thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Valarya - Nov-05-2011

'thul beings.. have you ever read any of Martin's other works? Windhaven, which he co-wrote with Lisa Tuttle, is a fun quick little read! I liked his Vampire story, too. Fevredream.

I actually haven't picked up any of the Wild Card series he writes but I did hear a day or two ago that Syfy just picked it up and will be turning it in to a show.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Nov-05-2011

These beings have not. yet.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-08-2011

If I may chime in, I quite like GRRM's non-ASOIAF works too. Except Dying of the Light, which for some reasion did not work at all for me. The only book I still need to get my hands on is Tuf Voyaging.

I have read a few of the more recent Wild Cards books. They're okay, but to be honest it often comes across to me as the proverbial dog that walks on its hind legs: we applaud because he's doing it at all, not because he's doing it so well. The books are written by multiple authors which brings both good and bad.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Nov-08-2011

These beings have a pdf version of Tuf Voyaging laying around... No idea about its quality, though.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Nov-09-2011

There have been a couple of mentions of pdf versions of late. I have been trying to find an old post of Mervi's on the subject Detective but can't locate it. Still, I know she was very firm in that we 'don't go there' with sharing such things. There are some things that may not fit into that 'rule' but, generally, we should keep away from giving and receiving such offers here. Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Nov-09-2011

Actually, if we recall correctly, the post spoke especially of linking to such files. and of directing people to places where they can download such things (aside from the odd and occasional free download campaigns by publishers)

but it is indeed a gray area. The sole reason we even mentioned that we had such file as the one previously mentioned, is so that Albertosaurus might be able to read the book he was missing.

We would not encourage him or anyone else, to download books from the non-store sites out there.

We've not checked, but there might be sites that provide the book in question as a buyable ebook.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Nov-09-2011

These beings had a quick search now, and noticed that the book is available on a free download site, not as the typical torrent, though.
Unfortunately they were unable to determine if the book has been uploaded by a user or by the author himself, so they will not link to the site. The site had the book also available for online reading. Most odd if it is available both those ways, and not legally.
Typical way for books available online illegally is through torrents, not through direct download or online reading.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Nov-10-2011

Hmm... Triple-posting... not good...

But these beings are now reading "Fevre Dream" by GRRM.Good book so far.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-11-2011

Oh yeah, that's a really good book. It's probably my favorite of GRRM's non-ASOIAF work.

Look, 'thul, I appreciate your offer. But I prefer to get my stuff legally, and considering that...

1. The book is available second hand (at reasonable prices... I think)
2. The book is still available new at GRRM's personal internet store
3. The book is getting a reprint in 2013

...I don't need to mess around with shady PDFs. (The book currently resides on my Sinterklaas wishlist. It's a Dutch holiday.)

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Nov-11-2011

That is more than fair. Having a shady PDF does not compare to having a book you can hold in your hand, printed on proper paper.

The book is most excellent so far, though 'thul have yet to determine just what traits are common to GRRM-vampires.