thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - Dec-09-2011

It's always been never 'look' a gift horse in the mouth around these parts. Stabbing is a little extreme! Not that I'd get too close to any sort of horses mouth...they frighten me. I honestly don't know why because they are beautiful creatures to look at. Undecided

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Dec-10-2011

Horses are ok, but mammoths are nicer.

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - Dec-10-2011

Can't say I've ever seen a mammoth up close, so I'll take your word for that!

polar bears are also interesting creatures...

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Dec-10-2011

'Never look a gift horse in the mouth' is a Dutch expression too (Nooit een gegeven paard in de bek kijken). It has to do with the habit of checking a horse's teeth to see if it's healthy.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Valarya - Dec-10-2011

Well joost, to be extra clear... someone would always check the horses teeth in selling/trading to determine how OLD (and also how healthy) the horse was so they could determine if it was being sold at an honest price. The saying came about because, well, if someone gives you a horse as a GIFT it would be rude to check it's teeth... at least in front of the giver. After all, a gift is free; if the recipient did not pay for the horse, then why should he nitpick about its age, health or other features?

Lol Big Grin

Hrulgin are more interesting in that aspect... They're fairly similar to horses in most aspects... though if you start opening the mouth on one to look at its teeth, its prone to bite the hand (or arm) off. (Hrulgin are clawed, fanged, flesh-eating horse-like creatures.)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Dec-11-2011

Seems I've posted yet another comment that has mysteriously disappeared from up there ^ somewhere! Down

(Dec-10-2011, 01:36 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: 'Never look a gift horse in the mouth' is a Dutch expression too (Nooit een gegeven paard in de bek kijken). It has to do with the habit of checking a horse's teeth to see if it's healthy.

So interesting how different countries and cultures etc share things, from barely similar right through to almost mirrored and even exact representations. I hate to drag RotE discussion down here but the RotE addict in me can't help but illustrate this with the following: *RotE spoilers*

A non-RotE example could be the fact that nearly all, if not all, cultures have a story concerning a great deluge such as is found in connection with Noah's Ark. Hmm, I think I've said this here somewhere before... Blushing ...but interesting nonetheless!

As for what I'm reading now, I have advanced somewhat in my re-read of AQ Clapping (though I find myself constantly mired in thought at each page turn!) and am also juggling New Moon and Mao's Last Dancer.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Valarya - Dec-11-2011

How on earth are you able to juggle several books at once? I've never been able to do that.

I read *a* book and when I'm done with it, move on to the next. If a book isn't captivating me to the point it's the only book I want to read, then I just put it down and never finish it. Lol

That happened to me with Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. I loved his other historical fiction pieces (namly Pillars of the Earth and it's sequel) but this one... I just couldn't get through it. Undecided

When I found my mind wandering during chapters and thinking about other books I could read, I knew it was time to put it down, haha.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Dec-11-2011

Its surprisingly easy, though some books are on occasion not finished. Just on quick thought these beings could think of five books they are working upon, and that is probably leaving out several others. Re-reads are more easily abandoned than good first-reads.

Focus might shift one day from one book to another.
The real challenge that 'thul have yet to master is reading two books literally at the same time. (not on and off, at the same time.)