thePlenty.net Forums
Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) (/thread-132.html)

Pages: 1 2

Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) - Nuytsia - Apr-13-2010

For starters.....

Is it significant that Fitz describes the Pale Woman as looking a lot like the Fool? They're aren't actually related are they????
I know they are the same 'race' but so is Fitz and any human. I doubt PW and the Fool look so different to humans (except for their colouring) when they seem to be easily able to pass for human.
He never mentioned Prillkop resembling the Fool in any way did he?

Hmmmmmmm.

RE: Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) - Chrischa - Apr-14-2010

(Apr-13-2010, 08:34 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: He never mentioned Prillkop resembling the Fool in any way did he?

Hmmmmmmm.

Yes, he does actually. IIRC, when they first spot the Black Man on a hilltop, Fitz finds his stance and his way of moving "oddly familiar", though he can't place where it comes from.

RE: Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) - Liquid Ice - Apr-14-2010

Was the fool actually part of a "race"? Or is it more of a random genetic mutation? Idk I find it hard to say race if there wasn't ever more then a few born and also non ever mated.

(Apr-13-2010, 08:34 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: I know they are the same 'race' but so is Fitz and any human. I doubt PW and the Fool look so different to humans (except for their colouring) when they seem to be easily able to pass for human.

I think of it as sort of like birds...
One kind of bird will move or act differently to another species. There essentially still a bird but because there not the same they will take on subtle differences.

Though maybe it depends on how the white prophet is born. Two normal humans have a baby and it's a white prophet but does the child take on the mother and fathers appearance?
If both the mother and father are HUGELY tall and naturally muscular will the prophet be sleek like the fool? P

RE: Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) - Nuytsia - Apr-15-2010

Oh well I thought I was probably reading too much into it! Just thought it was interesting.
Now that you mention it Chrischa I do vaguely remember something about Fitz thinking the Black Man was oddly familiar before we knew who he was. I think I pondered what the heck that could mean but then later forgot all about it!
He didn't mention anything about it when he got a proper look at him though, at least I don't think so.
Liquid Ice no I don't really think of the prophets as a 'race' myself, but I've seen it referred to that way by others (so I used it but in inverted commas) and I didn't have a better way of saying it! Really I guess it's just a set of traits that are expressed when the necessary genes come together (although I don't think we're meant to apply real world science too closely to it). I think from memory they did used to be a separate race once?
I honestly never thought of the Fool as NOT human, but he does have a freak out when he takes Fitzes memories from Girl on a Dragon and says something like 'it's too human' and also I think Fitz makes some comment about him not being human when he's in his body? That surprised me actually. Real world science would fall down there for sure. If you are the offspring of two humans, you'd be human!

RE: Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) - Chrischa - Apr-16-2010

(Apr-15-2010, 04:11 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: He didn't mention anything about it when he got a proper look at him though, at least I don't think so.

Yeah, but Fitz can be really thick like that. Smiling

RE: Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) - Nuytsia - Apr-17-2010

Heeheehe true! I guess there is a trap in thinking Fitz is an unbiased narrator. I sometimes forget to take account of the fact that it's all through his eyes. And there's some things he doesn't even admit to himself.

RE: Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) - Nuytsia - Apr-18-2010

Ok this one is not really a question, just what I thought was an interesting point.
When Hap wants to get married to his girlfriend (whose name escapes me right now) her family basically think he's not really good enough for her - I think from memory this was mainly because he wasn't earning a good enough living at his age.
It was ironic that had Fitz been in Hap's position at the same age he would probably have been able to marry Molly with no problems. Her father didn't even seem to know what was going on, and Molly had her own trade in any case. It was in fact I guess the reverse situation - Molly was not of high enough birth for Fitz to marry. (in the first trilogy)
It was kind of interesting that so much was made of that. There seemed at that time to be no real shortage of heirs to the throne, so who really cares who a royal bastard marries? I guess he still had some status being of royal blood regardless.

RE: Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) - Farseer - May-02-2010

(Apr-15-2010, 04:11 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: If you are the offspring of two humans, you'd be human!

Ahh, but Fool is the offspring of three humans Wink !

RE: Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) - Nuytsia - May-02-2010

Hehee, yes true and well I'm still wondering how THAT works!

RE: Tawny Man Trilogy - questions (SPOILERS) - Nuytsia - May-05-2010

Here's another question:

When the Fool put the rooster crown back together with his blood do you think he knew he would end up IN the crown?

I mean you'd think he just wanted to die at that point, but surely he knows a lot about the blood thing after all the LST stuff (and who knows what else he got up to that we didn't see re information gathering)