thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jan-11-2011

Bah who needs sleep, I really should read some posts! Wink

Mervi we're fine down here, no really significant rain and our house is halfway up a hill so I doubt we could get flooded in any case. Our main natural disaster worry is bushfire, but luckily our bushfire season is a lot shorter than a lot of other areas in Australia.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-11-2011

(Jan-09-2011, 10:29 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings have a small pile of snow almost right outside their windows. It is only 2m tall at the highest point.

Big Grin

I was thinking about this last night after also watching the problems with heavy snowfalls in the US. Is this a regular thing for you at this time of year, 'thul, like something you annually plan for? I can't imagine what it would be like when the snow melts! The cleaning up afterward would be just awful, I'd expect, but most likely not as bad as having river mud and sludge to get rid of like the current flood victims here?

Speaking of bushfires, it seems incredible that we have so much water here in Qld (and now also northern NSW) but there are bushfires raging in Western Australia. Why am I thinking of Dorothea MacKellar's My Country ..."For flood and fire and famine"...?!

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-12-2011

(Jan-11-2011, 02:57 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: no really significant rain and our house is halfway up a hill so I doubt we could get flooded in any case.

I hope you're right, Nuytsia! I've just been watching everything unfold on ABC News and they have forecast flash flooding in Tasmania today! Boat

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jan-12-2011

Oh don't worry the North of Tassie always gets flash flooding!
We do get flooding down here, don't get me wrong, but usually that just means roads are closed and at worst some buildings in the flood plain got wet...... not like Queensland!
Our house is not near the major river so even if our creek flooded BADLY we are so high we'd be fine.
The creek at the front certainly gets VERY high at times (it's hard to believe HOW quickly and HOW high) but the worst that could happen is our front paddock would be under water and our bridge would wash away, so we couldn't leave our house and our power would be cut off!!!!!!
Ok not great, but at least we'd be alive.....!

Hmmm it's been raining all day today ........

'My Country' always puts a tear in my eye for some reason.....

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Jan-13-2011

These beings moved last summer, so the pile outside the window is fairly new, but its still nice for them to get such a pile... (though they would have preferred a pile 5+ times bigger)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-13-2011

(Jan-13-2011, 08:05 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: (though they would have preferred a pile 5+ times bigger)

So you could all have somewhere to store your whales? Big Grin

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jan-13-2011

Heh heh
OMG the library has Songs of Love and Death on order and I put a hold and I am second in the queue! Wheeeee!

Also happening in my world....... hope there's not too much more rain as our tank is overflowing and don't want the old bridge going bye-bye. It's not raining right now and there's really only tonight to worry about (after that the forecast is no rain)(as if the forecast could ever be wrong)

(Jan-10-2011, 08:00 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I am umming and ahhing over my trip to Europe, and considering giving it a miss due to $$ (though my son will still go with his school group). The only thing that is making me seriously consider going is my recent discovery that I could possibly be in Belgium in time to meet her Hobbness when she's there around March 24th!!!

Nooooo trip cancelling!

Hey isn't Robin Hobb going to be there end of APRIL (not March?)
I am looking at going somewhere for a holiday in March (to help celebrate my birthday) and thought 'oooh I wonder if Robin Hobb is going to be appearing anywhere then (you know you're in trouble when you start planning the entire holiday around where your fav author will be....)
AND her schedule looks empty in March. Bummer for me!

Are you still thinking of going to Ireland?

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Jan-13-2011

(Jan-13-2011, 10:37 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Jan-13-2011, 08:05 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: (though they would have preferred a pile 5+ times bigger)

So you could all have somewhere to store your whales? Big Grin

Whales are best stored in small pieces (in freezer), or whole, in the sea...

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-13-2011

(Jan-13-2011, 03:29 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Heh heh
OMG the library has Songs of Love and Death on order and I put a hold and I am second in the queue! Wheeeee!

Clapping Nice!

(Jan-13-2011, 03:29 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Also happening in my world....... hope there's not too much more rain

Plenty of Tassie's flooding drama on the news here. Storms here yesterday/last night with quite a fall of rain...must be more on the way today because I'm m-e-l-t-i-n-g (said in a Wizard of Oz witch-like manner)!

(Jan-13-2011, 03:29 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Hey isn't Robin Hobb going to be there end of APRIL (not March?)

Yes, sorry, I had a little thought after I posted that I may have put the wrong month, and meant to come back and edit (so people didn't turn up in Belgium in March! Big Grin ). The whole trip to Europe revolves around the Gallipoli Dawn Service so it would have been a long wait for that if I headed over a month before...!

(Jan-13-2011, 03:29 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Are you still thinking of going to Ireland?

Sure am! I did decide to put it off until 2012 though, especially after I had already decided to head to Europe this year. Available time is the largest problem as I can't just take off when I feel like it, and have to work around school terms (not to mention other things the kids are up to during the holidays that I want to attend). The only reason why Europe suited, time-wise, was because it will be in the last week of Term One and into the whole of the Easter break.

Have heaps of money to outlay all of a sudden though and Europe seems like the least of the priorities. It's like a wishlist item...while I would really enjoy seeing the sights etc, and definitely would get emotional on ANZAC Day (I think you'd have to be a rock to not shed a tear in that environment!), I am not at all attracted by the "shopping" aspects, like an extra couple of days allocated in Paris just for that (how very unfeminine of me! P ). Shopping is shopping no matter where it happens but the sights and countryside are unique...

Will see what happens. It may be that I am too late to change my mind anyway, due to bookings having been made in advance.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-14-2011

Hey Nuytsia, you may wish to stay right here in Australia when you read this Newsgroup post from Robin (thanks so much to Antebar aka The Fool for the tip over on Blood Memories! Clapping). Though Robin may see a very different Brisbane now, after the flooding.

There is NO WAY I am going to Europe now!!!
You already knew, didn't you?
Tsk, I got so excited by this news that I accidentally deleted a HUGE post I spent more than an hour working on and, of course, I was typing it directly into the box and not saving it onto a Word Doc...when will I learn?! Down

Hard to stay sad about it though...!!! Yay