thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Jul-17-2012

(Jul-13-2012, 10:31 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: My first read left my head spinning, hence the almost immediate re-read Undecided

Since I have long enjoyed the same in the RotE novels, Nuytsia once told me that I would love the riddles and twists and turns that were to be found in ASoIaF...which were apparently on an even larger scale than those I'd found in RotE. Maybe I've missed the subtleties somewhat (completely?!) but I don't think I've seen anything truly 'riddly' or 'twisty' in anything I've read thus far? Undecided Will delve into this more in the ASoIaF thread to save spoilers here, once I'm done with ADwD (maybe you'll all be able to enlighten me!), but I can safely say that I won't be reading any of the books in the series a second time. I doubt I will be recommending any to anyone either but, as I'm in the minority, I'd likely still tell people about it.. Ouch Big Grin

Oh, and I jinxed myself with my previous post. It's now Tuesday and I'm still plodding through ADwD with about a third of it still to go...and, as you can likely gather from the above, I like it not. No, no I don't. In saying that, if you *did* enjoy ASoIaF, I am certain you would also enjoy The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks (which I have ranted about around here umpteen times P ). I have never read any of GRRM's other work but this certainly put me in mind of Weeks.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jul-17-2012

The riddles, twists and turns of ASoIaF are of a slightly different sort than those of RotE. That may be why you missed some of them.

There's a good part of aDwD where GRRM got stuck. that city where Daenarys spent strangely much time. These beings suspect that you are irritated over that part. It is the reason that GRRM used so much time before publishing same book. He needed to get her out of that city, but failed to do so in a satisfactory manner for a good long time...

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Jul-17-2012

Oh aye, moaning in Meereen! Tedious. Ouch

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jul-17-2012

Daenarys is extremely tedious there... In these beings' opinion, few, if any, of her actions there make any sense.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Jul-17-2012

(Jul-17-2012, 07:43 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Daenarys is extremely tedious there... In these beings' opinion, few, if any, of her actions there make any sense.
Precisely! Still, she was just a young girl who knows little of the ways of...blah blah blah! Pfft! That said, there are one or two interesting characters within her story line which just about made it bearable to read.

Farseer, I'll have to see if I can find my rather long list of questions, riddles, twists and crackpot theories for when you've finished P

true true...

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Jul-18-2012

Erk! I popped in before to check for spammers but just realised that I forgot to say...

ADwD? Done!

See you in the A Song of Ice and Fire discussion thread sometime soon (best get back to preparing dinner though, now that I've remembered to report that little tidbit Smiling ).

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jul-18-2012

Dinner now? Early in the morning? Did you not forget to feed your betters? a mere humans as you are, you really ought to care more for the lords of the three realms

*grins draconically*

these beings congratulate you upon finishing ADwD... What did you think of the Arya chapters?

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Jul-18-2012

Well, Wise Man's Fear lived up to expectations. Could perhaps have been a few pages shorter (a little rambling going on in parts) but on the whole, very enjoyable. Book three as soon as Mr. Rothfuss, if you would be so kind..Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Jul-20-2012

Back to reading Mockingjay. I will finish it this time..