thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Jan-17-2012

Oh! I thought it may have some sort of humorous styling. Ah well, never mind.

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Jan-17-2012

unfortunately, no. The humorous ones are often quite a bit of fun.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-17-2012

Funny all of this talk of aprons after taking a photo of one of my sons cooking chilli Toohot for dinner for us last night, and his refusing to be seen in the apron he was wearing...he insisted on taking it off before I could take the photo. I let him win that one. P

While the apron would have been great to capture, it was the actual act of cooking that I wanted a memento of. My eldest son cooks (I have even had to email scanned copies of recipes through to his iPhone at times, while he's been in a supermarket and thinking of what to have for dinner!) but my other son rarely does. It was an event to be sure...and the meal was excellent! Stirring

Last weekend the same son went to an 18th party where the theme was 'H', given that the young lady whose birthday it was had a name that began with that letter. He went as Hulk and a couple of his friends went as housewives, all done up with the stereotypical slippers, curlers and such. They were downtown (the town is about 500kms away from me) when he rang to ask where his friends might be able to source some aprons from to add to their costumes. Knowing the town very well, I was able to tell him exactly where he could buy some and only realised hours later just how depressing that was...the realisation that I am not only a housewife but a middle-aged one at that, and one who knows where to buy aprons!! Uhhuh Smiling I will defend you beings by agreeing that they are very useful and far cheaper/more practical than ruining clothes. I have a bunch of varying sorts (mostly plain or pretty but not frilly) and wear them daily. Surrender

Other than that, university is all but sorted with my son (Hulk) having received and accepted his offer for both the course and on-campus accommodation. Now it's just a matter of dishing out the dollars. Hopefully we will be helped out with a scholarship in that regard but we're yet to find out the result. Even if it's unsuccessful this time, he has already helped us out with plenty of them over the years.

Oh, a bit of flour wouldn't ruin the clothes... it'd just leave them in need of washing, and that is not practical every time baking is done. Clothes should be washed when dirty, not after baking.

These beings would probably be able to figure out where to buy an apron fairly easily where they live. There's a couple of stores that sell their own portions of everything. If neither of those has an apron, it'd be strange. (and if the need was great and availability lacking, one could always buy a bed sheet and improvise)

I've made a toga from a bed sheet, but never an apron.

neither have these beings, but it should be relatively easy. Especially if you go for the kind of apron that does not go around the neck, but instead is tied solely around the chest/waist horizontally.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jan-17-2012

(Jan-17-2012, 12:42 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: I've made a toga from a bed sheet, but never an apron.

I can't say that I've ever made an apron out of a sheet either Big Grin ...but, like you, I have used one for a toga.

Actually I recall cutting one up for some Star Wars costumes once...a part for me as Leia (I have long, brown hair so was able to do the buns-near-the-ears look too!) and a part for my daughter who went as Padme, despite her only being about two or three years old at the time. We were attending a 'Space' disco at school for my sons (who went as Obi-Wan and Darth Vader) and I think it was the second year running that we did the Stars Wars thing. Always nice to offload your obsessions on to your children! P

Returning to aprons though, I couldn't live without mine. No, I really couldn't. I do so much cooking and baking every day that I really would ruin my clothes...washing or no washing. As it is, my aprons are disgusting after only a few weeks of wear and wash action...I just couldn't imagine putting my clothes through that!

I've also used a sheet to create a Grecian style outfit for my outing as Medusa! I dyed it green and painted my face to match. A few rubber snakes clipped into my own natural snake-like curls and well, there we go. P
Lend me an apron somebody, please. I'm about to make a curry, always a messy business. And I must remember not to rub my eye after chopping chillies...not recommended!! Crying

RE: What's happening in your world? - Valarya - Jan-17-2012

I wish I cooked enough to need an apron. Down

I do bake quite a bit, but with a dishtowel nearby to wipe my hands on.. I never need an apron. :O

I don't do enough (home) cooking to warrant owning an apron either. I don't like cooking, it's hot, time consuming work...time that could be spent doing something more enjoyable. And apart from the odd cheese and onion pie, I don't bake at all. I think, in a nutshell, it's called laziness P