thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Nov-30-2011

These beings are now reading "Carpe Jugulum". Care to guess what it is about?

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Nov-30-2011

I'm not sure what it is about but I do know that I am STILL to complete the first book set in that world. P

I received Paolini's 'Inheritance' in our school mail today, along with 'The Outcasts', the first book in the new Brotherband series by John Flanagan (which is set in Skandia, within the same world as his Ranger's Apprentice series), and the four books of Tamora Pierce's The Circle Opens Quartet.

I also made a quick stop into a library while in one of the towns I drove through and borrowed the second and third books after 'Twilight'...I may as well finish the series now that I've started! Book

ok, better make you guess a bit then, while giving you some clues...

you do recognize the term "carpe diem" right?
Then do you know what the "jugular" is? Or more importantly, where it is?

What sort of creatures typically do what is described in that motto?

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - Nov-30-2011

(Nov-30-2011, 02:54 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: ok, better make you guess a bit then, while giving you some clues...

you do recognize the term "carpe diem" right?
Then do you know what the "jugular" is? Or more importantly, where it is?

What sort of creatures typically do what is described in that motto?
Would it be about vampires, perchance?

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Nov-30-2011

Yup, I'm with fool-ish...vampires come to mind when I think along the lines of something like 'Sieze the jugular' or maybe even 'Sieze the throat'...

...and, funnily enough, I had a Fool's feeling that 'Jugulum' sounded far too like jugular to be something else! Big Grin

I'm off to save the day after a motorbike problem out in the paddock during cattle mustering...

The correct translation, or at least intended translation would be "go for the throat"
Its not particularly subtle a wordplay, but still good. Your guess on vampires would be correct.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Dec-01-2011

hmm... oh noes... double post.

These beings most certainly enjoy Carpe Jugulum...

How many pixies do you think it takes to steal a cow?
(pixies being rather like smurfs in color, and roughly 15cm tall)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Dec-01-2011

^ I know cows but I don't know pixies so you've got me with this one, 'thul! Undecided

Back from the paddock, I just finished reading this little gem Crying after it was shared via the Newsgroup. Following that, I am ordering a copy of Kent Nerburn's 'Letters to My Son'. Good stuff...

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Dec-01-2011

Make a guess... its not dangerous to guess wrong.

that story you linked is happy yet sad yet happy.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Dec-01-2011

I have a theory and went to view the Pecksie page on the wiki but there was no help there for me Dodgy (though I will have to go back and read 'Words Like Coins' today, just to check that I haven't overlooked something re physical strength when I constructed those facts!).

Still using my RotE addiction to aid me, I can't help but wonder if pixies are stronger than what they seem, much like *RotE Spoiler*

I know it will be a trick question, otherwise you beings would not have asked it... Wink

...that having been said, I won't go all out and say 'one' but maybe a few more...ah, how about seven? One for the head, one for the stomach, one for each leg and one for the tail (to keep it out of the way if nothing else?). Just to cover myself Smiling , it could still be one if a Discworld pixie can drive a body truck or can use magic, like The Force, to levitate objects...such abilities would pretty much ensure that strength would be needless in the thefts of cows! P