thePlenty.net Forums
Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? (/thread-126.html)

Pages: 1 2

Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? - Nuytsia - Apr-05-2010

Now we know Albertosaurus Rex's fav dinosaur.....

My favourite dinosaur name is definitely Muttabuttasaurus!
muttabuttasaurus
mutta2

RE: Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-06-2010

Back in high school*, my friends and I used to play hangman to pass the time. Nobody could defeat me when I used dinosaurs, so after a while they were disallowed. Along with chemical compounds, which a friend of mine often used.

*When I use the word High school, I should clarify that the Dutch school system might be slightly different than the American system. It goes like this:

4-12 years old: Basisschool (Primary school)
12-18 years old: Middelbare school (High school, literally middle school)
18+: The world is wide open.

RE: Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? - Nuytsia - Apr-06-2010

I know, aren't American schools weird! I can never figure out their system.
I'm Australian and ours are similar to yours from what you say.
Except, primary school is about 5 - 11 years and high school is about 12 to 17 years
(hmmmm oops it's been a while since I've been at school so if i'm off maybe someone with kids or who is at school can correct me)
18+ - university (or not)

You changed your avatar! Didn't you say that you had the same avatar for ages (or am i thinking of someone else?)

Hangman using chemical compounds? Ok I'm not starting a thread on 'what's your favourite chemical compound........ hydrogen sulfide? hmmmmm

RE: Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-07-2010

(Apr-06-2010, 05:21 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: You changed your avatar! Didn't you say that you had the same avatar for ages (or am i thinking of someone else?)

Yeah, that was me. When I typed that, I realised that a change was in order. I also recently returned for a short while to another forum I used to frequent and had a bad experience there, filling me with a sudden desire to rid myself of my old avatar.

RE: Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? - maulkin - Apr-07-2010

Moschops. OK, technically it is a therapsid, not a dinosaur, but it is still a giant, extinct reptile so why split hairs? I just think that moschops is a brilliant name for a salad-munching herbivore.

RE: Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? - Nuytsia - Apr-08-2010

Maulkin that's a great one! Makes me think of it chomping on moss.....
Albertosaurus I made a post in response to your post but my post got eaten!!!!!
I was just saying it's a pity some forums can get nasty,
Also, saying how weird it is that I think I unconsciously associate people's personality with their avatars..... and it affects how I read the tone of their post. Like if they have a cute avatar I am less likely to take offence at something they've typed than if they have some sort of sarcastic or aggressive avatar!
I guess it's like in RL you take cues from a person's face to work out the emotion behind their words, so an avatar is like your face!!!
In fact I was also wondering about people who have a photo as their avatar. I find myself wondering is that their own pic or is it someone from a TV show or whatever. I am relatively movie/TV illiterate so I often wouldn't know the difference.

ps my avatar is not my face.

RE: Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? - maulkin - Apr-08-2010

(Apr-06-2010, 05:21 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Ok I'm not starting a thread on 'what's your favourite chemical compound........ hydrogen sulfide? hmmmmm
My favourite chemical compound is Nitric Oxide (NO) because it saved my daughter's life a few months ago. Apparently it was voted molecule of the year in 1992. Nice to know that others appreciate it too!

(Apr-08-2010, 09:10 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Like if they have a cute avatar I am less likely to take offence at something they've typed than if they have some sort of sarcastic or aggressive avatar!
Ok, now I am worried about my lizard. I thought that it was really cute when I took the picture but now I think that the tilt of its head might imply sarcasm. At least it is not aggressive!

RE: Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-08-2010

(Apr-08-2010, 09:10 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: I was just saying it's a pity some forums can get nasty,
Also, saying how weird it is that I think I unconsciously associate people's personality with their avatars..... and it affects how I read the tone of their post. Like if they have a cute avatar I am less likely to take offence at something they've typed than if they have some sort of sarcastic or aggressive avatar!

Anonimity (Did I spell that right?) sometimes does bring out the worst in people, doesn't it? For all I know, the person who insulted me is actually a nice person in real life.
And I recognize what you say about someone's avatar influencing my judgment of the person. Rather tricky, isn't it?

(Apr-08-2010, 09:10 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: ps my avatar is not my face.

And here I was thinking I was speaking to a cat. :p For the record, I am not a drooling red froglike creature.
(Apr-08-2010, 09:44 AM (UTC))maulkin Wrote: My favourite chemical compound is Nitric Oxide (NO) because it saved my daughter's life a few months ago. Apparently it was voted molecule of the year in 1992. Nice to know that others appreciate it too!

Sounds like you have quite a story to tell there. Do you want to share what happened?

RE: Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? - Nuytsia - Apr-09-2010

Hehehe your Avatar could be seen as slightly cheeky there Maulkin, but it's not an 'in your face' avatar. It's all nice and leafy at the top so that softens it too. Hey what sort of lizard is it? Does it live in Britain? (not known for your reptiles there ??)
Albertosaurus with your new avatar I could forgive whatever you posted on the grounds you are crazy. hehehehehe!
Yeeeeah, when I picked my avatar I just thought hmmmm what can I use, oh that was a funny pic I took.

And I thought you were saying Nitrous oxide was your fav molecule ..... hehehehehe ..... I had no idea what Nitric oxide was used for..... and to be really honest I didn't get far with the wiki on it either .... Blushing

RE: Your Favourite Dinosaur Name? - maulkin - Apr-15-2010

We do have some Lizards in Britain, but not many (I have only ever seen two species).

My avatar is a picture that I took last year while on holiday in Bosnia. We were eating lunch in Mostar's Old Town, sitting on an old stone wall, and this cheeky lizard climbed right up beside me.