thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Apr-30-2011

Oops, I've just realised I included a fairly significant spoiler in my second last post...sorry! Blushing

*belly laughs* Oh, redchild, a big hug to you from across the Pacific!! Grouphug

Pretty much all I've been thinking about since making my first post is, "What's redchild going to have to say about this when she gets back here, and how am I going to justify myself when I respond to her response?" Big Grin

I've no idea though, for all of my thinking...even my husband was surprised by my enthusiasm to watch the event. I can't stand reading those magazines filled with high society gossip (and have never even actually purchased one!), nor usually have any interest whatsoever in the goings on at Buckingham Palace (a different conversation topic but that is not to say that I believe Australia should sever ties with Britain...quite the opposite, in fact), the who's who at the Logies or any other red carpet event you can name but watching the television last night, and knowing our Australian history and how this was woven into the RotE tale, I couldn't help but be transported to a deeper level of understanding of various aspects of the books. Actually, the books have probably given me a greater undertsanding of 'real' royal life rather than the other way around!

I just don't know, but I was definitely viewing the whole spectacle with RotE-clouded glasses on! A tiny example of this would be when the carriages began making their way back to Buckingham Palace and they got me thinking about the spectacle that would have taken place when some royal characters went through the various places within the Six Duchies, and how the 'commoners' and people of the court would have felt regarding the news of marriage in the midst of strife. Charles and Camiila there together got me thinking about the conspiracy theories of Diana being done away with via an assassination hit that mirrors the plottings of two assassins very well known to most of us. Even marrying a commoner or for love, rather than political/social ties, is a theme that is matched.

As for the coverage, I guess it was the "moment in history" I was probably chasing, more than what was to come after as part of the news (there's been plenty of that today, don't worry!!!). Now that it's all done and dusted, I have no wish to know where or when the honeymoon will take place or any other such thing. Sleeping

Still, it amazes me that we immerse ourselves in the 'royalness' in the pages of books and yet we have it all right here in real life, 'current' life even, and not just as part of our long-forgotten history...even more amazing that I used to have to sing "God Save the Queen" every morning on Parade as a child. That just boggles my mind that I was, and am still, a "subject" of the realm... Blink

Which makes me think of a lady from the US who was having a great time in London and thrilled to be a part of it all. She said something like, "Well, we have no royalty of our own so it's great to be able to come along and join in with everyone else." I couldn't help but have a chuckle over the fact that I thought the goal of independence was to no longer have that connection to the crown. Bingtown = the US in a sort of fashion? Smiling

Rant away - it's all good fun!

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Apr-30-2011

These beings see little benefit in the British monarchy, since they are in no way British. It would be interesting to see what the British would do if the first 67 or so in the line of succession were to die without siring any heirs to take their place in the line of succession...

These beings would not be able to say from a random image whom the two that were just married are, seeing that their appearance is unfamiliar to 'thul.

RE: What's happening in your world? - joost - Apr-30-2011

(Apr-30-2011, 03:08 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: It would be interesting to see what the British would do if the first 67 or so in the line of succession were to die without siring any heirs to take their place in the line of succession...
They get John Goodman as king Smiling.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - May-01-2011

^ Big Grin

(Apr-30-2011, 03:08 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings see little benefit in the British monarchy, since they are in no way British.

No time to respond to this as I would like but will come back...one day!

(Apr-30-2011, 03:08 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: It would be interesting to see what the British would do if the first 67 or so in the line of succession were to die without siring any heirs to take their place in the line of succession...

It would be! Smiling The line of succession and history of the British monarchy is quite fascinating really. When I was younger I never thought I'd ever feel that way, let alone admit it (remembering a debate I had to give in my secondary years where I strongly argued the affirmative for Australia changing the flag and deleting the Union Jack element Big Grin ), but it is interesting to me nonetheless.

(Apr-30-2011, 03:08 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings would not be able to say from a random image whom the two that were just married are, seeing that their appearance is unfamiliar to 'thul.

I found this particularly interesting as it got me thinking about the oaths and promises made in Scouts and Guides (I have a mind like a flea!) and the picture of the Queen that adorns every hut and den across my country. The Guide Promise still includes the "to serve the Queen" line however Scouts Australia allows the following alternatives to the Scout Promise:

Quote:On my honour
I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to my God, and
To Australia
To help other people, and
To the live by the Scout Law

OR

On my honour
I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to my God, and
To the Queen of Australia
To help other people, and
To live by the Scout Law

This trend in providing alternatives seems to be mirrored by many Scouting and Guiding groups throughout the Commonwealth nations.

I think many others would not know who they are either, 'thul. When my son was over in Gallipoli he met up with a group of Australians from Perth, and they hadn't a clue where Brisbane was, let alone anywhere else in Queensland. I was gobsmacked as I know where Perth is, and many other places of the state, despite never having travelled there. I guess it provided proof that if one doesn't need to know something, I guess they don't need to know it!

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - May-01-2011

actually joost, John Goodman isnt #68 in the line of succession... King Harald V of Norway is #68 in the line of succession...

the scout oath varies from nation to nation... These beings had not before seen the australian one... so it was interesting to learn it...

These beings have come across Americans that when coloring a US map, put ocean on all sides...

RE: What's happening in your world? - redchild - May-01-2011

(Apr-30-2011, 01:08 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Oops, I've just realised I included a fairly significant spoiler in my second last post...sorry! Blushing

*belly laughs* Oh, redchild, a big hug to you from across the Pacific!! Grouphug

Pretty much all I've been thinking about since making my first post is, "What's redchild going to have to say about this when she gets back here, and how am I going to justify myself when I respond to her response?" Big Grin

Look like you had a good idea of what I think already Innocent

Quote:I just don't know, but I was definitely viewing the whole spectacle with RotE-clouded glasses on! A tiny example of this would be when the carriages began making their way back to Buckingham Palace and they got me thinking about the spectacle that would have taken place when some royal characters went through the various places within the Six Duchies, and how the 'commoners' and people of the court would have felt regarding the news of marriage in the midst of strife. Charles and Camiila there together got me thinking about the conspiracy theories of Diana being done away with via an assassination hit that mirrors the plottings of two assassins very well known to most of us. Even marrying a commoner or for love, rather than political/social ties, is a theme that is matched.

I wonder if such intrigues within the royal family are even relevant anymore. I suppose it would since they are essentially the public face of the government and no doubt they still have political pull in Parliament. I acknowledge that many people still feel a strong nostalgic attachment to the notion of royalty and nobility and no doubt, they certainly have influence over public opinion. I hope feudalism doesn't come back in fashion, though.

Quote: Still, it amazes me that we immerse ourselves in the 'royalness' in the pages of books and yet we have it all right here in real life, 'current' life even, and not just as part of our long-forgotten history...even more amazing that I used to have to sing "God Save the Queen" every morning on Parade as a child. That just boggles my mind that I was, and am still, a "subject" of the realm... Blink

It is funny how anything beyond a few decades seems like ancient history, or even mythology to most people. It's very difficult to remember that the things in the past still influence how things are in the present. I suppose the RotE dragons have a leg up on that.

It boggles my mind even more when it turns out that young children from China know more about US government, history, and geography than the average American adult.

Quote:Which makes me think of a lady from the US who was having a great time in London and thrilled to be a part of it all. She said something like, "Well, we have no royalty of our own so it's great to be able to come along and join in with everyone else." I couldn't help but have a chuckle over the fact that I thought the goal of independence was to no longer have that connection to the crown. Bingtown = the US in a sort of fashion? Smiling

There is definitely royalty in the US in the form of: the current and former Presidents and their families, A-list Hollywood, and CEO's of major corporations. The only difference is, you can buy your way into high society in addition to maneuvering and/or marrying into powerful, elite families. And the real aim of American independence from British rule was enterprise and profit, not that "no representation" nonsense. So I suppose the US is a lot like Bingtown in that respect P

(May-01-2011, 03:06 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings have come across Americans that when coloring a US map, put ocean on all sides...

WOW I live on an is-land?!

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - May-01-2011

apparently you do...

Oh, and you live in a former colony as well, the colony known as vinland...

RE: What's happening in your world? - joost - May-01-2011

USA once had an emperor: Emperor Norton I.

RE: What's happening in your world? - danieladamsmith - May-02-2011

(May-01-2011, 03:06 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: USA once had an emperor: Emperor Norton I.

Was that Ralph Kramden's best friend..?

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - May-17-2011

These beings are off to celebrate a national holiday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Constitution_Day