thePlenty.net Forums
The to-read pile - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The to-read pile (/thread-138.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: The to-read pile - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-16-2011

I have been steadily whittling down my to-read pile this year, buying very few new books and taking a lot of books off the pile. The Soldier Son trilogy, the Deryni trilogy, those mediocre historical novels about Nodstradamus and Mercator, The Third God, Final Blackout, Again Dangerous Visions, Empress... all from the pile. Still waiting for me though:

Books two and three of the Godspeaker trilogy, by Karen Miller
The Prince of Nothing trilogy, by R. Scott Bakker
The Khaavren Romances, by Steven Brust
The First and Second Books of Lankhmar (Omnibus editions of the Swords series), by Fritz Leiber
The Sundering duology, by Jacqueline Carey
The Steel Remains, by Richard Morgan

...Among others. Crazy, isn't it? But compared to how big the pile was only a few months ago...

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Oct-03-2011

I've got about seven books currently opened and started and here I am, adding to my to-read pile!

I picked up 'Nightpeople', the first book in Anthony Faton's The Darklands trilogy. My closest library is only very, very small but the number of fantasy books there at present is quite astonishing, and fantastic! Clapping

RE: The to-read pile - fool-ish - Oct-04-2011

A colleague has loaned me a copy of 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.' I feel I should read it because the world and his wife has. Quite what's preventing me, I've no idea. Undecided

RE: The to-read pile - 'thul - Oct-04-2011

reading the "popular" books is never fun... more fun to read the obscure but good books. and of course the occasional book that is unpopular.

RE: The to-read pile - fool-ish - Oct-04-2011

The exception to that rule would be my enjoyment of ASOIAF! That aside, your explanation is probably correct. Most folk have never heard of the author or book when told what I'm currently reading.

RE: The to-read pile - 'thul - Oct-05-2011

ASOIAF became popular after it was proven obscure but good. particularly around the time of the release of the "game of thrones" TV series...

RE: The to-read pile - fool-ish - Oct-05-2011

I can't imagine it ever being 'obscure' now, though I'm sure it was. I'd certainly never heard of George RR Martin before his books came up as recommendations on Amazon.

RE: The to-read pile - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-05-2011

After having removed one more book from the pile (The Riven Kingdom) I have become sorely tempted to add a new book. I came across a rather interesting book at the discount section of a local bookstore: a hardcover edition of Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak. If it's still there tomorrow, I might snatch it up...

EDIT: Also, a book I ordered arrived at another bookstore today, where I'll be picking it up tomorrow. The Dark World by Henry Kuttner, which has a cover that simultaneously had me go "That's absolurly horrible, I don't want to be spotted with that!" and "Awesome, I have to know what's going on here!"

RE: The to-read pile - Nuytsia - Oct-06-2011

Awesomely cheesy!
'Introduction by Piers Anthony' seems very appropriate!

RE: The to-read pile - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-09-2011

Is it? Aside from one short story, I have never read anything by Piers Anthony, so I'm not quite sure in what way this is apropriate.

The Planet Stories line consists mostly of reprints of very old fantasy and SF books and their covers are completely lacking any kind of sublety. I think it's kind of refreshing. (Note to self: must immediatly pick up a copy of The Anubis Murders.)

Anyway, by now I've actually read The Dark World and I have to admit the story wasn't quite as much fun as the cover art. Never judge a book by its cover, isn't that what they say? But it's still a very important marketing tool...