thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Valarya - Dec-27-2011

(Dec-27-2011, 02:40 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Black Man by Richard Morgan.

Let us know how it is! I've only read the Takeshi Kovacs novels of his. I've been wanting to read more but, you know... book lists. I always find something new to read/do and never get around to the lists, lol.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Dec-28-2011

It's good so far, but I'm only about 50 pages in (It's a big book: 600 pages). Funnily enough, I thought Altered Carbon was just okay, but I absolutely loved The Steel Remains, his first foray into fantasy, which got a very mixed reception. (The only thing that grated on me was his overuse of swearwords, especially "fuck". The are legitimate reasons to use the word. But if nobody can speak a sentence without using the f-word, maybe you're overusing it...)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Dec-29-2011

These beings finished reading through the eight first books of the "house of Night" series.
It is (yet another) vampire novel series. Quite decent, though apparently it is popular with younger girls. Not that 'thul care. They enjoy them.

Urban fantasy set (mostly) in a small town in North America. Interesting take on vampirism. (vampire change isn't even remotely instant. It takes roughly four years.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Dec-29-2011

I've heard of that series. Four years to become vampire? Sounds interesting. Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Dec-29-2011

Growing through all those changes in a matter of days (or hours) is illogical. Just try to think how long it takes anyone to grow teeth. Then add in the dozens of other changes common to vampires. Then add in the fact that to avoid complete drainage of bodily resources. Obviously it has to take time, particularly if the changes to the body are significant.

*Shifts over to right thread for rest of discussion*

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-02-2012

These beings are now reading several books. (as usual)

One book by J.D. Robb (not sure on name), not the best book but decent enough.
The ninth book in the "house of night" series. Quite good. Too early to see exactly how good.
Wizard's first rule by terry goodkind, first book in sword of truth. (manieth re-read). Very good.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Jan-02-2012

Dragon Keeper Smiling I'm a little confused about something already, but I'm not going to say what just yet. I shall read on and see if it's resolved first.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Valarya - Jan-02-2012

I made it to book 6 in the Sword of Truth series and asked myself WHY every single time. It reminded me of the few books of Wheel of Time series I tried to do in that every single book was the freaking same.

Richard gets in trouble. He and Kahlan get split up. They overcome all odds to find their way back together, ad naseum. I just couldn't do it. Down

I'm currently reading: nothing. SWTOR had me way too busy, haha.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-02-2012

The works do improve more towards the end, Valarya. The feeling you described having reminds 'thul of the feeling they had during the show "legend of the seeker", which they will not recommend to anyone.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-03-2012

These beings have now finished "wizard's first rule". They will start on the second book, "the stone of tears" soon, somewhat intermingled with the other current projects.

Having spoken with someone who has read the books more recently than themselves, they can say that the tendency of the team (Kahlan and Richard) being split up and reunited every book is no stronger in the Sword of Truth series than in other works of high fantasy. Dividing the team is a very common trait in high fantasy, as it generally allows for a more speedy resolution to an issue. Divisions will still happen in the later books, but it will not be all the time, nor will it be the same split each time.