thePlenty.net Forums
The to-read pile - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The to-read pile (/thread-138.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: The to-read pile - joost - Oct-15-2010

- The gathering storm (Robert Jordan). Probably won't be off the list until #13 and #14 are published, and I've read volume 1-11 again.
- Pluto, a manga based on Astroboy (borrowed from my sister's bf)
- The legend of Sigurd and Gudrún (Tolkien) just got off the pile
- De laatste tempelier vol. 2 (comic based on the book by Raymond Khoury). Technically this isn't on my pile, since aforementioned bf borrowed it

And almost on my list (should be mailed to me in about two or three weeks):
- Angel, Vol. 6: Last Angel in Hell (Angel (Numbered Hardcover))
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight Volume 7: Twilight
- Spike: The Devil You Know

[Can you guess I like the Buffyverse?]

RE: The to-read pile - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-15-2010

Absolutely, and I think it's also pretty clear where you stand on the whole tie-in fiction issue, right?

RE: The to-read pile - redchild - Oct-16-2010

Many of these I've started but haven't had time/gotten around to picking up again.

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. I've read the first few chapters.
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Read a few chapters. Very interesting so far.
The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov.
Death by Black Hole by Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
Dune by Frank Herbert. About a quarter way through.
Island by Alduous Huxley. His allusions to things during his time is getting annoying. I don't want to stop and research what he's talking about every half page through.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I know-- shocking...that I never finished this.
The Candle in the Wind by T.H. White. On the other hand, I don't mind very much of White's allusions.
The McKenny's Carry On by Ruth McKenny
The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards.
Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi
The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.
The Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain.
The Undiscovered Self by C.G. Jung.
A Storm of Swords by GRR Martin. I'm about a third through.
Carl Sagan: A Life in the Cosmos by William Poundstone.
Dear Fatty by Dawn French.

I'm so overwhelmed. Too many books too little time Surrender
And they're taking up too much shelf space...

RE: The to-read pile - Mervi - Oct-16-2010

(Oct-15-2010, 05:23 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: - The legend of Sigurd and Gudrún (Tolkien) just got off the pile

This has been on my pile for too long too! But I want to finish Völsungasaga first - I found it as a free audiobook from LibriVox (I listen to it with my shiny iPhone with this app).

Do you guys go through your to-read piles in certain order (first bought first read for example) or do you just pick whatever suits your mood?

RE: The to-read pile - joost - Oct-16-2010

(Oct-15-2010, 09:36 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Absolutely, and I think it's also pretty clear where you stand on the whole tie-in fiction issue, right?
It depends. I buy these Buffy-books because I'm a Buffy fan and because I'm a comic-book fan (all the books I mentioned are comics). I have three ordinary Buffy-books (Tales of the slayers part 2-4), and I hardly ever touch them, because they're less interesting.

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Oct-17-2010

(Oct-14-2010, 06:28 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: * The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest by the late Stieg Larsson.

I don't have them on my literal pile but they're definitely on my figurative one...interesting to hear about the translations too Uhhuh !

Sometimes I read my books in order, but usually I choose a book to suit my mood or even someone else's applied pressure eg I cave and read the book they want me to read, just so they get off my back!

Time is also a factor (probably the biggest) as I hate starting a book and not being able to finish it either in the same sitting or the next one, especially if it requires thought or muddling through riddles. Seems to be getting harder and harder to do these days...

RE: The to-read pile - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-17-2010

(Oct-16-2010, 05:01 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: Do you guys go through your to-read piles in certain order (first bought first read for example) or do you just pick whatever suits your mood?

I mostly go with what strikes my mood. Some books have spent years on the to-read pile before I got into the right mood.

Larsson's books are on my "mental" to-read pile too. I haven't bought them yet, but I want to check them out.

RE: The to-read pile - joost - Oct-17-2010

(Oct-16-2010, 05:01 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote:
(Oct-15-2010, 05:23 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: - The legend of Sigurd and Gudrún (Tolkien) just got off the pile

This has been on my pile for too long too! But I want to finish Völsungasaga first
I just finished it. The commentary chapters are very interesting, but the poems themselves are quite hard to read, since everything is quite abbreviated due to the forced length of the sentences due to the metre.

I don't really like audiobooks, so I'm skipping the Völsung one.

RE: The to-read pile - Mervi - Oct-18-2010

I've found that audiobooks are a great way to get to sleep very quickly! Big Grin

And no, I don't mean that the ones I've tried have been boring or bad - I guess they just have a lullaby/bed time story effect on me. It took at least three tries for me to get through Neil Gaiman's excellent A Study In Emerald without falling asleep in the middle - and that's only 50 minutes long.

RE: The to-read pile - Nuytsia - Oct-20-2010

(Oct-17-2010, 11:14 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Time is also a factor (probably the biggest) as I hate starting a book and not being able to finish it either in the same sitting or the next one, especially if it requires thought or muddling through riddles. Seems to be getting harder and harder to do these days...

Aieeeee! Reading a book in one or two sittings? Wha??
I like to savour them if they are good, and if they aren't I don't want to keep reading! Either way I'm probably going to read it over at least a week!