thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-05-2012

These beings will continue the posting spree...

They have now (or rather, yesterday) finished reading "The stone of tears", and have begun reading "Blood of the Fold", which is the third book in the series.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - joost - Jan-05-2012

IIRC, Blood of the fold was the book I enjoyed the most in the SoT series.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-05-2012

It is a highly enjoyable book, so not too surprising. Those blood of the fold fellows are just so humorous...

Oh, and got a nice quote...

"What kind of plans would the Master Rahl have? I plan to conquer the world."

The stuff near the end of "Confessor" has also got some of the best parts, the parts where magic and awe-inspiring style comes forth at maximum velocity.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Jan-07-2012

Not a lot of time for reading thus far this year (early days yet though!) but I am currently halfway through Eldest. I have also started my SOM re-read and also read James Clavell's The Children's Story...but not just for children yesterday after the local librarian gave it to me so that we could discuss the questions it raises. Of course, I realised the second page in that he had given it to me to read about three years ago and we'd already had the discussion! Big Grin

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-07-2012

It would appear that Paolini has gotten his draconic claws into you since your last report on the inheritance cycle.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Jan-07-2012

I didn't like Eragon at all and must admit that I likely would not have continued on in the cycle if not for having to come back here P or having to face one of my sons, BUT I find that I am enjoying Eldest far more, yes. I am happily reading it whilst I finish off my ironing pile so best get back to both tasks...one made more pleasurable due to the other Smiling

Oh, and I haven't got my hands on Hogsfather yet but the first part of the TV miniseries for it was on television here tonight...though I only got to see the first five minutes before my daughter changed the channel over to Robots. Uhhuh I had to settle for ironing and Eldest instead... Surrender

@joost: I have been to three libraries in the last couple of weeks and not one has a single Mary Gentle book! Down I'll continue to keep a look-out.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-08-2012

Well, I've finished Black Man by now and I liked it quite a lot. If you liked the Takeshi Kovacs novels, you'll probably enjoy this one too. I personally still like The Steel Remains more, but that probably just has to do with my personal preference for fantasy over SF.

I am currently reading The Journey by Ibn Battuta, a thirteenth century traveler who journeyed through the entire Islamic world of that time. It's an interesting read.

And I'm expecting a package next week containing the book The Godstalker Chronicles by P. C. Hodgell. Hodgell's not a particularly well-known writer, but her Kencyrath series managed to catch my eye, so I'm giving it a shot.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - joost - Jan-08-2012

(Jan-07-2012, 12:29 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: @joost: I have been to three libraries in the last couple of weeks and not one has a single Mary Gentle book! Down I'll continue to keep a look-out.
Terrible libraries! Big Grin

Must-reads by Mary Gentle, by genre:

Alternate history:
- Ash, a secret history (one of the best books I've ever read. Genre)
- Ilario (you should read Ash first, because this takes place in the same universe as Ash)
- 1610, a sundial in a grave

Fantasy/Science fiction:
- Orthe, the chronicles of Carrick V

Humour (think Terry Pratchett):
Grunts (Orcs are the heroes, hobbits are dirty thieves, elves are racist bastards)

The other books I've read (White crow and Cartomancy) are good but not great.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-08-2012

These beings just finished reading "Blood of the Fold". A most excellent read. Not decided which book is next, but it might be to finish reading the ninth "House of Night" book.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Jan-08-2012

I like the sound of those Terry Goodkind books after reading reviews. More for the wish list Smiling