thePlenty.net Forums
Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? (/thread-1426.html)

Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? - linkrulesx10 - Nov-01-2014

Hi

I thoroughly enjoyed assassin's apprentice, I am now part way through royal assassin and enjoying it except for the parts where it leaves me incredibly depressed. I get overly attached to characters and almost require a happy ending.

With as few spoilers as possible I would highly appreciate it if someone could tell me if fitz has a happy ending?
I normally wouldn't bother people with a question like this however I can't google it without subjecting myself to spoilers.

RE: Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? - Mephistopheles - Nov-01-2014

The Trilogy has a bitter-sweet ending. But Fitz's story is still going on in other trilogies...

RE: Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? - linkrulesx10 - Nov-02-2014

(Nov-01-2014, 08:28 PM (UTC))Mephistopheles Wrote: The Trilogy has a bitter-sweet ending. But Fitz's story is still going on in other trilogies...

Thank you kindly. That is much appreciated, I guess I shall put this book series aside till a later time when I am more emotionally resilient.

RE: Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? - KekPafrany - Jan-02-2015

(Nov-02-2014, 01:47 PM (UTC))linkrulesx10 Wrote: Thank you kindly. That is much appreciated, I guess I shall put this book series aside till a later time when I am more emotionally resilient.

You can read.. Because the every trilogy is more-or-less finished. Not too much honey and sweetness, that is true, but you can find peace with the endings.

RE: Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? - matt_o - Mar-08-2018

(Nov-01-2014, 02:31 PM (UTC))linkrulesx10 Wrote: Hi

I thoroughly enjoyed assassin's apprentice, I am now part way through royal assassin and enjoying it except for the parts where it leaves me incredibly depressed. I get overly attached to characters and almost require a happy ending.

With as few spoilers as possible I would highly appreciate it if someone could tell me if  fitz has a happy ending?
I normally wouldn't bother people with a question like this however I can't google it without subjecting myself to spoilers.

I just finished Assasin's Quest and felt very depressed and maybe a little cheated.  I would definitely not call it a happy ending.  Sorry to break it to you, just keeping it real Down

RE: Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? - Mervi - Mar-09-2018

Hi matt_o and welcome to the forums! 

I think it depends on how you define "happy". It's not the usual fairy tale ending - the protagonist doesn't get the princess and half the kingdom. But what he gets for many many years is true freedom: no obligations towards his royal family, no secretive and dangerous business in the service of the crown. No skill-command forcing him to keep going. He's freed from many (but not all) things he struggled with during his adolescence. He also knows his loved ones are safe and the war will be over.

I won't spoil the next books for you, but if you read the last few pages carefully you also notice that he won't be entirely on his own and alone either. But for a time, it's just Fitz and Nighteyes and they can go whenever they want and do whatever they please. I would be happy to have such a life.  Cool

RE: Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? - Lady Persephone - Nov-26-2018

(Mar-09-2018, 01:44 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote:
Quote:"I won't spoil the next books for you, but if you read the last few pages carefully you also notice that he won't be entirely on his own and alone either. But for a time, it's just Fitz and Nighteyes and they can go whenever they want and do whatever they please. I would be happy to have such a life.  Cool"

Yes!  I know the ending was probably bittersweet for a lot of folks, but I truly enjoyed it and I feel that Fitz finally had a chance to be himself and see more of the world with Nighteyes.  I don't really care for Starling . . don't want to add any spoilers here, but I just don't feel that she was ever Fitz's type.  She kept throwing herself at him for one thing.  Dodgy  I told myself in the beginning, so long as Regal get's what he deserves, I'll be happy--and he certainly did!  Clapping

RE: Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? - Lady Persephone - Nov-26-2018

Sorries, I think I messed up on the quote . . I'm not really familiar with this board's functionality. *blushing*

RE: Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? - Mervi - Dec-08-2018

No worries! It's still clear that it's your reply.  Smiling

RE: Does the farseer trilogy have a happy ending? - Lady Persephone - Jan-10-2019

(Dec-08-2018, 12:45 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: No worries! It's still clear that it's your reply.  Smiling

Thanks!  Smiling