thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Mervi - Apr-13-2010

Guys, I was thinking about splitting these recent GRMM messages and glueing them to the ASOIAF discussion but I realized it would make a mess because there's other books mentioned inbetween. But please, try to keep the Ice & Fire discussion in it's own thread from now on, okay? Thanks. Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-13-2010

Okay!

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Apr-14-2010

woops!

RE: What are you reading right now? - Manephelien - Apr-15-2010

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-16-2010

Surprise! I just finished my non-fiction read and it wasn't Gandhi's Truth. I put it aside and read something else: The Christian Hedonists by Michel Onfray. Part 2 in a "counter-history" of philosophy, meaning that it concerns itself with those philosophers that have come to be forgotten or maligned throughout the ages. It was an interesting read, but Onfray's anti-religious attitude got a bit tiring at times. Just how often does he have to assert that "religion is based on an aversion of pleasure and the body"?

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Apr-17-2010

Hmm I've often wondered if the Harry Potter books are any good.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Apr-17-2010

I'm still reading Dreamsongs by GRRM! I find it interesting reading his commentary of what he was doing in his life at the time he wrote particular stories.
eg he wrote (This Tower of Ashes) a story about a guy whose girlfriend/wife had left him for his best friend....... and guess what happened in GRRM's life just before he wrote that story.
I don't know why but I never really thought stories would mirror real life so closely! I guess there's no reason they can't - it's probably good to take advantage of the feelings generated by those experiences when they are fresh.
Another one was, in a way it made sense that he had his first major love affair when he wrote Song for Lya, but then again not. In a way it seemed like the sort of thing you could write when you are jaded by love!

RE: What are you reading right now? - Manephelien - Apr-17-2010

(Apr-17-2010, 01:10 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Hmm I've often wondered if the Harry Potter books are any good.

I think they are, and of course, they keep getting darker (and better) as the series goes on and the characters mature.

Now reading Prisoner of Azkaban.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Mervi - Apr-17-2010

I think the best HP book is the third one, Prisoner of Azkaban. It has the most interesting and important themes and has some very nice plot twists (and all my favourite characters are still alive in it!) After that the series sort of went downhill for me, although there were still bits I enjoyed (like most of book 6, the Halfblood Prince). I don't think Rowling handled the "darker" parts very well, and Harry grew to be so annoying it was almost painful. But even so, I'd definitely recommend them, they're much better than a LOT of what's out there and popular and they're very much part of our culture now, so it's easier if you know what people keep referring to. Wink

Oh and Nuytsia, I love your new Murray icon! Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Apr-18-2010

Ok sounds like one day I should get around to reading some of the Harry Potters!

Thanks Mervi re my icon. I have learned all I know from the Murray school of management! P