thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Aug-09-2012

It's given up winking now Wink

I'm reading Night World by L J Smith..three different stories, but as I understand it, all connected. Vampires, werewolves, witches etc and not a bad read so far. Oh, and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is highly recommended. It's not fantasy or sci-fi, but a thought provoking, powerful and emotional work of fiction that's definitely worth a read.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Aug-15-2012

Given up on Night World, it's drivel! Now reading The Innocent Mage, book one of the Kingmaker Kingbreaker series by Karen Miller. It's a really enjoyable and humorous read so far.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Aug-15-2012

^ Sounds good enough to go on my to-read pile. Once I get this moving business over with (which would be much easier without school in the middle of it all, and loads of testing to boot!), I will stick my nose in a book again. Book

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Aug-17-2012

These beings have just finished re-reading A Dance with Dragons. It did reveal several bits that were not as noticeable the first time around.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Aug-17-2012

(Aug-17-2012, 03:09 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings have just finished re-reading A Dance with Dragons. It did reveal several bits that were not as noticeable the first time around.
A re-read's always good for finding little nuggets previously missed. There was a grisly, but really rather awesome bit that I found on a re-read of ADwD (at least I think it was in that book!) I still can't do a spoiler tag, so I can't tell you what it is..Blink

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - joost - Aug-18-2012

Currently reading a manga called 'Bunny drop'. It's about a 30 year old guy who finds out about his grandfather's illegal 6 year old daughter at his funeral, and he decides to become her guardian. It's a very touching series.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Aug-18-2012

Indeed it is, fool-ish...

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Aug-18-2012

which version of Night world was it you tried reading, fool-ish?
These beings found three listed...
Night World: Secret Vampire, Daughters of Darkness, Spellbinder (2008) ISBN 978-1-41-697450-5
Night World: Dark Angel, The Chosen, Soulmate (2008) ISBN 978-1-41-697451-2
Night World: Huntress, Black Dawn, Witchlight (2009) ISBN 978-1-41-697452-9

or was it not one of the omnibuses? was it one of the single books there?

These beings are going to check if they agree about the "drivel" definition.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Aug-18-2012

(Aug-18-2012, 08:18 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: which version of Night world was it you tried reading, fool-ish?
These beings found three listed...
Night World: Secret Vampire, Daughters of Darkness, Spellbinder (2008) ISBN 978-1-41-697450-5
Night World: Dark Angel, The Chosen, Soulmate (2008) ISBN 978-1-41-697451-2
Night World: Huntress, Black Dawn, Witchlight (2009) ISBN 978-1-41-697452-9

or was it not one of the omnibuses? was it one of the single books there?

These beings are going to check if they agree about the "drivel" definition.
The first one. Now, I know these types of book stretch the imagination and that's no bad thing, if it's done well! The first few pages seemed ok and I was intrigued by the vampire character. However, it soon turned from intrigue to incredulity and then utter predictability. I'm glad it was a cheap as chips charity shop buy, else I'd be extremely put out! Undecided

Anyway, feel free to give it a go, but don't say I didn't warn you P

These beings read the first of the single books. Unfortunately someone made a mess of it... many lines were messed up, others had missing words and sentence structure was at times lacking...

The story was of similar quality to her other works... Good worldbuilding, but only ok story quality. Still, better than 'thul feared. so a palatability level of boiled cabbage rather than boiled hay...