thePlenty.net Forums
The Tangle - Photogallery - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: The Tangle - Photogallery (/thread-121.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: The Tangle - Photogallery - Valarya - Feb-20-2012

(Feb-20-2012, 08:56 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Gimme a good book, a decent pair of shades for surreptitious people-watching Whistling, the lovely, soothing sound of the sea, sunshine and I'm happy as a pig in muck! Big Grin

Oh gods me too. Sand between my toes, some good sun-covering (i'm pale and hope to keep it that way, lol) and the gentle lull of the waves rolling in for eternity.

Turned Happyballoon Turned

RE: The Tangle - Photogallery - Narya - Feb-21-2012

Valarya - you are a long ways from the sea! Must be rough for you!

I live a few blocks away, and can't get enough of it. Except for 5 years in Fairbanks, Alaska, I've always lived within 30 miles of the sea. I love the shoreline (not being out to sea, but being on the shoreline, or near it).

I have many fond memories of camping on the beach with my parents and brothers. My dad, a merchant mariner, then a shipbuilder for a while, and a yachtsman until he had to give up his last sailboat when he turned 80, always loved the sea. When going through my mother's papers recently, I came across her 25 favorite things. Number one was walking on the beach. As I recall, they never fought while at the beach. Both were always very happy there.

So. I've added my avatar. Not sure if I'll keep it because I'm not used to having such an easily recognizable mug. But I'll leave it for a while.

RE: The Tangle - Photogallery - Farseer - Feb-21-2012

Love the avatar! Clapping

I'd say, "Oh, to be at the helm of a ship" but, really, I'd be scared to death...one does not live in the middle of the Australian Outback, watch Jaws when one is very young and then not see/swim in the ocean until the age of seventeen without having a healthy fear of the briny deep! Boat

In fact, though I find it impossible to appreciate all that goes into the series (due to my ignorance in all things 'marine' except for fishing in rivers and going whale watching once!), I really do love how LST makes me have to get out of my comfort zone and imagine how the world would be if I could only view our seas and oceans as pathways to other worlds, instead of a barrier hemming me in...or one that must be overflown by wings. Smiling

I also love the signature...so, so true! P

RE: The Tangle - Photogallery - Narya - Feb-21-2012

Not sure I'd have the same feeling about the sea if I were from Australia, either. Blue ringed octopi sound particularly scary.Blink

All the Pacific has to offer on our side of the globe is huge waves and occasional jelly fish washed ashore. Stay above the foam line and never turn your back to the sea, and you'll be fine.

RE: The Tangle - Photogallery - 'thul - Feb-21-2012

'thul will soon have to get around to crafting an avatar... problem is finding the source material...

RE: The Tangle - Photogallery - fool-ish - Feb-21-2012

I'm frightened of the sea. I love watching it and listening to it but the thought of being on it fills me with terror! Undecided

RE: The Tangle - Photogallery - Valarya - Feb-21-2012

I love the sea so much. Sigh. Wub

One of the things I want to do before I die is get on a ship & go far out in the Ocean, miles and miles and miles away from any shore. Then, when all the stars are out, snuff out every deck lamp, lay down and face upward and gaze in wonder at the universe. Blushing

I could probably die then and be content. Yep. I love water. I was on the swim team my whole life growing up and then again on the Masters team as an adult. I slept on a water-bed as a child (my daughter now sleeps on it) and each time I visit the beach every single care in me disappears. It truly does suck to be so land-locked.

RE: The Tangle - Photogallery - Narya - Feb-22-2012

Valarya, you don't need to go to the sea for that. Last summer I was in the mountains and went down a side road, after sunset and moonset, just so that I could see the world lit only by starlight. (Like the time before the Lamps, if you've read the Silmarillion). It was beautiful, but rather dimly lit for me. Our eyes lose half their remaining night vision every 7 years, starting at age 35, which was quite a while ago for me. The sky was fabulous, the Milky Way was like spilt milk.

RE: The Tangle - Photogallery - Farseer - Feb-22-2012

Yup, I do the same thing with a swag or while out camping. Actually, I pretty much only have to turn the homestead lights off and walk outside! Big Grin It's one of things I love about being out here in the middle of nowhere...the big sky by day and the big sky by night...beautiful!

As for losing my night vision...I'm glad to hear that I still have a few years to go before that happens...not too many, but a few! Smiling

^ I should add that the process has begun though...I'm just waiting for that first of 'every seven years' deadline! Am I really thirty-nine this year?! Surrender

RE: The Tangle - Photogallery - 'thul - Feb-22-2012

These beings will see this weekend if the skies are clear if they find some decent in-the-dark images to post, as they are going on a small cabin trip.
If not, they might bring some after tuesday, when they're a going torchmaking...