thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Oct-27-2010

Hmmm redchild to me (in Australia) 'all you can eat' means there is a set price and you can eat all you want.....
It doesn't matter if you leave food on your plate here.
I mean yay for discouraging wastage ..........
Just another cultural difference I guess. What country are you in?

Happening in my world: MORE fruit tree attacks .... when will I learn. ..... Down

RE: What's happening in your world? - redchild - Oct-28-2010

I don't think it's a cultural difference. I think what you're thinking of is a buffet but at this restaurant you write down the quantities of the food on an order sheet and give it to a waiter, then they'll prepare it. At buffets nobody really cares since all the food's already been prepared and out for anyone who wants to try it.

I live in the USA, btw.

Recently money's been on my mind more than ever. Especially as in how to get money to pay for tuition. School's been the runner up in my most frequented topics to worry over. Mainly with whether I should transfer or not. I'm leaning towards yes, but the money issue is looming all the more if I do.

I also watched a local news report on public television on how bad the job market is and how so many laid off accomplished professionals with years of experience and education are now fighting for jobs at Target chain stores. Really makes me want to not graduate until I'm thirty. Not that university's gonna let me stay that long-- they want to graduate everyone ASAP so they can get us out of their hair and squeeze in room for freshmen and veterans.

I walked by a piece of paper taped to a door today that said something like "It's such a shame to live life on a checkbook." Or what, go homeless? I know its supposed to mean not to let money be the main drive in life but if I got this sort of reaction to it, somebody else did too.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Oct-28-2010

(Oct-28-2010, 09:15 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: I don't think it's a cultural difference. I think what you're thinking of is a buffet but at this restaurant you write down the quantities of the food on an order sheet and give it to a waiter, then they'll prepare it. At buffets nobody really cares since all the food's already been prepared and out for anyone who wants to try it.

Hmmm ok then I actually don't know what things are called what in my own country? I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it read to me!

I guess what I meant to say by 'cultural difference' is that what YOU call 'all-you-can-eat' is not what we call it here, and we do not have (as far as i know) any restaurants that charge you for leaving food on your plate.

Happened in my world:

Found a hair in my lunch that I HOPE was from someone's beard........

RE: What's happening in your world? - redchild - Oct-29-2010

^....ewwww..

My tv's busted. Down

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Nov-02-2010

I never thought I'd ever say this about a website or a bunch of people I've never met BUT...I feel whole again...I can get on to thePlenty site and chat with you all for the first time in what's felt like forever Yay !!

RE: What's happening in your world? - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-02-2010

Ah, finally! I admit to being worried for a while - I didn't have Mervi's e-mail adress on hand, so I had no way of letting him know anything was up. (Or down, as the case may be.)

RE: What's happening in your world? - redchild - Nov-04-2010

Yes I was afraid I'd have to storm the castle gates. Knight

RE: What's happening in your world? - Mervi - Nov-04-2010

Oh, so it wasn't just Farseer that had problems? That's so weird, because the site's been okay for me except for a problems with accessing the forum one day last week. In the future, you can try emailing me memories {at} theplenty .dot. net or if you have a twitter account you can PM @theplentynet (it gets pushed to my phone with an alert so it's the quickest way to bring anything to my attention short of actually calling me).

Oh, and http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ is great for figuring out whether it's the actual site that's down or a glitch in your connection (although it doesn't help you fix it).

RE: What's happening in your world? - Rendezvous - Nov-05-2010

In my world Im going to a Midnight Screening of Rocky Horror Picture Show tomorrow dressed as Magenta. This doesn't happen often where I live so Im very excited.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Nov-07-2010

(Nov-04-2010, 02:30 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: Oh, so it wasn't just Farseer that had problems?

I think my problem was different to everyone else's, Mervi, as mine seems to have lasted a lot longer than that one little glitch.

As I let Mervi know via email (for the benefit of the rest of you), I was unable to connect again immediately after my last post....at least, until now. I LIVE (cried out in a Mushu-like manner!) Clapping !!!

I finally found that I simply had to reset my modem as well as the router...I'd have switched it all off at the power and turned it back on again DAYS ago but once this cantankerous modem loses power, it seems to take weeks, even months sometimes, to get back up again. This being the case, I wasn't prepared to lose everything by switching it off as my daughter needs internet connection for school lessons.

In the meantime, I explored every other possible option to get thePlenty working again (which was the only website I couldn't connect to on three different computers and using both Internet Explorer and Firefox) to no avail. I have just been able to reset the modem via Bigpond and, thankfully, it all came straight back up again AND I'm good to go on thePlenty once more Thankful !

Hope your RHPS night went well, Rendezvous Smiling .