thePlenty.net Forums
Others' Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Others' Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) (/thread-145.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Others Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Farseer - Sep-21-2012

(Sep-16-2012, 04:16 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: (the cursed shore)

Seeing as it's my way of doing things here P , off I go on a tangent that I don't really have time to point out let alone travel down...

The Cursed Shore. An interesting name. One I have long wondered about but haven't really given much time to think on. The Rain Wilds are 'more cursed' than The Cursed Shore so why is not The Rain River known as The Cursed River or somesuch? That this is not the case makes me believe that maybe The Cursed Shore is not so named due to how it came to be following the Cataclysm but maybe its naming *precedes* the Cataclysm, in that it was cursed and then came the Cataclysm. Or maybe not.

I love these tales. Nothing is ever as it seems Radar ...and this makes it fantastic for making up theories (er, guessing Big Grin )

RE: Others' Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - 'thul - Sep-21-2012

'this the quakes, farseer... if you recall from a certain short story, they did not yet know of the corrosive nature of the RW river...

RE: Others' Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Farseer - Sep-21-2012

I am ignoring you beings as your factual-ness does not, at all, fit well with my imaginative-ness! Big Grin

I am going on a 'curse' search... Detective ...one of these days, at least! Wink

RE: Others' Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - 'thul - Sep-21-2012

That is just the sort of thing 'thul would expect from you. Nobody likes facts when they do not fit the theory...

RE: Others' Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Farseer - Sep-28-2012

I am repeating myself. I do it regularly, I know, but do it I must. Blushing Having heard the audio version of the first few chapters of Ship of Magic last night, I am *convinced* that Wintrow, Fitz, Etta and Dutiful were able to take their items from the beach because they were not human. No man may ever take an item from the Treasure Beach but these ones were able to do so because they were not wholy 'human'...

As for the items, El was the first Elder and the god of the sea and thus it is possible that it is to he that all such items 'belong', according to the Others, and it is to Wintrow, Fitz, Dutiful and Etta that he gifts the items.

I can hardly contain my excitement when I wonder if we'll ever get to see one of these flaming swords or invisibility cloaks that humans would go to Others' Island to obtain while 'bearding the Others in their dens'. Maybe such itmes will be required to win a war against Chalced.

On a tangent, I can't help but note that wolf cubs are raised in dens... P

RE: Others' Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - 'thul - Sep-28-2012

interesting theory, farseer... it might be more that humans are too afraid of the Others to disobey.

divine gifts would explain away the source for such objects, but it might just be chance too... The gods, in most worlds, get blamed for all sorts of things, but usually only the convenient ones... Have you noticed how gods never seem to give pointless gifts?

RE: Others' Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - BeachRose - Mar-21-2019

Am I late to the party! But I really, really needed to share a theory I just came up with while listening to the first chapter of Ship of Magic and especially the part about Kennit's findings on Treasure Beach. (Also, I am sorry if this isn't a new one, I have not read all the fourteen pages of this thread.)

A litter of kittens, one the runt of the litter, with a red ruby earpin which Kennit manages to bring with him.

Then: the scene shifts to Wintrow and his chat with Berandol at the monastery. In the conversation, Berandol talks about having a shrunken arm and uses the *actual* words "litter of the runt" about himself!

So: the small, dead kitten might be symbolizing Berandol and the earpin of course Wintrow himself. He is removed from Berandol and the monastery and found by Kennit, who later passes him on in a haphazard way to Etta, just as he does with the ruby earpin.

RE: Others' Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Lady Persephone - Mar-22-2019

(Mar-21-2019, 12:13 PM (UTC))BeachRose Wrote: Am I late to the party! But I really, really needed to share a theory I just came up with while listening to the first chapter of Ship of Magic and especially the part about Kennit's findings on Treasure Beach. (Also, I am sorry if this isn't a new one, I have not read all the fourteen pages of this thread.)

A litter of kittens, one the runt of the litter, with a red ruby earpin which Kennit manages to bring with him.

Then: the scene shifts to Wintrow and his chat with Berandol at the monastery. In the conversation, Berandol talks about having a shrunken arm and uses the *actual* words "litter of the runt" about himself!

So: the small, dead kitten might be symbolizing Berandol and the earpin of course Wintrow himself. He is removed from Berandol and the monastery and found by Kennit, who later passes him on in a haphazard way to Etta, just as he does with the ruby earpin.

Very interesting theory BeachRose!  And I, too, it seems am very late to the party here . . I swear this place is so like a deserted ancient Elderling city, like Kelsingra and all the posts from Farseer, Thul, Nutsya, Lord Punctual, etc are like ancient memories trapped in the memory stone of this forum!  But anyway, I think you're onto something there . . the drowned kittens could signify Berandol and the ruby earring, Wintrow.  What about the nails and the teacups?  There's so much scope for wonder and interpretation here . . that set of teacups . . I wonder if it has anything to do with the teacups Kennit promises to bring for his mother, like a symbol of completeness, wholesomeness, elegance . . something lost forever to Kennit because of his life choices.  Drinking tea together is a common theme throughout RotE and I have to wonder if it stands for companionship and social grace, humanity.  I might be way off there.  I'm just musing.