thePlenty.net Forums
The to-read pile - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The to-read pile (/thread-138.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Jul-26-2012

I am more excited about my to-read pile than I have been in a long, long time...but I can't tell you about it just yet P because, if I do, I'm going to jinx things. Ouch Still, I had to come here to tell you that I can't tell you just to drive you bonkers for a couple of days...! Wink

Just sometimes, life works. Proud

RE: The to-read pile - 'thul - Jul-26-2012

If someone is already "bonkers", can you still drive them "bonkers"?

RE: The to-read pile - fool-ish - Jul-26-2012

(Jul-26-2012, 01:21 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: If someone is already "bonkers", can you still drive them "bonkers"?

They could become more bonkers, I suppose..

perhaps, but is not the requirement for driving someone insane that the person is not insane to begin with? there's no denying that an insane person can be made less sane, but that would not be the same as making them insane to begin with...

it would be like the comparison of lighting a fire and pouring something flammable on an already burning fire, so that it will burn brighter/hotter... using the same on a non-burning fire will not cause it to spontaneously ignite...

(Jul-26-2012, 08:10 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: perhaps, but is not the requirement for driving someone insane that the person is not insane to begin with? there's no denying that an insane person can be made less sane, but that would not be the same as making them insane to begin with...

it would be like the comparison of lighting a fire and pouring something flammable on an already burning fire, so that it will burn brighter/hotter... using the same on a non-burning fire will not cause it to spontaneously ignite...
There, you've answered your own question P

why do you point out minor facts like that and ruin a perfectly good argument?

(Jul-26-2012, 08:49 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: why do you point out minor facts like that and ruin a perfectly good argument?
Just to wind you up, obviously P

RE: The to-read pile - 'thul - Jul-27-2012

excellent... most excellent...

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Aug-07-2012

I'm adding Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy to my to-read pile. So far the first book 'Prince of Thorns' is out and the second 'King of Thorns' (UK version) is due to be released on the 16th of this month. I was searching for some info on the series after a Harper Voyager notification and was surprised when I came across something extra that excited me. Smiling Of 'Prince of Thorns', this is what our Tangle Leader, Robin Hobb, apparently had to say:

Quote:′Dark and relentless, ′Prince of Thorns′ will pull you under and drown you in story. A two in the morning page turner. Jaw-dropping′ Robin Hobb

Sounds like good stuff!
(Jul-26-2012, 11:37 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I am more excited about my to-read pile than I have been in a long, long time...but I can't tell you about it just yet because, if I do, I'm going to jinx things. Still, I had to come here to tell you that I can't tell you just to drive you bonkers for a couple of days...!

Just sometimes, life works.

I did, indeed, jinx myself with this post. I'd been watching something on eBay but life events meant that I missed the end of the auction and thus had let the books on offer go without having even made a bid. Down Mad Rant Crying Crying Crying

I am talking of the entire Ki and Vandien quartet, all in excellent condition, sold for $14.10 AUD. Crying Crying Crying

I still can't believe it....! It was one of those once-in-a-blue-moon chances!!! I was so very excited to finally have the opportunity to own them all. Damn you Life!!!! Rant

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Aug-09-2012

(Aug-07-2012, 06:07 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I'm adding Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy to my to-read pile. So far the first book 'Prince of Thorns' is out and the second 'King of Thorns' (UK version) is due to be released on the 16th of this month. I was searching for some info on the series after a Harper Voyager notification and was surprised when I came across something extra that excited me. Smiling Of 'Prince of Thorns', this is what our Tangle Leader, Robin Hobb, apparently had to say:

Quote:′Dark and relentless, ′Prince of Thorns′ will pull you under and drown you in story. A two in the morning page turner. Jaw-dropping′ Robin Hobb

Sounds like good stuff!

Someone on the Australian Voyager Online site just described 'Prince of Thorns' as being "hard core GRR Martin". Thought you GRR fans may like to know! Wink