thePlenty.net Forums
Others' Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Others' Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) (/thread-145.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Others Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Nuytsia - Jul-13-2010

Ah hehehe yes that could have saved Nevarre some trouble!!!!
Yep I found that I normally post here when I'm watching TV but when all my TV time was watching soccer I couldn't do this at the same time! Now that World Cup nonsense is over here I am!!

RE: Others Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Witted Bastard - Jul-14-2010

The statuette of a future version of Elliania that Dutiful found at the treasure beach is the one loose end that really sticks in my craw from the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies. Even Fitz's acquisition of the Rooster Crown feathers I'm willing to accept as so deeply intertwined with the Fool's fate as to be inevitable, if that makes sense. But how and why the Elliania figurine was created, and how it came to be on that beach for Dutiful and Fitz to find and bring back seems unexplainable.

RE: Others Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - 'thul - Jul-14-2010

Perhaps Robin Hobb intended it to (for now) be inexplicable?

RE: Others Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Farseer - Jul-19-2010

(Jul-14-2010, 06:51 AM (UTC))Witted Bastard Wrote: The statuette of a future version of Elliania that Dutiful found at the treasure beach is the one loose end that really sticks in my craw from the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies....But how and why the Elliania figurine was created, and how it came to be on that beach for Dutiful and Fitz to find and bring back seems unexplainable.

Though I do wonder if there's not more to it (something to be revealed later maybe, or never!), as much of Fool's prophecies hinged on the birth and survival of a throned Farseer heir, I just tried to take the figurine of Elliana on face value...that she is the mother of the future Farseer heir, the one who helps ensure the continuance of the Farseer line?

Kennit also found a female figurine and, in the same vein, I just assumed this to be Etta, the mother of the future 'King of the Pirate Isles'. Etta's bounty was the baby figurine, also pointing to this same child.

Possibly Prince Prosper Farseer and Prince Paragon Ludluck will have important roles to play in future instalments, or it's simply that they symbolise the 'new course'?
(Jul-09-2010, 11:07 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Thanks re your comments on iron. I wondered if this was the case (that it is used elsewhere through the fantasy genre at times, to ward off magic). I can't recall reading anything like that before but then I have not read as much fantasy as most other Hobb fans seem to have Smiling .

It had been niggling at me that I HAD read something of iron warding off magic before...and then I went and re-read our 3 word story...ah, only NOW is the 'iron' reference in that finally made clear to me :rolleyes: !!!

RE: Others Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - 'thul - Jul-19-2010

(Jul-19-2010, 03:14 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Jul-14-2010, 06:51 AM (UTC))Witted Bastard Wrote: The statuette of a future version of Elliania that Dutiful found at the treasure beach is the one loose end that really sticks in my craw from the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies....But how and why the Elliania figurine was created, and how it came to be on that beach for Dutiful and Fitz to find and bring back seems unexplainable.

Though I do wonder if there's not more to it (something to be revealed later maybe, or never!), as much of Fool's prophecies hinged on the birth and survival of a throned Farseer heir, I just tried to take the figurine of Elliana on face value...that she is the mother of the future Farseer heir, the one who helps ensure the continuance of the Farseer line?

Kennit also found a female figurine and, in the same vein, I just assumed this to be Etta, the mother of the future 'King of the Pirate Isles'. Etta's bounty was the baby figurine, also pointing to this same child.

Possibly Prince Prosper Farseer and Prince Paragon Ludluck will have important roles to play in future instalments, or it's simply that they symbolise the 'new course'?

Are you sure they'll both be princes?
Would it not be quite possible that one of them is a princess?
Mind you, it is a while since these beings read the farseer books, so they do not recall exactly. They cannot recall anything on whether Etta's child is female or male. If that last was unspecified, then it would be most natural for that one to be female. All the previous farseer heirs have gone abroad to find their wives/queens, so why should not the next one do that too?

RE: Others Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Farseer - Jul-19-2010

(Jul-19-2010, 05:34 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Are you sure they'll both be princes?
Would it not be quite possible that one of them is a princess?
Mind you, it is a while since these beings read the farseer books, so they do not recall exactly. They cannot recall anything on whether Etta's child is female or male. If that last was unspecified, then it would be most natural for that one to be female. All the previous farseer heirs have gone abroad to find their wives/queens, so why should not the next one do that too?

'thul, these names Prince Prosper Farseer and Prince Paragon Ludluck are the actual names for Dutiful/Elliana and Kennit/Etta's children and, yes, they are both strongly referenced as being male (that is not to say that one may not choose to dress or act as a female later Smiling !).

I agree that one, if not both, will look further afield to find a future bride. Thymara would be an interesting choice (love it Big Grin!) and this would tighten relations between the Rain Wilds and Pirate Isles or Six Duchies/Mountain Kingdom...though, as you say, age would be a factor and she sounds like she may have some ideas of her own in that regard anyway! As we are yet to get a story based in Chalced, maybe a bride may come from there?

No need to include spoiler tags in here as 'RWC' is included in the thread title...or should I amend that to 'Rain Wild Chronicles', to make it clearer?

RE: Others Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - 'thul - Jul-20-2010

hmm... right... 'thul forgot that about spoilers yesterday...

they'll take thy word for the "prince proper farseer" and they do recall the "Paragon Ludluck", but they do not recall any gender on the latter... Paragon isnt much of a gender-specific name, as it is rarely used on any human being... but only time will show the gender of Etta's child...

RE: Others Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Bink - Jul-20-2010

(Jul-20-2010, 07:18 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: hmm... right... 'thul forgot that about spoilers yesterday...

they'll take thy word for the "prince proper farseer" and they do recall the "Paragon Ludluck", but they do not recall any gender on the latter... Paragon isnt much of a gender-specific name, as it is rarely used on any human being... but only time will show the gender of Etta's child...

I guess i better re-check Golden Fool for I recall the visit from Jek to Buck and her conversation with Amber/Fool to indicate that Paragon Raven Ludluck to be a boy.

EDIT: It sure is nice to have ebooks - a lot faster to reference Smiling

"He’s a live­ly, lusty boy, the im­age of King Ken­nit, and his moth­er’s de­light. The whole Raven fleet’s de­light and dar­ling, ac­tu­al­ly. That’s his mid­dle name, you know Prince Paragon Raven Lud­luck."

I hope that clears up the gender issues.

RE: Others Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - 'thul - Jul-20-2010

That it does... That it does...

This proves wishful thinking...

But there's still the wild option of Thamyra for one of them... But that too is quite possibly wishful thinking...

RE: Others Island (spoilers all books incl RWC) - Farseer - Jul-20-2010

Thanks heaps for adding that reference and well met, Bink - great to have you here with us Thankful !

I agree, ebooks are WONDERFUL if you have a search function available! I only have Kindle on PC and so can't do a word search *sigh*. It sure would have helped when we were looking for text confirmation for the keepers and their dragons.

If you would like to add your ebook assistance there (we really need someone to confirm that the dragon 'Skrim' is actually written within the text, and not just the listing in the front as per the posts in the thread...I'm honestly tired of looking!), you can go to the *spoilers* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? site. Thanks!!