thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Jan-10-2012

(Jan-10-2012, 10:06 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: Oh yeah, Tarman. He does all kinds of cool stuff in CoD Big Grin.

(I'll behave now. Really. Well, I'll try really hard. Really. Honestly.)
Not listening! Whistling

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-10-2012

compared to the size of the actions done by other characters, Tarman Isn't doing much. The importance of his minor actions, on the other hand... now that is far greater than the average act of any other character.

*blatantly ignores joost while grinning with a mouthful of long and sharp teeth*

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Jan-10-2012

(Jan-10-2012, 11:30 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: compared to the size of the actions done by other characters, Tarman Isn't doing much. The importance of his minor actions, on the other hand... now that is far greater than the average act of any other character.

*blatantly ignores joost while grinning with a mouthful of long and sharp teeth*
'All the better to eat you with, my dear.' Somehow, I don't think I'm meant to be thinking about 'Little Red Riding Hood' Wink

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-11-2012

*walks off, causing ground to tremble from the heavy weight moving away*

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Jan-11-2012

(Jan-11-2012, 09:34 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: the heavy weight

'tis what comes from consuming all of that whale beef...

Big Grin

Hard to fit in any reading but I'm currently up to the opening pages of Brisingr. After Eragon and Eldest, I am a firm fan of both *possible The Inheritance Cycle spoilers?*

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-12-2012

Angela is supposedly based on the author's sister. The fact that a real person is some of the base for her has resulted in a particularly life-like character.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-12-2012

Well, I've started on P. C. Hodgell's The God Stalker Chronicles (an omnibus of God Stalk and Dark of the Moon, so I'm totally counting it as two books on my 2012 fiction list) and I'm liking it so far. Although I have to say it can be a little confusing at times. The author throws you right into a situation without explaining a lot... in fact, the protagonist herself has lost a few years worth of memory!

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Valarya - Jan-12-2012

Val recommends NOT reading Terry Goodkind, hahah. Don't say I didn't warn you. You'll like the first book well enough, and come to love the characters, but by the 3rd book you'll realize every single one of them are the same.. and it gets VERY old. Just my opinion. Smiling

I am still slowly plodding along in Eragon. This one is my least favorite in the series (well, I haven't read the 4th one but I assume it's better), so it's hard to get through.

Other than that, Star Wars MMO is taking up ALL of my extra time, haha. That, and looking for a new house. -_-

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-12-2012

Goodkind must be one of the most controversial fantasy writers ever. For every person I've heard singing his praises, there are two who totally rip him apart. I suppose I'll have to read his books myself to make any judgment on them, of course. However, I don't like his attitude in the interviews with him I've read, like how he insists he's not writing fantasy but stories with "important human themes". Mr. Goodkind, did it ever occur to you that a fantasy story can have important human themes? And how silly your claim sounds when I can see a friggin' dragon on the book cover?

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Valarya - Jan-12-2012

(Jan-12-2012, 02:05 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Goodkind must be one of the most controversial fantasy writers ever. For every person I've heard singing his praises, there are two who totally rip him apart. I suppose I'll have to read his books myself to make any judgment on them, of course. However, I don't like his attitude in the interviews with him I've read, like how he insists he's not writing fantasy but stories with "important human themes". Mr. Goodkind, did it ever occur to you that a fantasy story can have important human themes? And how silly your claim sounds when I can see a friggin' dragon on the book cover?

I feel it's the same way with Robert Jordan & his Wheel of Time series. So many people list it as their favorite fantasy series and I couldn't choke down more than a couple books. Ouch

I had no idea Goodkind said that in an interview but it doesn't surprise me. His books are full of Good vs. Evil, political wars, heroes & villains.. and really, that sort of thing does it for me if pulled off a certain way (like Tolkien), but not often. It's one of the reasons I crow Martin as my favorite author, because he doesn't have Heroes and Villains, really. His characters are shades of gray, whilst still set in a wonderful fantasy setting. *shrug*

I am a strong believer of the phrase "to each their own" so I would never look down on someone who enjoyed Jordan or Goodkind. It's just not for me. Smiling

I'd be interested to see what you think, as well.