thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Dec-01-2011

wrong answer. One is far too little... something that small would have trouble moving a cow no matter how strong it is. Seven makes no sense.

The correct answer is four. One under each leg. then they can run off with cows.

Apparently there's three things discworld pixies love... Fighting, drinking and stealing cows.
or the last, as they put it: "An' snaflin' coobeastie"

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Dec-01-2011

(Dec-01-2011, 01:35 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: Seven makes no sense.

With our decimal or base ten system as an undercurrent of my life I've always kind of thought so but scripture and fantasy etc seems to deem it quite sensible. Big Grin I but then thought it a fitting digit to take a stab with.

(Dec-01-2011, 01:35 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: The correct answer is four. One under each leg. then they can run off with cows.

Of course, that would have been my next guess... P

(Dec-01-2011, 01:35 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: .
Apparently there's three things discworld pixies love... Fighting, drinking and stealing cows.

We Aussies have 'Waltzing Matilda', an unofficial national anthem based on stealing a sheep, so it's logical that pixies would enjoy pilfering cows...

As an aside, only yesterday I was standing in the location where that true blue song was first ever performed.

(Dec-01-2011, 01:35 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: or the last, as they put it: "An' snaflin' coobeastie"

An interesting way of putting it. Clapping Looks like I'd better get back into my first portion of Pratchett so that I can reach the point where I can read more!

Speaking of Pratchett, look what I have just discovered from Wikipedia Detective :

Quote:The plot of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel The Last Continent is set in an Australia-like locale and includes a parody on the events of "Waltzing Matilda".

Discworld has a connection to 'Waltzing Matilda'?! Blink Fair dinkum, that'll do me!

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Dec-01-2011

you dont have to read them in order. they follow a theoretical timeline, but its somewhat interchangeable. the only good idea is not to read one book in a storyline before its predecessors. It might be a bit confusing.
While undeniably fun, "the color of magic" & "the Light Fantastic" are not the greatest of the books. They are equally good in their movie form.

In these christmas-like times, it might not be a bad thing to read The Hogfather. These beings have not yet read it, but they have seen its movie.

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Dec-02-2011

(Dec-01-2011, 12:34 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: How many pixies do you think it takes to steal a cow?
(pixies being rather like smurfs in color, and roughly 15cm tall)
Are we talking about the Nac Mac Feegle?

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Dec-02-2011

What could possibly compel you to think that?

(aside from numerous facts, of course...)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Dec-03-2011

(Dec-01-2011, 04:20 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: In these christmas-like times, it might not be a bad thing to read The Hogfather.

Will do, thanks! Flowers

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - Dec-04-2011

Tomorrow I shall begin reading 'The Inheritance.' Found it on the floor Blink of a cut-price book shop for £3.99! Absolutely aghast that it was on the floor and still wondering why it was so cheap, but never look a gift horse in the mouth eh! Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Dec-07-2011

Angel omnibus 1

Several comics that take place during Angel season 1 and 2. The art is not spot on every time (I had some difficulties recognising Doyle from time to time) but the stories are good (and some are even excellent).

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Dec-08-2011

You're wearing me down joost P ...I truly think I am going to have to head on into Buffy and Angel after I complete my initially wary foray into the Twilight world. Farseer looking forward to 'vampire stuff'?! A wonder indeed!

@ fool-ish: Tsk, tsk, no...one must most certainly pat a gift horse, not inspect its tonsils or dental work.

What a great find!! Clapping I felt the same way when I purchased the first five HB books of the Harry Potter series at a school book stall a few years back...think I got them all for about $10AUD and they looked like new... Dance

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Dec-09-2011

hmm... odd... These beings were sure it was "stab a gift horse"... Have they done incorrectly all these times?