thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Chrischa - Aug-08-2010

Oh boy! You're talking about comic books and Brussels, and I nearly missed it. Smiling I grew up with all these books, plus a lot of Jommeke, the Smurfs, Lucky Luke, ... you name it. Nowadays I've moved on to more adult comic books, which can have some amazing art in them. My favourites are Luuna, Blacksad, Alim The Tanner, and of course anything by Franquin.

Joost, you probably went to the comic book museum in Brussels, right? It's been ages since I've been there, I'd love to go again.

Not much else to say about our capital though... it's got some nice spots, but overall it's an old and dirty city. I think London, for example, is a much nicer city. And the one I live right next to, Gent, is lovely too.

RE: What's happening in your world? - joost - Aug-08-2010

Yes, it was the comic book museum in Brussels.

Do you know De schorpioen? I really like that series. XIII was good too, but became less interesting in the later volumes (although I'm still buying the new ones). Same with Largo Winch. And recently, a graphic novel version of De tempeliers (the last templar) by Raymond Khoury, started. The first two volumes look pretty good.

Dutch comics I occasionally read are Franka and Gilles de Geus.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Aug-10-2010

Happening in my world:

SPRING ???

Evidence:
Wattles have started blooming
Spotted Pardalotes have started calling
First Superb Wren in blue plumage (ie breeding season coming)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Liquid Ice - Aug-11-2010

So... I supposedly been chosen to do Jury Duty...
I'm not actually "in" yet but I gotta go to the court house and all.
Anyone been the Jury Duty before? Spesh in Aus, QLD P

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Aug-11-2010

(Aug-11-2010, 02:23 AM (UTC))Liquid Ice Wrote: Anyone been the Jury Duty before? Spesh in Aus, QLD P

No, I never have, Liquid Ice. Outside of teacher friends at a school in Longreach, I have never known anyone called up to do it either. The funny thing about that particular school is that one or the other of the teachers there seem to be on jury duty every few weeks?!

Love your pics, Nuytsia! Yes, know what you mean about 'spring' Smiling though the weather here in North Queensland is a little crazy this week (as it is every week!). Absolutely boiling hot one day and freezing cold and raining the next. Is it any wonder that my daughter is having problems with her lungs again, after a week in Longreach with her school friends last week!!!
(Aug-08-2010, 06:52 PM (UTC))Chrischa Wrote: Oh boy! You're talking about comic books and Brussels, and I nearly missed it. Smiling

I'm with Nuytsia in this re "I am not a comic afficionado so it's no surprise that I am clueless!" BUT I did love reading Archie, Footrot Flats, Donald Duck, Commando, Phantom etc comics when I was growing up. My daughter is a Sonic the Hedgehog comic fan and has been since she was only about three or four, though I don't know why...it's not like she had ever seen any cartoons etc of him. In fact, for a long, long time, she even wanted to marry him but, well, I wanted to marry Luke Skywalker for years so I'm not one to judge Big Grin.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Aug-11-2010

Liquid Ice I've NEVER been called up for jury duty, and although everyone complains about what a pain it is, I secretly want to be called on!!!!!
I can specifically recall someone from my work having to do it, and I think my mum did once .......

Farseer your climate would confuse me I think !!! Hehehe.
Your poor daughter! I have minor respiratory problems now and then and it's awful - I really feel for people with more major troubles. Not being able to breathe freely is the most horrible feeling.
Thanks re the pics - geees it's so hard to get a good photo of those little birds they are SO FAST!

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Aug-11-2010

'thul wonder if any of you read web-based cartoons.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Aug-11-2010

'thul not on a regular basis ..... I have in the past but I can't even remember what they were now!!

Happening in my world:

Ok I hate to keep banging on about this water situation but ..... It has literally been raining ALL DAY here! Yay
So maybe the drought's broken and I will stop mentioning it!!!
Heheh YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cannot wait to check the tank level later ....... wheeeeee!

Also, interestingly re the Spring indicators, I just found some old pics of last year and the wattles bloomed a whole month earlier. So despite this year being much milder in temperature (so you'd think they'd flower EARLIER), it seems maybe the dry conditions actually delayed flowering?

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Aug-12-2010

'thul would like to recommend this one:
Looking for Group
It is almost guaranteed that you will end up laughing at many parts in it...

Anyways, as for current events here...
These beings just got back from a long day at the student community, having stood watch on a concert (with some 600 attendees). They are now officially tired.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Aug-12-2010

Looks like 2011 may be my year to travel! Not only have I been planning my little trip to Ireland (previous posts), but one of my sons is now heading to France etc for a school trip in April and I have been invited to attend as a supervisor! Of course, I will have to pay my own way, and my son's ($$!!), but part of the trip will include a visit to Gallipoli. I am getting choked up already just thinking about being there in person for the ANZAC Day Dawn Service Crying ...a more patriotic, emotional event I just cannot imagine!!