thePlenty.net Forums
Weird and interesting TV facts - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Weird and interesting TV facts (/thread-137.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Nuytsia - May-21-2010

(May-20-2010, 09:31 PM (UTC))Lord Punctual Wrote: DSL, I believe, is the internet we now have. (The kind that comes in through a phone line, but it's a separate phone line from the one for our phones.) Wireless internet also became available a little while ago here, but because of topographical issues it doesn't work well at my house. (I'm equidistant between the towers for two rival companies, so their signals kind of mutually block each other out.)

Yep we don't get DSL here yet - I am 30km from a state capital city..... We have JUST got a wireless broadband option that is at least marginally affordable (still much more expensive and slower than landline broadband option). I think most of Australia has at least SOME way of getting wireless broadband, but it's sometimes very very expensive! I think I am correct in assuming most capital cities have DSL type broadband at reasonable prices. (but how far you can be from the city centre varies widely!)

(May-20-2010, 09:31 PM (UTC))Lord Punctual Wrote: I think we have pretty much the worst cell phone/internet/etc reception in the commonwealth. (I'm including parts of Africa.) I actually live only 16 km from a reasonably large town, and I don't get cable TV or cell phone reception.

Hehe you MAY have us beaten...... I have just recently got reasonable mobile phone reception (cell phone). A few years ago we didn't get it here OR in the other place where we were renting a house at the time!
(the other side of the capital city, also about 30km away)

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Nuytsia - Jun-01-2010

(Apr-19-2010, 05:52 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: The Lone Gunmen is the only Chris Carter series where Terry O'Quinn (aka John Locke) didn't make an appearance? He actually had 3 different roles in the X-files (well 2 if you don't count the first movie) and he was a pretty important figure in both Harsh Realm and Millennium.

Weird TV fact: That guy (who played John Locke) was also in an episode of Star Trek: TNG as Riker's old Captain ..... so I have just been 'reliably' informed...

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Farseer - Jun-06-2010

I have just spent the last fifteen minutes cutting my son's hair. While that in itself isn't unusual, it borders on strange when I add in that he was wearing a huge, afro wig at the time and I had to style it so he looked like Jonah Takalua from 'Summer Heights High'.

For a school assignment, he has chosen to role-play Jonah as an alternate personality who undertakes an interview on the subject of the Australian identity, so, all for a good cause but it's certainly not something I ever thought I'd be doing!

Not really to topic BUT it is weird AND it IS sort of about TV...Big Grin !!

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Nuytsia - Jun-06-2010

Hey his project sounds really interesting! I'd like to see that!
And I must admit I have never cut anyone's hair, let alone a wig. Although it has crossed my mind as a way to save money (cutting hair not wigs), but I figured a less potentially hair destroying way is probably to delay a professional hair cut and tie my hair up in various ways.

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Farseer - Jun-07-2010

Dare I say that many years ago, when I was working on a really isolated sheep station (and hadn't been off the place for more than a month), I got so sick of my very long hair that I put it up in a pig-tail and lopped off the entire thing with a butcher's knife (couldn't find a mirror, let alone a pair of scissors!).

To then say that my hair-dresser was angry with me, when I got back to town, is just a slight understatement Wink .

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Nuytsia - Jun-07-2010

Hehe unreal! That's almost in the category of 'I've always wanted to do that'!
CHOP!

I guess I am more used to long hair than short hair so it doesn't bother me actually - in fact I find short hair worse because I never think to tie it back (or it's so short you can't really) and then when I least expect it gets in my eyes when I'm trying to work on something! ARGH Hate that. It's probably not short enough that's the problem, I need one of those practical military style jobbies. .. .. Blink

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Farseer - Jun-26-2010

Not really a fact but I have been watching some old episodes of 'Monkey'...gotta love a bit of Monkey magic...ah, the memories!!!

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Nuytsia - Jul-14-2010

Yay Monkey! I have a remix of the theme song on my mp3 player.

Another weird TV fact - Danger Mouse is back on !!!

Another ABC classic!

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - 'thul - Jul-15-2010

(May-18-2010, 04:29 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Stargate SG-1 (sci-fi)

These beings like that show. They also like the shows set in the same universe that were made after that show.

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Farseer - Oct-14-2010

Not weird and not a fact BUT could be interesting? If you're an Aussie who can view Channel Ten, watching 'Keeping up with the Joneses' (on right now, at least here in Qld) might give you a bit of an insight into my kind of life (minus the corny, show pony aspects!).