thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Jan-18-2011

These beings just got back from a 10km ski trip lit only by moonlight (no artificial lights).

It was quite enjoyable to them.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jan-19-2011

That sounds unreal 'thul!

Farseer now I'm totally confused..... isn't Anzac day late April?
That's when Robin Hobb will be in Europe.....
Soooooo.

If you do go to Europe I'd highly recommend Paris for a few days! I hate shopping too, no idea what the attraction is.
I only got to spend one day there and it was nowhere near enough! There's a lot more to do than shopping!

Anyhoo, yay Robin Hobb is possibly going to be here in early April!
I'll definitely have to pop over to Melbourne if she does come. I wanted to see GRRM when he came last year but didn't eventuate.... and I heard he was planning to visit Tassie (not sure if he ended up doing it), but he didn't make any public appearances here (boo!!!)

Happening in My World:
Was a volunteer at the Cygnet Folk Festival over the weekend (and each side of it) and am still recovering from it !!! Good music though and good fun.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-21-2011

(Jan-18-2011, 09:40 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings just got back from a 10km ski trip lit only by moonlight (no artificial lights).

It was quite enjoyable to them.

I agree, 'thul, this DOES sound amazing, not to mention truly magical!!!

I ran over 13kms by moonlight one night a couple of years ago (out in the middle of nowhere, dodging cattle and kangaroos on the road) but that was a one-off, driven by an anger and frustration I can't say I'd even closely experienced before or since...I just had to get away before I did something I would totally regret, like commit a homicidal act P, and in public view to boot...am not sure I'd have had the energy to run such a distance otherwise, in moonlight or not! Wink

Nuytsia Big Grin, I'm saying I'm not planning to head to Europe now as the only reason I was still considering going at all was to see RH in Belgium, since I would be near that location at the same time as her visit (at the end of April, around ANZAC Day, as you say). Since she is now likely coming to Australia in early April, prior to her visit to Belgium at the end of April, I no longer have a compelling reason to go to Europe (unless, of course, the school tells me I have to go as everything is already booked...am still waiting to hear about this). I will just head to Brisbane instead and see RH that way...a much less time-consuming and expensive option!

This is not to say I don't want to go to Europe at all, just that I would rather put it off to another time. As much as I'd love to go with my son and the school, I would also rather share the experience with my husband, as well as do it at a more financially-appropriate time. I'd feel better spending the "big" money on my kids' current commitments eg boarding school, renting away from home, flying school fees (very expensive!), uni courses x2 etc, and getting that all over and done with first. Heading to Brisbane to visit RH and see my eldest son at the same time is one thing but I feel terribly guilty about heading to Europe and putting such a significant "wishlist" thing first before a true need, if you know what I mean?

Getting back to the idea of experiencing it with my husband, I would also rather do such a trip on my own timetable, not that of someone else or a whole group eg so I can stay and look at buildings rather than follow others who are dithering over shopping or carefully supervise a bunch of teenage boys (including my son) who intend to do not much else besides eat their way through Europe! Smiling

Of course, I may still have to head there yet so my carrying on here is all fluff and nonsense until I actually find out what's happening. Maybe I could meet RH in both Belgium AND Brisbane?! Big Grin

What's happening in my world? A new school year starts in a little over two days, and I have been madly trying to get my house, my schoolroom, my kids, myself etc all organised before it starts clamouring for my attention again...

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Jan-21-2011

The feeling was quite excellent, actually... Especially when the skies were clear, but there was some low-lying fog of varied thickness... Almost like a shroud of mist... (one area somewhat higher a few hundred meters away looked like an island in the fog)

These beings may show an image, should they get hold of it...

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jan-22-2011

Farseer, woops i see now, I feel like a bit of a doofus for not figuring it out....!!!
(I didn't click that you just made a booboo saying end of March...I got it stuck in my head.....duh me!!!!!!!)

Wow you ran 13kms in a fit of rage!? I can see why you relate strongly with Fitz! Clapping
I would have given up after 13 metres..... hehehehe

I see what you mean about postponing your trip until you could spend more time and do things you want to do there (and take hubby!)

Happening in my world: sun is shining and tomatoes are flowering
(did I mention that? I'm obviously excited! Especially since tomatoes in the shops are $9 a kg!! )

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Jan-23-2011

A comfortable -7.1 degrees here. no more snow recently (unfortunately) but at least its not melting...

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jan-24-2011

Hah that's about as cold as it has EVER got here I think..... I doubt I would be comfortable!
It's about 16 degrees outside here, but it's sunny so inside it's 23 degrees.
Windy AGAIN!
Thank goodness my tomato plants are mostly intact..... and now they have a wall of hay bales to keep off the worst of the southerlies.... geeees what next? (I REALLY shouldn't ask questions like that.....)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jan-27-2011

I wonder when Robin will confirm dates and things for the Australia trip....... it looks like she will be going to Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne I THINK..... no Tasmania *sob*
But I'd HAVE to take a trip to Melbourne if she doesn't come here......

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Jan-27-2011

These beings have been effective today. They convinced someone to start reading the Farseer trilogy... isnt that nicely cruel of them?

(the person ordered all three from his book dealer)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-28-2011

(Jan-27-2011, 12:02 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: But I'd HAVE to take a trip to Melbourne if she doesn't come here......

Good on you, Nuytsia! Truth be known, it's most likely closer (and far quicker) for you to get to Melbourne than it is for me to reach Brisbane! Wink As soon as the dates are set, I'm making a flight booking...I don't care what else is happening in my life!!

BRAVO 'THUL BEINGS! Another Hobb convert!!! Yay After much effort, I was finally able to convince my husband to get back into FE and he is thoroughly enjoying it now (and is even reading in the room beside me as I type!). Best of all, my eldest son is reading my other copy of FE in between his flight theory lessons down south, and I'm receiving rather excited updates from him over the phone and via email. Smiling