thePlenty.net Forums
The to-read pile - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The to-read pile (/thread-138.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: The to-read pile - 'thul - Oct-10-2011

Some covers do tend to highlight minor aspects of a story and suppress the major aspects... Others are just too vague to reveal much of anything at all.

RE: The to-read pile - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-10-2011

Well, I finally did buy Doctor Zhivago. Which has been transliterated to Dutch as Dokter Zjivago, which I think looks kind of dumb - couldn't they have used the "Zh" spelling? It looks so much more graceful. I don't know how much time it will spend on the pile, but there is some other stuff I want to read first...

RE: The to-read pile - 'thul - Oct-10-2011

The fact that they transliterated the name indicates that they actually thought a little at least while translating...

RE: The to-read pile - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-14-2011

Given that the novel was written in Russian, it would remarkable if the name wasn't transliterated - unless you want them to keep the character names in Cyrillic script...

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Oct-18-2011

I was in a nearby country town last week so, of course, visited the local library while I had the chance. As I wandered around I couldn't help but notice a man who'd looked like he'd just walked in from a big morning out in a dusty paddock, but was so enthralled with a book that he was reading that he didn't once move on the sofa he was lounging on, or give anyone else in the building so much as a curious glance...

It got to me in the end and so I just had to approach and ask him what book could capture his attention so thoroughly. It was 'Secret River' by Kate Grenville, the first book of a trilogy - one that is now firmly on my to-read pile!

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Oct-27-2011

Arrabella Candelabra by A K Wrox sounds like my kind of book, so adding it to my pile! Big Grin

RE: The to-read pile - Farseer - Oct-29-2011

In town today for my daughter's weekly swimming lesson and went past a thrift shop whose doors I found were open for the first time in eleven years. In there I bought a near new copy of Cecelia Ahern's The Book of Tomorrow so have placed that on my ever-growing, never-decreasing pile of books yet to be read...

RE: The to-read pile - joost - Nov-08-2011

I bought Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake today. It's been on my wantlist for quite awhile now, and I found a really nice hardcover version today.

RE: The to-read pile - fool-ish - Dec-19-2011

Christmas gifts! Dragon Keeper, Dragon Haven and George Martin's Fevre Dream..all waiting to be read at some point after Christmas Day. Much excitement! Yay

RE: The to-read pile - fool-ish - Dec-26-2011

A wonderful surprise gift from the kids...A Dance with Dragons! Clapping