thePlenty.net Forums
The to-read pile - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The to-read pile (/thread-138.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: The to-read pile - Maulkin's Tangle - Dec-23-2010

(Dec-23-2010, 01:59 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Is that the order you're reading the books in?

My reading pile hasn't really gotten thinner or thicker recently. There's still the entire Deryni Chronicles, Prince of Nothing and Godspeaker trilogies in there, as well as the third and final book of The Stone Dance of the Chameleon. I have quite some reading to do.

Hi Albertosaurus Rex,

Yes - that's my reading order - I'd got my hands on the complete Dark Tower series a (good) few months ago and thought I'd be finished before Surface Detail and Thomas Covenant came out but I got waylaid with work and other things. The Patricia Mackillip ones could be fantastic: one of my favourite ever set of books was the Riddlemaster trilogy. Nothing else has never quite hit the mark, but I'm always willing to give them a try.

I'll be honest and say that I don't know anything about the trilogies you mentioned there - would you compare their styles to anyone on my list?

RE: The to-read pile - Albertosaurus Rex - Dec-23-2010

The only authors on your list that I have read are GRRM and Donaldson (But only the first Covenant trilogy though.) I will try my best.

Ricardo Pinto: The Stone Dance of the Chameleon: If you like your fantasy dark, you will love this guy. The society presented in these books is absolutely merciless. Also notable for containing no magic, but still being shelved with the fantasy books. It's not without its flaws, though. The books sometimes feel like they could be shorter and the protagonist is often quite passive. The worldbuilding is often more interesting than the actual story.

R. Scott Bakker: The Prince of Nothing. Very dark. Many people can't get into this trilogy. I have tried the first book a few ago and gave up after about 150 pages. The ideas were interesting but its wasn't an easy read. However, I liked other books by Bakker much more. His thriller Neuropath is one of my favorite novels, even though it is extremely disturbing. His other thriller, Disciple of the Dog, is less impressive but still okay. So I'll be giving him another try in the future.

Karen Miller: Godspeaker. I got these at a discount price. Apparently its very dark. I haven't read anything yet by Miller.

Katherine Kurtz: Deryni Chronicles. Haven't read anything by this author either. Pat from Pat's Fantasy Hotlist describes her writing as "a cross between Robin Hobb and GRRM", but also mentions that she only really hits her stride with the second Deryni trilogy. Apparently this first one is a little more traditional than what follows. Released a few years ago in a revised edition.

You'll notice that I keep stressing how dark some of these books are. This seems to be a common thread in the books on your list too, from what I've read and heard.

RE: The to-read pile - Maulkin's Tangle - Dec-23-2010

dark is good! :-)

I'll definately add them to the list thanks!

RE: The to-read pile - Nuytsia - Jan-12-2011

What did you think of the Dark Tower series?
Someone recommended it to me a few years back and I wasn't sure I'd like it but I must say I really enjoyed it. Maybe partly because I had someone who liked it to talk to about it as I was reading - that helps!

RE: The to-read pile - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-12-2011

I have to say I've never read it. My dad enjoys it, though.

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Jan-21-2011

Have just added 'Your Voice in my Head' by Emma Forrest, to get to "one day".

RE: The to-read pile - Albertosaurus Rex - Mar-07-2011

While my to-read pile is still stupidly large, I am now slowly whittling it down. I have resolved to not buy any new books for the time being (my birthday a few weeks from now will likely take care of that), with three exceptions - Hobb's The Inheritance, Martin's A Dance with Dragons and Jacques' The Rogue crew I'm going to buy ASAP.

Recent reads from the pile have included Pinto's The Third God, Ellison's Again, Dangerous Visions and the Deryni books by Katherine Kurtz that I'm currently reading. After that, I'm planning to read Howard Waldrop's collection Things Will Never Be The Same and at least make a start with Karen Miller's Godspeaker trilogy.

RE: The to-read pile - Maulkin's Tangle - Jun-07-2011

(Jan-12-2011, 08:46 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: What did you think of the Dark Tower series?
Someone recommended it to me a few years back and I wasn't sure I'd like it but I must say I really enjoyed it. Maybe partly because I had someone who liked it to talk to about it as I was reading - that helps!

Hi Nuytsia,

I've been away a while... Smiling

I actually only completed the Dark Tower series a couple of months ago, and overall I enjoyed it pretty much.

The first four books of the seven are easily the best, with three (The Wastelands) and four (Wizard and Glass), the cream of the crop. The series dips a little over the last three books, but still very readable.

In conclusion, worth the read.

Since then I have read 'Against All Things Ending' by Stephen Donaldson (Last Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant Pt 3) and am currently working through the Millenium Trilogy. I have enjoyed all my reading so far this year.

RE: The to-read pile - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-07-2011

Well, the last two months have been bad for my to-read pile. Not that I don't like receiving books for my birthday, but it took me a while to get through them. Wizard of the Pigeons suddenly returning to print didn't help matters either. But now, I have finally taken Karen Miller's Empress off the pile and it's a good read so far... but hoo boy, is it ever grim and gritty.

Welcome back Maulkin's Tangle. Haven't seen you around for a while.

RE: The to-read pile - Maulkin's Tangle - Jun-07-2011

Thanks Albertosaurus Rex!

I've had a lot of stuff on over the last few months - hopefully I'll be able to stay up to date with the chat from now on.