread, and create a new one with the topics of Vampires and Vampirism (as it may be a topic of interest in the long term?).

Splitting a thread is usually very simple but I'm not sure how straightforward it is going to be when I have to pick certain posts to transfer over, as there are other unrelated posts either side that need to stay here. I almost confirmed the change (which I can't preview before I make the change - yikes!) but, before I do it, I thought I'd first better a) let you know that I'm up to something and b) save all posts anywhere near the split...just in case I destroy them somehow and have to try and put them back!

Do I dare continue? *gulps*
I managed to copy the entire thread and then split the relevant posts from the copy to then create the new thread 'Vampires and Vampirism' here. This new thread is a teensy bit messy with some other non-related stuff in there (!) so I thought I'd give you all the opportunity to see what this and the new thread will look like, before I delete the original (which I have locked to avoid confusion and so nobody adds a post to it while you decide! ).

Please let me know if you hate how/why I've split it and I'll just undo anything I've done. I just don't like fiddling with posts much, especially when I haven't authored them.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-23-2011

Nice splitting... 'twas a good idea...