thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - May-31-2010

Phew Farseer yay for the groundwater! I wondered if you had a source other than rainwater tanks.

We did have a bore when we lived right near the (Canning) river in Perth, although we had town water (well regular water! we were in the city). The bore was only for the garden, and it ran dry actually fairly soon after we moved in. We never bothered to investigate the bore further, but bores are hugely popular in Perth (for a city) so I think the poor old water table was overused and dropped.

No-one seems to use bores here as far as I know (not that I've asked though!) - I don't know anything about the groundwater situation as far as water table heights or whether there's some problem with rock or what have you. For a lot of the state there is a high rainfall, but for a lot of the state there's not!

I love the banana splits theme song NOW !

RE: What's happening in your world? - Lord Punctual - Jun-01-2010

Rain water tanks seem very exotic to me, which is actually kind of strange since I live in an incredibly rainy climate. (Some years we have rain at least every other day, and some years it's even wetter.) Almost everyone who doesn't live close enough to a town or city to be on a municipal water system uses well water. The house I live in right now has absolutely fantastic well water packed with calcium and magnesium. I'm not looking forward to going back to municipal chlorinated water!

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jun-01-2010

I noticed that about American/Canada! It seems whenever I see a reference to a country water supply it's well water!

I think maybe other countries too? In fact maybe Australia uses roofs/tanks to collect water more than anywhere else???
I had wondered about that a lot, as it seems to me logical to take advantage of the fact that rain is going to fall on your roof anyway, and most (well built) structures are going to make provision for collecting the water and taking it away (gutters, downpipes).
I think a lot of countries would at least have used 'water barrels' at the downpipes in the past? That would be ok in areas with regular rainfall (but still wouldn't hold much water......I guess people washed less back then!), but in many areas rain falls all in one hit and then there's none for ages. Hence the big rainwater tanks (the more variable the rainfall the bigger the tank/s required!)

I would rather use rain then ground water as it seems cleaner (if you have a good catchment system), well at least I know what's in my tank water! (ok it's not exactly sterile....!!)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Lord Punctual - Jun-02-2010

That's funny - I thought the same thing about well water, that it's cleaner. (Although I guess it's kind of odd that water is cleaned by passing through the ground...)

We have a couple of rain water barrels that our gutters empty into, for watering our garden. But they're open on top so they aren't really clean enough for human use. Also, whatever dirt is on the roof washes into them too, so... *shrugs* We aren't really set up for water collecting though - rather we just collect some because we can.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Manephelien - Jun-03-2010

Summer's here and my son just celebrated his first birthday on Sunday. Big Grin

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jun-03-2010

Well that's a biggie! Congrats to him on the big "1" Happyballoon

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jun-03-2010

Yes, CONGRATULATIONS, Manephelien...a first birthday is a huge milestone Dance !! *drowning in the memories of first birthdays*

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jun-04-2010

*tries to remember first birthday*
who am i kidding - I can't remember what i did last week!

What's happening in my world: Just got the expansion pack for Dragon Age (Awakenings) so looking forward to playing it

Still no rain..... some is forecast for tomorrow but got to trade off for cold - forecast top for Hobart 12 degrees which means about 9 here....

My garlic is coming up! Yay!

RE: What's happening in your world? - maulkin - Jun-04-2010

Brilliant sunshine here! So what am I doing still at work? Time to go out and synthesize some vitamin D before our usual cloud cover returns.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jun-05-2010

(Jun-04-2010, 03:45 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: *tries to remember first birthday*

Hope you realise I meant the memories of the three first birthdays of my kids, and not my own Big Grin ...it's been thirty-five, creeping up to thirty-six years since that big event!