thePlenty.net Forums
The to-read pile - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The to-read pile (/thread-138.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: The to-read pile - fool-ish - Jul-09-2011

(May-18-2010, 02:36 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Based on all of your endorsements, I have just purchased and added the GRRM A Song of Ice and Fire books to my 'to-read' pile, as well as Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician trilogy Book .
Did you read The Black Magician Trilogy Farseer? They're a good read, I've read them a few times and actually took my battered copy of The Magicians Guild to a signing event by Trudi a couple of months back. I'm waiting impatiently for her new book, The Rogue to become a little cheaper..not happening yet, alas!

I don't have a pile of books as such, but I do have a mahoosive wish list with Amazon. Said list doesn't get any smaller because I keep adding to it, nor is it in any particular order.

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Jul-16-2011

Yes, my sons and I all read them and also enjoyed them very much, fool-ish (though I must admit that, as with any author I read these days, I couldn't help but draw comparisons to her Hobbness). Blushing

I have two copies (due to some overzealous visits to The Book Depository coupled with my failing memory!) of The Magician's Apprentice waiting for me to get stuck in to when time allows. I also have the The Age of the Five trilogy and the first two books of The Traitor Spy trilogy on my to-read list. Not that I have even opened the Fiona McIntosh books that I was supposed to be reading over the school holidays...yes, the holidays that finished over a week ago!

I've been looking at old posts but can't find if you ever mentioned where you are based, fool-ish. Was it at SupaNova in Melbourne that you met up with Trudi? I was so disappointed to discover that she was going there but not to Brisbane! Down

Speaking of my to-read pile, I will soon have to add Book Eleven, 'The Lost Stories', of John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series. It is apparently due for an Australian release in October. Yay

RE: The to-read pile - fool-ish - Jul-17-2011

(Jul-16-2011, 07:16 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Yes, my sons and I all read them and also enjoyed them very much, fool-ish (though I must admit that, as with any author I read these days, I couldn't help but draw comparisons to her Hobbness). Blushing

I have two copies (due to some overzealous visits to The Book Depository coupled with my failing memory!) of The Magician's Apprentice waiting for me to get stuck in to when time allows. I also have the The Age of the Five trilogy and the first two books of The Traitor Spy trilogy on my to-read list. Not that I have even opened the Fiona McIntosh books that I was supposed to be reading over the school holidays...yes, the holidays that finished over a week ago!

I've been looking at old posts but can't find if you ever mentioned where you are based, fool-ish. Was it at SupaNova in Melbourne that you met up with Trudi? I was so disappointed to discover that she was going there but not to Brisbane! Down

Speaking of my to-read pile, I will soon have to add Book Eleven, 'The Lost Stories', of John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series. It is apparently due for an Australian release in October. Yay

I'm in England, Farseer. I met Trudi in Manchester during her European tour. First time I'd been to anything like that and I hope I didn't come across all fangirl-like! I'm too old to be a fangirl of anything! It was good though and I did ask a couple of questions about things that were just left 'dangling' (so to speak) in the books.

I read Black Magician etc. before Robin Hobb's books. In fact, Trudi's books drew me into the realms of fantasy. Harry Potter was next, on the insistence of my daughter who absolutely adores them. Then, on perusing Amazon, I came across Assassin's Apprentice, read the reviews, decided it sounded pretty good and the rest, as they say is history. Re-reading AQ now until I decide what to buy next. Trudi's 'The Rogue' is still too expensive! Blink

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Aug-23-2011

I'm adding the Watergivers trilogy (The Last Stormlord, Stormlord Rising and Stormlord's Exile) by Glenda Larke to my list. Have any of you ever read anything of hers?

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Sep-15-2011

(Jul-17-2011, 10:45 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: I met Trudi in Manchester during her European tour. First time I'd been to anything like that and I hope I didn't come across all fangirl-like! I'm too old to be a fangirl of anything!

Me too and, yet, here I am, sitting down chatting with you on a fan site (!!) and no doubt sounded the same as you did when I met Robin! P

(Jul-17-2011, 10:45 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: I read Black Magician etc. before Robin Hobb's books. In fact, Trudi's books drew me into the realms of fantasy.

Kind of cross-posting here but I think that anyone who has enjoyed the Black Magician story would also enjoy the Watergivers trilogy. It took me a while to get over the fact that paragraphing was noticably absent, and to finally accept the fact that fantasy does often tend to repeat itself at times but, still, once I connected with a couple of the characters, the story drew me in and I cared about what was going to happen to them (despite the fact that there were no 'surprises' for me).

A land that is controlled by whomever controls the water is something I can easily imagine, particularly when I've often experienced times of water 'lack' due to droughts, busted pipes, ruined pumps or broken windmills...or animals such as horses dying in a house dam, and you only discover it after it has been in there for quite some time and after you have been bathing in it and also washing your clothes and your dishes in it for the same period of time! Ouch

I'm not sure what it worse...that or sitting down to a drink of tea or coffee only to discover mid-way through that a frog has wiggled its way into your kettle and there are bits of it floating in your cup...

RE: The to-read pile - 'thul - Sep-15-2011

boiled/seeped frog isnt all that bad... eating an apple (or similar fruit) and discovering half a worm is a bit worse...

RE: The to-read pile - joost - Sep-15-2011

- Anne/Todd McCaffrey - Several Pern books
- Alan Moore - Tom Strong 1-3 (comic)
- Alan Moore - Promethea 1-4 (comic)
- Masakazu Katsura - I''s valume 1-3 (manga)
- Two Buffy collections
- Bill Willingham - Ironwood 2 (comic)

RE: The to-read pile - fool-ish - Sep-15-2011

(Sep-15-2011, 12:15 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Jul-17-2011, 10:45 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: I met Trudi in Manchester during her European tour. First time I'd been to anything like that and I hope I didn't come across all fangirl-like! I'm too old to be a fangirl of anything!

Me too and, yet, here I am, sitting down chatting with you on a fan site (!!) and no doubt sounded the same as you did when I met Robin! P

(Jul-17-2011, 10:45 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: I read Black Magician etc. before Robin Hobb's books. In fact, Trudi's books drew me into the realms of fantasy.

Kind of cross-posting here but I think that anyone who has enjoyed the Black Magician story would also enjoy the Watergivers trilogy. It took me a while to get over the fact that paragraphing was noticably absent, and to finally accept the fact that fantasy does often tend to repeat itself at times but, still, once I connected with a couple of the characters, the story drew me in and I cared about what was going to happen to them (despite the fact that there were no 'surprises' for me).

A land that is controlled by whomever controls the water is something I can easily imagine, particularly when I've often experienced times of water 'lack' due to droughts, busted pipes, ruined pumps or broken windmills...or animals such as horses dying in a house dam, and you only discover it after it has been in there for quite some time and after you have been bathing in it and also washing your clothes and your dishes in it for the same period of time! Ouch

I'm not sure what it worse...that or sitting down to a drink of tea or coffee only to discover mid-way through that a frog has wiggled its way into your kettle and there are bits of it floating in your cup...
Ok, yep I'm a fangirl! I didn't realise you'd met Robin! Yay I think I'd be dithering and squeaking like a fangirl of much younger years if I ever met her! My usual sensible, mother of two teenagers persona would go straight out the window! Did I say sensible just then? Blink

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Sep-16-2011

Yes, my eldest son and I met Robin this year during her April tour to Australia, fool-ish. Yay I, ahem, was meant to do a, ahem, report to share with everyone but then discovered that I took few pics so it's ahem, still half done and so I now have...guilt. I'll complete it 'one day'! Blushing

(Sep-15-2011, 01:56 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: boiled/seeped frog isnt all that bad... eating an apple (or similar fruit) and discovering half a worm is a bit worse...

You 'thul beings underestimate my dislike of frogs. With a worm I think I could convince myself that it was no worse than eating a witchetty grub, but a frog? Well, it's a FROG...cooked or raw makes no difference to me!! The only thing worse would be cane toad bits swimming in my cuppa... *shudders* ...blecky!

Back on topic Smiling , I am adding Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay to my to-read pile, as well as Andy McDermott's The Sacred Vault (I've read all the others of his so may as well read the last one!). Oh, joost has reminded me to get a move on to the Pern books too!

RE: The to-read pile - 'thul - Sep-16-2011

These beings did not know you had anything particular against frogs. Is it the same about tadpoles?