thePlenty.net Forums
Weird and interesting TV facts - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Weird and interesting TV facts (/thread-137.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Farseer - May-04-2010

(Apr-28-2010, 05:54 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: This is going to be embarrasing:

I bought the DVD box set.

Why? Out of a perverse collectors' need to own all of Glalactica, ALL of it. *Hangs head in shame.*

I've never seen/heard of Galactica 80 BUT if I could ever get a boxed set of Blake's 7, I would, and I wouldn't care who knew it Proud !
ps Making this comment was the only way I could squeeze myself into the thread because I don't know any weird or interesting TV facts!!

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Albertosaurus Rex - May-04-2010

Well, there are box sets around, as far as I know.

As for weird stuff: I saw a really strange movie yesterday. It's a French-produced (but English language) movie called Immortals (also known as Immortel ad vivant), apparently based on a French comic, and I couldn't make heads or tails of it. It takes place in New York in 2095, where basically everyone is genetically enhanced. It involves the Egyptian gods arriving in a pyramid-shaped spaceship. Horus is sentenced to death but gets to live for seven days in New York. For some reason, he wants to concieve a child but he has to A) find an unaltered human host and B) can only concieve with a white skinned blue haired alien woman. Yes, throughout history these women pop up, to be impregnated by gods apparently. As part of some alien plan. And the senator attempts to kill her for some reason by releasing a monster that can crawl through pipelines. To top it off, some humans are played by real actors and others are CGI and the Egyptian gods are seen playing Monopoly.

WTF???

Yeah, it isn't really a weird tv fact, but is weird and I didn't feel that it warranted its own topic.

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Farseer - May-04-2010

(May-04-2010, 01:16 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Well, there are box sets around, as far as I know.

Just went on eBay and they're EVERYWHERE, thanks Albertosaurus Rex...if you hadn't mentioned Galactica 80, it would never had got me thinking about Blake's 7!

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Albertosaurus Rex - May-04-2010

You're welcome. Could you give me your asesment (I think I spelt that wrong) of that series? My dad ocasionaly mentions it, but he thinks it's too old for me to enjoy. And he might be right; television series tend to age badly, not just in terms of special effects but pacing, storylines, etc... I mean, I enjoy most of the original Star Trek, but not everything has held up well. And original BSG is so-so most of the time.

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Nuytsia - May-05-2010

Geees Blakes 7, yeah I've heard of it but can't say I've ever seen it (that I remember).
Albertosaurus the fact that old Sci Fi things can age so quickly is what MAKES them good. But then I guess you aren't looking for humour!

Also Albertosaurus that movie you describe sounds scarily familiar - I think I may have seen it!!!! At the end does a giant pyramid take off like a space ship????

Also Farseer don't worry if you don't know any weird or interesting TV facts - I have realised I don't really know any others either. If I could I would rename this thread something broader....... like........ "TV"

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Albertosaurus Rex - May-05-2010

Yes, it does take off in the end. You know, I think that in the original comic, all those elements and storylines may have had more time to breathe, but crammed all in that movie, it's just a mess.

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Nuytsia - May-05-2010

YES I have seen that movie! I distinctly remember wondering what the heck was going on. But not a lot else.

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Nuytsia - May-06-2010

Weird TV fact: I'm watching a movie in Russian and someone in a bar ordered a 'White Russian' ....... for some reason I always assumed in Russia they would call it something else...... although weirdly she said it in English....hmmmm that must mean something.

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Albertosaurus Rex - May-06-2010

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a White Russian?

Does anyone have images again by now? Because I don't.

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Farseer - May-06-2010

A White Russian is a cocktail made from vodka, coffee liqueur and cream. It's only called that because it's got vodka in it, not because it actually originated in Russia...so maybe that's why Russian people still call it that?

No, my images are still out.