thePlenty.net Forums
Weird and interesting TV facts - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Weird and interesting TV facts (/thread-137.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Farseer - Oct-14-2010

Ignore my last...I would not want you to watch the show and think that I am anything like that Dodgy !

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Nuytsia - Oct-14-2010

Hmm I guess this means the Commonwealth Games are over! (If channel 10 has actual programs on)
I missed the show but I just saw the synopsis in the TV guide.
I take it from your second post it turned into one of those reality TV horror stories........

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Farseer - Oct-14-2010

Yup, she's all over, with the last gold medal having been won by the Kiwi netball team (at the expense of us Aussies :( ) .

As for the reality show, well, I just didn't get a good feeling from some of the people, and worry that the showing of it will do more harm than good as far as sharing what life is truly like on a cattle station. Hopefully people understand that, like all reality programs, it is only one person's/family's journey or experience and way of doing things...

I felt so sorry for the young fella who turned up to be the new helicopter pilot...he walked through the gate to the homestead and was asked "Did you bring a hat?" and "Do you have a swag?", and his response to both questions was, "No". :uhhuh: Poor bloke, and they made him look like such an idiot because he'd not taken these things and had never been on a cattle station before. How would he KNOW to take them if nobody had told him, and it's not like he can walk down the road to a shop to buy them once he's there! Very irresponsible, unorganised and uncaring of his new employers who obviously hadn't even bothered to try and prepare him for what he was facing and give him a list of what things he'd need out there :dodgy: .

As the pilot said, "I know it's in Oz but it still feels like a completely different country out here"...I was disgusted that they didn't help to make the transition easier, but it was easy to see why it's so hard for us to get people to start or stay in the rural industry!!

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - IceBlade - Oct-18-2010

So.... this could be either the weirdest coincidence ever, or just a completely random "Wow, that is just crazy freakin' timing!"

So my roommate is completely obsessed with MTV's "The Real World" after they filmed where we lived "DC" and she decided to relive all of her old real world memories with box sets etc. She's currently watching the London one from the mid-90s. As she's watching, I'm reading up on Robin Hobb's wikipedia page to see when the next book will be released. Turns out one of the RW kids (obviously an adult now) is named "Kat Ogden" from Washington via Kodiak Island, not 10 seconds after I skimmed over the blurb about the author's real name being Margaret Ogden and hailing from WA via Kodiak Island.

I checked the wild wonderful internet quickly and then got bored when I found nothing and came here instead. Is it possible that Robin Hobb's kid/niece/cousin/etc was on the real world and this was the crazy strange way I discovered it? Ages seem about right, her MTV bio says her mom is a freelance author (all the info i could find).

If so, that is one of the most random meldings of internet, tv, books and just weird "Hey I wonder if..." of all time for me. If it's not, that is just a CRAZY coincidence!

Anyone know?

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Farseer - Oct-18-2010

That's AWESOME Yay, and welcome to thePlenty, IceBlade!

Mervi once mentioned that Robin's daughter was named Kat and, as Robin's assistant (or whatever title she holds), she has an email link so readers can ask Robin questions and this is called 'Ask the Kat'...sounds pretty conclusive to me!! It's also one of the reasons why I think Robin likes to include so many 'cat' references in her writing, sort of as a homage to her daughter?

Mervi will know for certain, I'm sure....good one, IceBlade, and fits both the thread AND the entire site perfectly P !!!
I have just found firm evidence that you're correct...it IS her Big Grin ...I just have to work out these darned links!
Supporting evidence for IceBlade's theory:

Lunch with Robin Hobb and Kat Ogden The picture of the young lady at the bottom of the site page sure looks like the Kat Ogden from TRW! Also, if Kat's heading up her own film company, it's highly likely she's been an actress herself?

Kat Ogden This says that Kat Ogden from TRW comes from Tacoma, Washington, which is where Robin is at right now! That's pretty firm evidence, huh?

Kat's Company's site

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - IceBlade - Oct-18-2010

Thanks for the welcome!

That's much better sleuthing on your part than mine, that looks like it's pretty legit.

100% one of the strangest things I've ever stumbled across, what a weird world...

Now I guess I'll have to re-read the first trilogy to see if I can find some MTV references right?

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Mervi - Oct-18-2010

Seeing this just now, but yeah... I'll just throw her IMDB page to the mix. Also - you might want to check out the dedication page of Assassin's Quest. Wink

(I *swear* I'll get the dedications added to the wiki one day...)

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - IceBlade - Oct-19-2010

Ok cool, well that settles it then, I happened to have the books handy as I was going to do a re-read.

" To the very real Kat Ogden,

Who threatened at an early age to grow up and be
a tap dancing,
fencing
judoka,
movie star,
archaeologist, and
President of the United States.

And is getting frighteningly close to the end of her list.

Never mistake the movie for the book."

Considering TRW Kat Ogden is apparently a fencing superstar, that's simply too much anecdotal evidence.

Hahahaha, who would have thought right?

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Farseer - Oct-19-2010

Thanks Mervi.

I remember that dedication (now that it's right in front of me Wink !). Thanks for putting it up IceBlade and, yes, you take the cake for' Weird and interesting TV facts'!

Typical Robin Hobb stuff at work here...everything is right there beneath our nose and it's just up to us to have to find it and connect the dots :rolleyes: !
(Oct-18-2010, 03:38 AM (UTC))IceBlade Wrote: Now I guess I'll have to re-read the first trilogy to see if I can find some MTV references right?

You never know...she manages to fit most everything else into the layers Big Grin !

RE: Weird and interesting TV facts - Mervi - Oct-19-2010

I've never seen TRW so I have to ask whether she does anything related to archeology in it? Robin has mentioned judo several times in her newsgroup when talking about her family (most recently just a day or two ago referring to books about it) but the archeology part has always been a bit of a mystery to me. I mean, there's always [[Cut]] but we should try to remember that's fiction... Wink