thePlenty.net Forums
RotE Audio Books - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: RotE Audio Books (/thread-144.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: RotE Audio Books - Valarya - Jan-06-2013

(May-13-2010, 09:41 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: It also took me a while to get my head around her English accent, as well as some of the overall pronunciations from both ladies eg Trehaugh pronounced 'Tre-horg' whereas I think of it as 'Tree-harg' Smiling,

Interesting.. I have always said it 'treh-HOG' which is just the americanized version of 'tre-HORG' as the DH audio-reader pronounces it. I rather liked her.

(Sep-08-2012, 01:04 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: these beings lack the patience to go through audio books. they take far more time than reading them does.

I completely agree with you there 'thul beings, however I find that sometimes I can get two books down at once with audio. I can plug one up in my car and listen to it whilst driving, and then of course the 'main' book I inhale tends to be print (ebook, pdf, paperback, etc). Also, I always READ a book first before listening - so the audiobooks become a sort of entertainment for me during my drive to and from work rather than an unfolding of a story (as I've already read it).

Sometimes, however, I'll get irritated at the pacing.. but most often it's just a pleasant thing that makes me forget traffic. If I ever find my mind drifting, I'll pause the audiobook so I don't miss any.

(Sep-28-2012, 02:35 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: ...the huge problem for me with an audio book is that there's no time to sit and think, and ponder, and turn back, or scribble a little note in the margin or on the inside back cover (should you have any room left there, of course...which I don't).

Oh my god you write in your books!? I could never......... this actually was just so shocking to me I choked as if you'd burned one. Blink

(Sep-28-2012, 10:47 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Really, the only audio books I'd like to listen to would be the Harry Potter series. As I understand it, Stephen Fry does an excellent job and turns his voice rather wonderfully to the various characters. That's my main worry, I think, the voices.

Stephen Fry reads the British release of the Harry Potter audiobooks... but I can tell you, the guy who does the American audiobooks, Jim Dale, is equally as British and one of the most brilliant voice-doers you will ever hear. He has won awards and I tell you, when he makes Hermione (or anyone) speak, you know who it is. He's just brilliant. The most wonderful audiobooks I've ever had the pleasure of listening to, though I haven't done many.

(Sep-29-2012, 01:04 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Actually I found it quite difficult even listening to Robin do readings, as she reads with her American accent. P

I've found that Authors tend to be horrible at reading, which is hilariously ironic, hahah. Some authors like to do their own audiobooks and it's just terrible. Just terrible. Only author I think is good at reading would be Neil Gaiman. Big Grin

(Sep-29-2012, 01:04 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: and the pronunciation of some of the names eg Chalced and Chalcedians grates like serrated knives against my knuckles.

Do we have a pronunciation thread around here anywhere? I'd be interested to see how other people pronounce some of my favorite names in literature!!

Myself being American, as Robin herself is, I probably pronounce them close to how she would. As to the comment about reading certain characters in different voices in your head... that's impossible to me. Everyone in my head has an attitude, and a personality.. but all very American. Maybe some will sneer or drawl more, but typically I'm just reading fast and taking in the actual CHARACTER and not worrying about a voice. For some reason ( P ) Fitz with an American accent fits perfectly for me. Haha Innocent

(Jan-05-2013, 04:04 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: there are still no audio versions of the Tawny Man series as yet

I have a friend who has done the entire series out so far (all 12 books) via Audio because he never reads. So there most definitely are Tawny Audiobooks available. If they aren't on audible.com or any other audio book online store, there's probably a Library of Congress version (for the blind). I'll ask him. Smiling

RE: RotE Audio Books - Farseer - Jan-06-2013

(Jan-06-2013, 02:45 AM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: I find that sometimes I can get two books down at once with audio. I can plug one up in my car and listen to it whilst driving, and then of course the 'main' book I inhale tends to be print (ebook, pdf, paperback, etc). Also, I always READ a book first before listening - so the audiobooks become a sort of entertainment for me during my drive to and from work rather than an unfolding of a story (as I've already read it).

Same goes for me. I don't own or listen to any audio books that I haven't already read in printed form.

(Jan-06-2013, 02:45 AM (UTC))Valarya Wrote:
(Sep-28-2012, 02:35 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: ...the huge problem for me with an audio book is that there's no time to sit and think, and ponder, and turn back, or scribble a little note in the margin or on the inside back cover (should you have any room left there, of course...which I don't).

Oh my god you write in your books!? I could never......... this actually was just so shocking to me I choked as if you'd burned one. Blink

I've only ever done it with my RotE books. I have a couple of posts about this state of affairs somewhere around here... Detective I felt the same as you when I came here to thePlenty and discovered people who dog-earred books! Blink

(Jan-06-2013, 02:45 AM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: Do we have a pronunciation thread around here anywhere? I'd be interested to see how other people pronounce some of my favorite names in literature!!

Will have a look but I know we discussed it quite a bit in the 'Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you' thread.

(Jan-06-2013, 02:45 AM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: I have a friend who has done the entire series out so far (all 12 books) via Audio because he never reads. So there most definitely are Tawny Audiobooks available. If they aren't on audible.com or any other audio book online store, there's probably a Library of Congress version (for the blind). I'll ask him. Smiling

That would be terrific, thanks. Slurp

RE: RotE Audio Books - Farseer - Jan-06-2013

Robin seems to recall that, other than English, the audio books are only available in Russian. Go figure! Blink Big Grin

Will try and confirm that though...

RE: RotE Audio Books - Farseer - Mar-07-2013

(Jan-06-2013, 02:45 AM (UTC))Valarya Wrote:
(Jan-05-2013, 04:04 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: there are still no audio versions of the Tawny Man series as yet

I have a friend who has done the entire series out so far (all 12 books) via Audio because he never reads. So there most definitely are Tawny Audiobooks available. If they aren't on audible.com or any other audio book online store, there's probably a Library of Congress version (for the blind). I'll ask him. Smiling

Just found Fool's Errand and The Golden Fool on Audible (released Jan and Feb this year) but Fool's Fate is still to appear. Only a wild guess but it's possible that it may show up this month...

EDIT: Just checked iTunes and same goes for there... Smiling

RE: RotE Audio Books - Valarya - Mar-07-2013

I'm tellin ya... my buddy has listened to all of the audio books. Library of Congress audio books for the blind. They do a lot of their own versions that the companies typically don't know about.

Here's their website. You can search by Hobb, Robin and you'll find them all. Smiling

They are there but you need a password etc to log in, and wouldn't you also have to have some kind of proof to show eligibility to use the service? Otherwise everyone would fake being blind just to be able to access the books outside of general public access and publishing contracts/rights etc?

RE: RotE Audio Books - Valarya - Mar-07-2013

Hrm, I'm not at all sure how it works. I just know they're available out there, haha. P

Big Grin

RE: RotE Audio Books - Valarya - Mar-27-2013

Someone on the newsgroup just pointed out that Books 1 & 2 of the Tawny Man trilogy are available on Audible. Just thought I'd let you know, Farseer. Smiling

I can't recall seeing them there in the past, and I know you've searched too.. so maybe they're new!

RE: RotE Audio Books - Farseer - Mar-27-2013

(Mar-07-2013, 03:28 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Just found Fool's Errand and The Golden Fool on Audible (released Jan and Feb this year) but Fool's Fate is still to appear. Only a wild guess but it's possible that it may show up this month...

EDIT: Just checked iTunes and same goes for there...

Thanks Valarya. Thankful I had already found them and posted my find here in this thread earlier in the month Big Grin (as per my post, FE and TGF were released in Jan and Feb) ^ but better that we have all the bases very well covered than not at all! Slurp

Thanks for thinking of me. I think I downloaded them both the day I posted here, haha! Happyballoon Still gettting through my Ship of Magic audio book though (the only thing that kept me from falling asleep during my long drive yesterday) because I lose my place every time I finish a drive! Ouch Pity there's no bookmarking mechansim...and I forget to write down the timing each time I get out of the car! Rant Smiling

Of course, I heard something that made me go Blink and, declaring I would remember it so didn't need to bother to note anything down, I then proceeded to forget about half a chapter later and so will have to go back and relisten to a couple of hours' worth of audio! I can't even remember who or what the 'wow' moment related to. Surrender Funny how hearing a thing can make you think of something that reading a thing a million times has not allowed you to do. Joker