thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-15-2011

These beings have received more snow now. That aforementioned snow pile is now roughly 6x4m bottom with a height of 2.1m (shaped like a triangular prism on its side)

Recent temperatures have gone down to -22.6 degrees, but they have balanced around -8 to -9 the last day or so. Quite comfortable levels.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-16-2011

Not sure if this is the right place to say this, but whatever. Some time ago I made the thread "Taking stock of my life", about my troubles adapting to post-high school life. Well, I may finally have made a friend. There's this guy who I used to sometimes hang out with in my first year, but after that we kinda lost touch. He is now taking two of the same courses as I do, and we have started hanging out together during breaks again. We went to a documentary screening together yesterday. (Louis Theroux and the Nazis, if you must know. Really disturbing and yet hilarious at the same time.) And I'm finding out we have quite some things in common.

Meanwhile, other circumstances have forced me to cut another tie to the past, although that tie had gotten pretty thin in recent years. Last week was just the final straw. (I don't know if I should tell this because I don't really want to elaborate on it at this time. Ah well. I find solace in both old and new friends, but it's still a bitter feeling.)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Feb-16-2011

(Feb-15-2011, 10:35 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: Recent temperatures have gone down to -22.6 degrees, but they have balanced around -8 to -9 the last day or so. Quite comfortable levels.

Blink I freeze when it’s 22.6 degrees!!!

(Feb-16-2011, 12:08 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Well, I may finally have made a friend…And I'm finding out we have quite some things in common.

That’s fantastic news, AR, Yay and sounds very promising! There's something truly special about getting to know someone and being on the cusp of a new friendship...hmm, I don't know...the feeling of hope?

(Feb-16-2011, 12:08 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Meanwhile, other circumstances have forced me to cut another tie to the past…

…Ah well. I find solace in both old and new friends, but it's still a bitter feeling.)

I consider myself a bit of a “burning bridges expert” Blushing but, in my experience, it’s never nice no matter the circumstance, or the relief felt thereafter. I always feel ‘less’ somehow. Interesting that the main reason (excuse?!) I give myself for burning a bridge is to "protect myself from further hurt" and yet the burning process is painful to the extreme and, yes, the bitterness remains (and sometimes even manages to magnify itself!).

Luckily I have lots of bridges to get through so it may be a while yet before I've managed to burn them all...and by then I'd have no doubt built some new ones! Big Grin

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-16-2011

It is all about what you are used to. If you are used to +25-30, then 15-20 is cold. If you are used to -10, then -10 is comfortable.

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-18-2011

Weather here in 'thuls region of the world are quite chilly now. some 1241-1687 km away (depending on curved line distance or distance by car), the thermometer measured -49.9 degrees. 1.5 degrees above the record low. (that record is about 120 years old).

While that distance may seem long, it isn't that long. it is only about 10 degrees further north.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Feb-21-2011

(Feb-15-2011, 03:09 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I only went ice-skating for the first time last year (in the tropical north of Townsville, would you believe?!)
Wow ice-skating! That's something I haven't done in YEARS! I don't think they have any ice-skating rinks in Tasmania???? At least not near here. I used to go in Melbourne when I was a kid. Hmmmm I think there may be one in Perth somewhere but I never had the urge to seek it out.

(Feb-15-2011, 03:09 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: My daughter picked up a chook feather and stood there with it for a moment before she said, "I think I may make that my new motto - For every stroke of a feather, a cut to the throat."

Whoa it sounds like we have a little Robin Hobb in the making! Or something like that....!!

(Feb-16-2011, 12:08 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Not sure if this is the right place to say this, but whatever. Some time ago I made the thread "Taking stock of my life", about my troubles adapting to post-high school life. Well, I may finally have made a friend. There's this guy who I used to sometimes hang out with in my first year, but after that we kinda lost touch. He is now taking two of the same courses as I do, and we have started hanging out together during breaks again. We went to a documentary screening together yesterday. (Louis Theroux and the Nazis, if you must know. Really disturbing and yet hilarious at the same time.) And I'm finding out we have quite some things in common.

Hey cool!
Also, I love those Louis Theroux things! They show them on TV here from time to time. Not sure if I've seen the one you mentioned (it sounds like it's a movie length thing? The ones they show on TV here are I think no more than an hour long and I would think were made for TV). So far they are all really disturbing and hilarious - a GREAT mix in my opinion!!!!

(Feb-16-2011, 12:08 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Meanwhile, other circumstances have forced me to cut another tie to the past, although that tie had gotten pretty thin in recent years. Last week was just the final straw. (I don't know if I should tell this because I don't really want to elaborate on it at this time. Ah well. I find solace in both old and new friends, but it's still a bitter feeling.)

I never really do that, I'm just so bad at maintaining friendships that I lose touch without the need to consider cutting ties!

Happening in my world: it's bloody freezing!!!! It was 5 degrees last night and now it's 9 degrees outside as I type. IT IS "SUMMER" HERE!

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Feb-26-2011

There's not a lot of point to this post (if anything, it contradicts what we're trying to do here on this forum!) BUT I just wanted to stop and acknowledge the guilt I feel after hearing the news last week of Angus and Robertson bookstores being shut down (as they are owned by Borders which is also shutting up shop). Seeing as I usually shopped in one particular A&R store previously, but now buy the majority of my books off-shore from The Book Depository, I am feeling a little Whistling Blushing Down Crying .

I may not buy as much from there as before but I visit it each time I am able, and I will miss not being able to choose to shop in my favourite A&R store in Townsville, as well as miss the people in-store who have come to know me by name. While I have enjoyed the cheaper books and the convenience of not having to drive 1200kms to buy copies, I can see the reason behind the arguement from local storeholders that our government doesn't apply GST to off-shore purchases.

Anyhow, I'm sure I'll get over my guilt trip (like when my far cheaper copy of 'The Inheritance' turns up from TBD! Angel ) but I am still taking to myself my portion of responsibility for this turn of events...particularly as I all-too-often advocate buying locally! The only way I can justify it is in knowing that A&R are ultimately owned by off-shore investors anyway... Undecided

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-27-2011

These beings just took back 1st place post count on another forum... At 21310 posts, they have 1.61% of the posts there...

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Feb-27-2011

(Feb-27-2011, 11:14 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: At 21310 posts, they have 1.61% of the posts there...

Blink That's a LOT of individual and collective posts!!!!

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-27-2011

indeed it is.

the forum is from early 2005, and it has 1,325,188 posts... and a lot of posts have been deleted over the years...