thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jul-03-2010

Woops I haven't been on so long I didn't even see Farseer's reply about Ireland!
That sounds really interesting about your ancestor Farseer! I have done a little bit of work tracing my family tree a few years back, but I shudder to think how to trace back to 1665 let alone 1229!! Although it sounds like Ireland might be the right place to do it, from what Maulkin mentioned.
Your trip sounds like it will be great!
I'd love to see some of the places my family is from around England and Scotland. I have been to England (or London at least) ages ago, but I didn't know anything much about family history then.
I don't have any recent info on London things to do for you FoolMoon, but I second Maulkin's suggestion about the Natural History Museum (if you like that sort of thing). I remember I loved that!!
Maulkin that seagull sounds hilarious - wonder if it IS the same one. A raven once stole a sandwich from my hands when we were sitting at a picnic table. We were out in the bush so didn't expect it to be so tame!!

RE: What's happening in your world? - NeverBeenWise - Jul-05-2010

Maulkin, did you check to see if Web was nearby? Wink Seagulls are extremely bold. I've been lucky enough never to have had that close an encounter with one.

Sadly, I've never been anywhere except the US (my home country), Ecuador, a Costa Rican airport, and Greece. I'd love to go to England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and pretty much everywhere else in Europe. Big Grin Sounds fun!

In my world, the crazy US of A, school's out for the summer, I graduated high school, am preparing for college, and it's REALLY hot and humid. I'm guessing it's about 93 F, which would be... let's see if I can do my math right... 34 C? I think that's about right.

RE: What's happening in your world? - maulkin - Jul-06-2010

NeverBeenWise: don't forget that the US is about as big as Europe! At your age, I had only left the UK twice, to visit France and Ireland - both nearby in American terms! If you do visit Europe, I recommend that you buy an international rail pass and travel around by train. Traveling at ground level is the best way to get a feel for the place (but give yourself at least a month here).

RE: What's happening in your world? - NeverBeenWise - Jul-06-2010

But the US has also been quite homogenized. At least the places I've been to, which are from Maine to Florida and out to Indiana. I don't care so much about distance as culture. It seems like in Europe, particularly in the UK, you can drive fifteen minutes and suddenly you hear a completely different accent. Take a short boat ride and you're in a different country where they speak a different language. I think that's what fascinates me.

I'll keep that in mind! I hope to live in England someday... not sure where. So maybe I'll get the opportunity! Big Grin

RE: What's happening in your world? - maulkin - Jul-06-2010

(Jul-06-2010, 02:00 PM (UTC))NeverBeenWise Wrote: Take a short boat ride and you're in a different country where they speak a different language.
You don't even have to take a short boat ride! Mainland Great Britain has four native languages (English, Welsh, Gaelic and Cornish), although only English and Welsh are still widely spoken.

I see your point regarding Europe's cultural and linguistic diversity. On the other hand, I envy America's natural diversity. Europe has held too many people for far too long.

RE: What's happening in your world? - FoolMoon - Jul-08-2010

(Jul-05-2010, 05:48 PM (UTC))NeverBeenWise Wrote: In my world, the crazy US of A, school's out for the summer, I graduated high school, am preparing for college, and it's REALLY hot and humid. I'm guessing it's about 93 F, which would be... let's see if I can do my math right... 34 C? I think that's about right.

34 c? count yourself lucky XD here in Israel it could get to 40 or more c in the hot days. 34 c is what we call "cold for the season".
I'm not much of an outdoor person though, mostly because i have an annoying tendency to get skin-burns whenever i spend an hour in the sun. plus, just got a tattoo and got really protective to my skin.

RE: What's happening in your world? - NeverBeenWise - Jul-08-2010

Two days ago it was about 39 C, 102 F. And I had to walk to a chiropractor's appointment. And then I had to walk back... not fun. And yesterday it was almost as hot, maybe 38 C. And my brother had taken the car for three hours, so I was stuck riding my bike there. Fun times in the USA... >.<

40 C? Wow. That's hot. But it doesn't get very humid, does it? I hope not, for your sake... that would just be unbearable....

RE: What's happening in your world? - FoolMoon - Jul-08-2010

(Jul-08-2010, 06:38 PM (UTC))NeverBeenWise Wrote: Two days ago it was about 39 C, 102 F. And I had to walk to a chiropractor's appointment. And then I had to walk back... not fun. And yesterday it was almost as hot, maybe 38 C. And my brother had taken the car for three hours, so I was stuck riding my bike there. Fun times in the USA... >.<

40 C? Wow. That's hot. But it doesn't get very humid, does it? I hope not, for your sake... that would just be unbearable....

actually... it is humid. very. i hate Israel.

RE: What's happening in your world? - joost - Jul-09-2010

Mostly work and working on my HBO-thesis (nothing very interesting, it's about implementing a monitoring solution for the IT infrastructure at work), so I have very little spare time at the moment. And it's hot here too (at the moment 34C with high humidity).

RE: What's happening in your world? - NeverBeenWise - Jul-09-2010

(Jul-08-2010, 09:37 PM (UTC))FoolMoon Wrote: actually... it is humid. very. i hate Israel.

I am truly, truly sorry, FoolMoon. Toohot