thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - joost - Jan-05-2011

I read that too. But there's not gonna be a tour, at the moment there's just talk about a single reunion show, possibly at Prince William's and Kate Middleton's wedding. I doubt I get an invite for that P.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-09-2011

Big Grin Oh well, at least we'll get to see it on the telly!

I am back from my trip away but have been sick in bed with tonsillitis since my return Down . Still, my son and I managed to get through all of the areas that have recently experienced flooding here in Queensland. It was a long, long drive in the pouring rain with far too many trucks on the roads as they all bypassed the major towns that are still under water.

Apparently there is more flooding forecast, this time for down in the south-east corner (Sunshine Coast and Brisbane)...right where I've left my son! Hopefully he will be too busy with the Tawny Man series to worry too much. The next time I see him, he'll be able to fly rotary and fixed-wing aircraft (look out below! Ouch ).

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Jan-09-2011

These beings have a small pile of snow almost right outside their windows. It is only 2m tall at the highest point. If it keeps snowing, it should grow much larger, possibly enough to actually being useful...

RE: What's happening in your world? - redchild - Jan-10-2011

Got my copy of Feast for Crows signed today. I almost thought I wouldn't get to GRRM in time because of the long line since he needed to leave at a certain time. But he sped right through, no personalizations/photos/chit-chat, and I think he managed to sign everyone's books in time.

A couple in front of me brought their infant daughter with them. They named her Daenerys.

A fuzzy snapshot from my phone:
[Image: 010911.jpg]

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-10-2011

Thanks for sharing, redchild! At least you didn't have to think of anything to chat with him about P !!

I am umming and ahhing over my trip to Europe, and considering giving it a miss due to $$ (though my son will still go with his school group). The only thing that is making me seriously consider going is my recent discovery that I could possibly be in Belgium in time to meet her Hobbness when she's there around March 24th!!!

RE: What's happening in your world? - Liquid Ice - Jan-11-2011

So anyone here from Aus living in QLD like me?
We've got some pretty bad flooding going on at the moment. Thankfully our house is on a hill. But our next door neighbour is living with us because his house was flooded in.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-11-2011

I just came on to give you a cooee and see how things are going for you, Liquid Ice. SO glad to hear you are okay!! I have been thinking of you while watching the telly...

I drove from here down through Dalby, Kilcoy etc all day and night on Thursday. Got to the Sunshine Coast on Friday morning, slept, and then got the earliest flight I possibly could out of Brisbane on Saturday morning to Longreach, to try and avoid running into all of the rain that was forecast down in the south-east over the weekend. I figured if I didn't get out then, I wasn't going to!! I was very lucky to get down there in the first place, let alone back!

The Bureau of Meteorology warned at least six months ago that it would be Queensland's biggest wet season in over thirty years and they were right on the money (especially with waters going to peak in Brissie that will be higher than the '74 floods). I've been preparing ever since I first heard that forecast (my pantry and coldroom are chockers!) but the big rain has not fallen near us yet. While we have been stuck for short periods fairly recently, we had far more rain over the three previous Christmases than the one we've just had. Still, rain is forecast for here over the coming weekend so maybe it's the north's turn?!

Apparently Caboolture has been evacuated? My son couldn't start his pilot course yesterday as there was water flooding the flying school building but all was okay for him today. He says he's "pretty well up on a hill so should be right". I am so glad he is staying with a family and not just in an apartment all by himself or something!

My mother and father-in-law are bunking in with other people for the night (not long off the phone to them) and they don't expect their cars and things will be there in the morning. My sister lives not far from them but I'm not sure what she's dealing with at the moment. One of my brother-in-laws has had a torrent of water under his house but was able to get to a friend's house with his wife and young family. Lots of other friends and family around Toowoomba and Brisbane...

I couldn't believe the footage, especially of Toowoomba...scary stuff. Keep us up-to-date with how you're doing, won't you?

RE: What's happening in your world? - Liquid Ice - Jan-11-2011

Well its good to hear every things fine up where you are so far. Also good to hear everyone you know is safe so far.

But yes as you said, scary stuff. You don't half realise the horror of it all in till its up on your door step. Or coming close to it P. Place I'm at should be safe... unless the near by dam bursts or something. Our neighbour is still with us, his car was completely under last we checked. Alot of other people near by have had there homes flooded or damaged.
I'll leave you guys some pictures.

[Image: 164862_147243578664479_100001365129320_2...3521_n.jpg]
Thats our only way out. Neighbours house is to the right. It's a lot higher then it looks.

[Image: 168356_147288565326647_100001365129320_2...3845_n.jpg]
This is the dam I live near by. I've never actually seen the water come out of the top area before. Also never seen any flooding around the bottom.

All and all we've been hit pretty light compared to other victims.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jan-11-2011

Gees I'm hopeless, STILL haven't caught up on plentynet posts at all!
I just checked in to see you guys in Queensland were ok!!!!
I hardly ever watch the news but of course I'd have to be living under a rock not to have heard of the floods, and from what little I hear it just seems to get worse and worse.
Glad (and not that surprised) to hear you are well prepared Farseer!
So glad no-one here has been really badly affected....! Stay safe!!

RE: What's happening in your world? - Mervi - Jan-11-2011

I've been watching the news horrified, thinking about how I don't know where exactly you Aussies live (except that this shouldn't affect Nuytsia, right?) and whether you're in danger. Thanks for checking in & please stay safe! I can't even imagine what it's like... Grouphug