thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Dec-27-2009

Just finished reading Daniel Abraham's A Shadow in Summer. Not bad, but it felt more like a book-length proloogue to the rest of the series to me. I will be reading the rest of the Long Price quartet to see how it will out.

Next up is If Minds Had Toes, by Lucy Eyre.

RE: What are you reading right now? - randall - Jan-18-2010

I am currently reading Sinners' Ball penned down by Ira Berkowitz. This about a detective getting deep into the dark worlds of the school gangsters. Though it is not one of the best but it is indeed a good one to read.Clapping

RE: What are you reading right now? - Manephelien - Mar-14-2010

Under World by Reginald Hill

RE: What are you reading right now? - Manephelien - Mar-16-2010

Assassin's Apprentice. I decided to start reading them again from the start after Dragon Haven.

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Mar-16-2010

Brian K. Vaughan - Y: the last man

A graphic novel series about what would happen if a disease would kill almost all men on earth. Funny at times, dark at times, well-written all the time.

Anne McCaffrey - Lots of Pern books

Re-reading several of the Pern books, and reading some for the first time (Dolphins of Pern, First fall, Dragondawn). The descriptions of Dragon haven and the bond between humans and dragons remind me of these books. But I won't know for certain until I've read Dragon keeper/haven, and I'm waiting until I get my copy of DH (I don't like waiting weeks between reading book 1 and book 2 of a series).

RE: What are you reading right now? - Manephelien - Mar-18-2010

As a long-time Pern fan I would concede that there are some similarities in the human-dragon bond, but the differences are much greater.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Mar-22-2010

Recent reads:

Windhaven, by George R. R. Martin and Lisa Tuttle. A decent novel, but nothing really special, I have to say.

Dying of the Light, by George R. R. Martin. A disappointment. I actually started reading it way back in 2008 and put it down halfway through. It does get better near the end, but it still didn't work for me. If I summarised the plot it would sound really exciting, but it was boring.

Dragon Haven, by Robin Hobb. I really liked it, but I did miss the more epic sweep of earlier books. More information is in the Dragon Haven thread.

Dreamsongs part 1, by George R. R. Martin. A strong collection of short stories. My personal favorites are The Monkey Treatment, The Ice Dragon and Sandkings.

Voltaire's Coconuts, by Ian Buruma. Non-fiction book about the relationship of Europeans to England. It felt more like a collection of anecdotes than something with a real point to it. People kept thinking that I was reading something by Voltaire, and I had to tell them "No, actually it just has one chapter about Voltaire."

And currently reading...

Fevre Dream, by George R. R. Martin. I'm 60 pages in and not sure what to of it think yet.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Mar-24-2010

Oh, I forgot to mention another recent read: Logicomix, a comic about Bertrand Russell and logic. An intruiging (Did I spell that right?) read, although I'm not quite sure what the point of it all was.

I'm starting to like Fevre Dream more and more with every page that goes by.

RE: What are you reading right now? - chriSchaeffer - Mar-30-2010

I started reading DUNE a couple days ago. I tried to read it a long time ago, but it's so dense with its own vocabulary that I gave up. This time I realized there is a dictionary in the back and I'm making use of Wikipedia's character list.

Last time I worked this hard on reading a book was GRRM's Ice and Fire series.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Mar-30-2010

I read Dune years ago, but I didn't get that much out of it. I might have been a little too young at the time, though. Must read again some day.

Interestingly, ASOIAF didn't take me all that much effort. Although the genealogies included with the books sure do help (Besides, I love genealogy).

I often read a fiction and a non-fiction book side by side. So I have started reading Gandhi's Truth by Erik H. Erikson yesterday. I hope it will take less effort than it was to slog through his Young Man Luther.