thePlenty.net Forums
Suvudu Cage Matches [now with more fitz!] - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Suvudu Cage Matches [now with more fitz!] (/thread-129.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Suvudu Cage Matches [now with more fitz!] - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-08-2010

I don't know if you guys have seen the cage matches over at Suvudu. It's an amusing concept, although I haven't been following it much because I'm not familiar with most of the characters (I know them by name, but I haven't read the books yet). Pleasingly, Jaime Lannister has made it to the finals, although there's really no way he could ever defeat Ch'tuluh (I almost certainly spelt that wrong).

Of course I was outraged that not one of Robin Hobb / Megan Lindholm's characters took part in the matches. So who do you think could have represented RH in the matches?

PLEASE be careful with spoilers, for books by Robin AND other authors. We have spoilers tags for that.

I think Tintaglia or Icefire stands a reasonable chance, but somehow I think it is more interesting to pick a human sized combatant. Fitz isn't a shabby warrior and a good assassin to boot, plus he's got a wolf on his side. Ki or Vandien might also put up a fair fight.

RE: Suvudu Cage Matches - chriSchaeffer - Apr-08-2010

Wow, what a cool idea! I too am not familiar with most of the characters, so I'm quite lost on mody the of the match ups.

I'm going to use this list as a way to find more must-read fantasy books. To start off, I see I have missed out on this Drizzt guy from the Forgotten Realms books. Anybody have any idea where to start reading? The Forgotten Realms books seem very confusing and convoluted in their order of events. I'm interested in reading about this Drizzt guy.

...oh, and as for Tintaglia or Icefire, sure they could do well, but I think Fitz has no chance at all... Then again Jamie Lannister has gone pretty far and he has no super powers.

RE: Suvudu Cage Matches - Mervi - Apr-08-2010

I was actually thinking about this too. The "problem" with Hobb's characters is that they are all so real and flawed: I can't think of any character that is a super-skilled fighter with magical powers that fears nothing and kills everyone without hesitation (as those are the kind of characters that seemed to do well in the contest). Even the dragons aren't completely invincible. Well, there's always the Pale Woman, or Regal. They wouldn't hesitate a second to use everything in their power to crush an enemy. But then they don't really do magic in the traditional sense that casts spells on the opponent. Hmm. Properly motivated, one of the old Skill-coteries could probably destroy an opponent's mind completely. Maybe even Fitz would do that if it would be to save Nighteyes or Molly or the Fool.

This is a "flaw" that I actually think is Hobb's strength as a writer - nothing is more boring than a protagonist that can't even get a papercut if he's careless.

Bw, I think many of the matches went horribly wrong. Jaime killed Hermione because she'd stop to think about whether it's right or wrong to kill, or she's a little girl and a bookworm or she would fall in love with Jaime at first sight? Err, and here I was thinking people had actually read the HP books because they're so popular. Hermione is the one who can think and act at the same time, who is much more clever than Harry (who is mostly prone to just raging and getting things wrong because of his ~righteous anger). She's the one who masters non-verbal spells before anyone else and who is quite capable of fighting and defeating Death Eaters. And then Jaime went on to beat Ctulhu by reading books himself? Umm. I get that GRRM's books are the hottest thing out there right now, but I smell bias. Also - Gandalf is a maia, an angelic being that comes back from death as a sort of 2.0 version. A simple bullet would kill him? I don't think so.
The one match that was the hardest for me to decide on was Aragorn vs Ged, because I simply couldn't see them fighting each other or how it would end (which one of his many names is Aragorn's true name that Ged would try to use? Big Grin)
I think the best thing to come out of the Suvudu matches was Naomi Novik's Temeraire vs. Jaime crackfic: "A Dragon and A Swordsman Walk Into A Bar".

I think the idea of the cage matches is a very good one, but they should have defined the rules better, for example which "version" or age of the characters is fighting (first year Hermione or post-Hogwarts? Gandalf the Grey or Gandalf the White? Temeraire alone or with her crew?) and WHY they are fighting: just to defend themselves, defend someone/something that is important to them, or just for the sake of fighting/glory - these things would have greatly improved the motivation to fight for some of the characters.

RE: Suvudu Cage Matches - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-08-2010

EDIT: This post is in response to chriSchaeffer, Mervi posted while I was typing my reply.

Yeah well, I think Jaime's successes are more due to his popularity. And including Ch'tuluh? Really? Who's going to defeat a frickin' Lovercraftian elder god???

On the subject of Drizzt, I've never read those books, but my dad is a big fan. It all depends on which order you prefer to read them in: chronologically or in the order they were written? The first story written is the Icewind Dale trilogy, but chronologically the Dark Elf trilogy comes first (Which is reflected by the serial numbers on newer editions). Most of the trilogies are also available in omnibus editions, if you're into that sort of thing.

RE: Suvudu Cage Matches - Nuytsia - Apr-09-2010

I've been following these !!
BUT
I can't believe Haplo got taken out so early! NOoooooooooooooo way!
I think characters from books written longer ago are at a disadvantage ..............

Yep Mervi there are many matches that were pretty silly in their outcomes. (I think they call it the fanboy factor) You'd think even if the people voting didn't know the powers of the characters involved at least the OFFICAL WRITEUP would get it right. But often it didn't!
The match I couldn't decide on was Aragorn vs the Wee Free Men. Neither side has any super magical powers, but how do you measure a guy with a sword against a bunch of swarming tiny guys with swords??????
Also, I wish they had used a more interesting character from the Discworld. What about Death - ok a bit much - what about Susan Sto Helit with the time stopping ability thing? Or at least a wizard! THE BURSAR!!!!!!! Awesome...... He could use dried frog pills in his opponents drink .....

Hey I liked that livejournal of the author of the Temeraire book/s(?) (geees this Suvudu has also seriously added to my 'to read' list)

RE: Suvudu Cage Matches - Albertosaurus Rex - Apr-15-2010

Speaking of badasses and the their relative lack in Robin Hobb's novels: this amuses me no end:

[Image: hm_veritygotskills.jpg]

Seriously, the whole collection of icons makes me laugh out loud.

RE: Suvudu Cage Matches - Mervi - Apr-15-2010

(Apr-09-2010, 04:45 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Hey I liked that livejournal of the author of the Temeraire book/s(?) (geees this Suvudu has also seriously added to my 'to read' list)

Books. It's an ongoing series (5 books currently I think) but at least the first part "Temeraire" or "His Majesty Dragon" (depending on the edition) read very well as a stand-alone work, so don't hesitate to try it even if you usually don't read series that haven't been finished yet.

RE: Suvudu Cage Matches - Nuytsia - Apr-17-2010

Thanks Mervi. Nah I don't usually refrain from reading series that haven't been finished yet. If I can wait for GRRM I can wait for any author!!!!!

Albertosaurus those icons are funny. I LOVE the wallpapers though, especially the first one Toohot

RE: Suvudu Cage Matches - Nuytsia - Feb-13-2011

Well it's on again!
Suvudu caaaaaage maaaaatch......Knight

And the good news is ..... dun dun dun daaaaa.... Fitz is in it!
Magic
Yay someone must have read this thread Book

Also of note in it, Thomas Covenant, Gollum, Jon Snow, Druss, Zeddicus Zu’l Zorander AND someone called Martin from the Redwall series (which was discussed recently).

RE: Suvudu Cage Matches - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-13-2011

Ah, Martin the Warrior! One of the legendary figures of the Redwall universe and a fierce fighter indeed! One question though: how are they scaling this? Is Martin human-sized or mouse-sized compared to the other combatants? Seeing as how humans don't exist in the Redwall universe.... (Yes, they're implied to exist in the first book, but like I said in the Redwall thread, there are some discrepancies between the first book and later entries, this being one of them.)