thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Dec-07-2012

Snow is a good thing.
But with temperatures sticking at -11 ± 3-4 degrees, there is not much snowfall around them. But at least the ground is starting to freeze around thul. its for certain frozen down to 10cm, but guesstimates indicate it is as far down as 15-18, considering that its at only 0.1 C at 20cm below the surface...

Good times, in other words...

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Dec-07-2012

(Dec-06-2012, 08:17 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote:
(Dec-03-2012, 09:58 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Blink WOW, londonlassie, that's....FANTASTIC! Clapping Yay

So, when do we get to read it? Wink

I want to start sending it to agents quite soon to get it properly published, but if you fancy taking a look, it's here: http://www.wattpad.com/story/1509679-the-other-side

Nowhere near the standard of Her Hobbness, though! P

Chapter One, done! And I am looking forward to the rest when time allows. Clapping Thanks heaps for the link! Slurp

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Dec-07-2012

(Dec-07-2012, 09:18 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: Tonight a concert of one of my favourite bands (IQ), but apparently there's gonna be a lot of snow today. I know 'Thul are probably thinking 'pah! snow!' but for The Netherlands snow is an exception rather than the rule. So I'm not really looking forward to driving about 3 hours through a snow storm....
Good luck joost and enjoy the gig! Smiling

It's very cold here. The forecast is for a dry, but freezing cold week...then snow sometime over the next weekend! I don't mind snow if all I have to do is look at it, trudging to work for a good hour and half in it is a different matter entirely! On with my trusty Dr Marten boots to keep my trotters cosy warm P

(Dec-07-2012, 09:18 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: Tonight a concert of one of my favourite bands (IQ),

I'm not a concert-goer but I hope you had a terrific night - being one of your favourite bands will guarantee it, I'm sure. Slurp

(Dec-07-2012, 09:18 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: So I'm not really looking forward to driving about 3 hours through a snow storm....

I'd actually like to give driving through snow a go, just so that I can say that I've done it. Seeing as I'm yet to even see *snow*, it may be a long time before I ever get the experience! P

It would be similar to my mud driving experiences I suppose. I do it so often that it's no different for me now than driving on bitumen, but I'm sure it would be terrifying (and frustratingly difficult!) for those unused to it. Hope you get there and back safely, joost! Grouphug

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Dec-07-2012

Driving in snow is fine if you have the right sort of vehicle or those chain thingies for your tyres. I must say, my experiences of driving in snow have been pretty horrendous..turning the steering wheel one way and going another, sliding towards oncoming traffic and there's nothing you can do about it (brakes being utterly useless) and wheels spinning, but getting absolutely nowhere! Though I miss my car terribly, I won't miss all that winter trauma. The trudge will be infinitely better! Undecided

How's your son doing, post-op, Farseer?

Ah, yes, the inclusion of "oncoming traffic" would make all the difference...and is not something I have to take into consideration during my mud-running adventures! Even the cattle stay away!! P

All seems to be going well so far, thanks fool-ish. Smiling He had bilateral, two compartment fasciotomies and is doing fairly nicely hobbling around on crutches when he needs to get about. Taking Meloxicam and Panadeine Forte for any pain (which is nowhere near as bad as he was expecting) and is pretty much enjoying having the opporunity to lay down, eat, read, eat, watch telly, eat, Skype his girlfriend, eat...pretty much an eighteen-year-old's dream life really! Big Grin

Here for another week, and then a post-op check-up with his surgeon, before he's hopefully right to fly five hours and then drive six hours home.

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Dec-08-2012

(Dec-07-2012, 11:47 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Ah, yes, the inclusion of "oncoming traffic" would make all the difference...and is not something I have to take into consideration during my mud-running adventures! Even the cattle stay away!! P

All seems to be going well so far, thanks fool-ish. Smiling He had bilateral, two compartment fasciotomies and is doing fairly nicely hobbling around on crutches when he needs to get about. Taking Meloxicam and Panadeine Forte for any pain (which is nowhere near as bad as he was expecting) and is pretty much enjoying having the opporunity to lay down, eat, read, eat, watch telly, eat, Skype his girlfriend, eat...pretty much an eighteen-year-old's dream life really! Big Grin

Here for another week, and then a post-op check-up with his surgeon, before he's hopefully right to fly five hours and then drive six hours home.
Ah, glad to hear he's doing well, and yes, I'm sure as an eighteen year-old he'll be enjoying all the R & R, not to mention the attention! Wink Good luck for the journey home. Smiling

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Dec-08-2012

On a good, properly snow-covered road, you only need tires designed for winter usage, you don't need chains. Most only use those if they get stuck somewhere (typically when driving outside paved roads)

Mud behaves somewhat differently from snow, but it might do for a comparison if nothing else is available.

'thul use spike tires on their bike, though a lot of those tires have been of poor quality. Since last year (before the winter) these beings have gotten to the 5th spike tire on a 2-wheeled bike.

RE: What's happening in your world? - joost - Dec-08-2012

The snow alarm was totally bogus, it stopped snowing after about 2PM, and all the roads were snow (and ice) free when I drove. So instead of 3+ hours in a snow storm I drove 2.5 hours in nice weather. Most dangerous moment was when my eyelids started going southwards at the end of the return drive, but that was fixed by stopping at a gas station and walking around in the fresh (around freezing point) air for a few minutes.

RE: What's happening in your world? - londonlassie - Dec-08-2012

(Dec-07-2012, 10:49 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Dec-06-2012, 08:17 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote:
(Dec-03-2012, 09:58 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Blink WOW, londonlassie, that's....FANTASTIC! Clapping Yay

So, when do we get to read it? Wink

I want to start sending it to agents quite soon to get it properly published, but if you fancy taking a look, it's here: http://www.wattpad.com/story/1509679-the-other-side

Nowhere near the standard of Her Hobbness, though! P

Chapter One, done! And I am looking forward to the rest when time allows. Clapping Thanks heaps for the link! Slurp

Nooo, thank you for reading! Slurp