thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Mar-23-2012

(Mar-23-2012, 12:32 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: 'thul are uncertain if that might be misspelled. they puzzled at it themselves.
Most likely it is an error from the text recognition software.

The intended word ('thul did not look it up) would be a middle-english form of "your"
And now it makes more sense. I've not read any Eddings...thinks maybe I should

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Mar-23-2012

Yes. You should.
Though it fortunately does not mean all characters use "high style" or "middle English", such phrases do pop up here and there.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Mar-23-2012

I can cope with a bit of 'middle english.' I do appreciate that people didn't/don't always talk proper like what I do.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Narya - Mar-23-2012

Finished the book of Rumi poetry. Hmmm.... Not sure what to make of it.

The awakened lover speaks directly to the beloved,
"You are the sky my spirit circles in,
the love inside love, the resurrection place.

Let this window be your ear.
I have lost consciousness many times
with longing for you listening silence,
and your life-quickening smile.

You give attention to the smallest matters,
my suspicious doubts, and to the greatest.

I have five things to say,
five fingers to give
into your grace.

First, when I am apart from you,
this world did not exist,
nor any other.

Second, whatever I was looking for
was always you.

Third, why did I ever learn to count to three?

Fourth, my cornfield is burning!

Fifth, this finger stands for Rabia,
and this is for someone else.
Is there a difference?

Hmmm.....

(Mar-23-2012, 05:23 PM (UTC))Narya Wrote: Finished the book of Rumi poetry. Hmmm.... Not sure what to make of it.

The awakened lover speaks directly to the beloved,
"You are the sky my spirit circles in,
the love inside love, the resurrection place.

Let this window be your ear.
I have lost consciousness many times
with longing for you listening silence,
and your life-quickening smile.

You give attention to the smallest matters,
my suspicious doubts, and to the greatest.

I have five things to say,
five fingers to give
into your grace.

First, when I am apart from you,
this world did not exist,
nor any other.

Second, whatever I was looking for
was always you.

Third, why did I ever learn to count to three?

Fourth, my cornfield is burning!

Fifth, this finger stands for Rabia,
and this is for someone else.
Is there a difference?

Hmmm.....
Hmm indeed, I'm not sure either. I can't say I understood much of that and I was completely lost at 'my cornfield is burning.'

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Mar-24-2012

(Mar-23-2012, 05:23 PM (UTC))Narya Wrote: The awakened lover speaks directly to the beloved,

I only reached this far, and then I was nicely whisked away to a people and a place we all know so well... P

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Mar-24-2012

thats further than 'thul got... but then, that might be explained by a non-poetic mind currently active mixed with a watch that says 03:24...

middle english is fairly easy to understand even for those that have not read much into it. Its mostly using thee's, thou's & forasmuches. Its old english that is funny and challenging. Its rather similar to some forms of Old Norse. None of that nasty french pollution of the language...

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Mar-24-2012

(Mar-24-2012, 03:28 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: thats further than 'thul got... but then, that might be explained by a non-poetic mind currently active mixed with a watch that says 03:24...

middle english is fairly easy to understand even for those that have not read much into it. Its mostly using thee's, thou's & forasmuches. Its old english that is funny and challenging. Its rather similar to some forms of Old Norse. None of that nasty french pollution of the language...
and thine, don't forget thine P

Speaking of time, our clocks go forward tonight...an hour less in bed and up at silly o'clock in the morning! Down

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Mar-25-2012

^ Thankfully we are one Australian state which hasn't shifted over to daylight savings, though many Queenslanders down in the south-east corner would consider that a negative. I think I mentioned here before somewhere but we have an on-going debate on the issue that, one day, just may see our one state become two.

As for poetry, I'm a bit of a sucker for the stuff. Write it, read it...I don't mind. I got a bit of a laugh out of "Fourth, my cornfield is burning!" Big Grin Good stuff! Clapping

Actually, I'm heading south next week for a poetry comp where my daughter will be reciting some Australian bush poetry. It should be fun, though how she has managed to remember her poems, I have no idea! Blink

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Mar-25-2012

My colleagues and I paid for that sleep deprivation this morning at work...forget bright eyed and bushy tailed, we all looked shattered and somewhat gormless. Thankfully nothing occurred where we would have had to move faster than a walk!