thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Feb-06-2012

Yeah but well done you for having a go! As much as I'd love to be able to write a book, I really wouldn't have the first clue where to start. As for map drawing, well that's a complete non-starter for me...no sense of direction and likely to get myself lost.

Good luck with it and don't forget us when you've made your first million! P

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-06-2012

When 'thul start drawing a map, they usually start with either some mountains, or a very roughly drawn coastline. Later on, 'thul will usually refine that coast, often erasing parts like when adding rivers.

it'll probably take quite a while before anything meaningful, let alone publishable comes of this work. But so long as RH continues to write, these beings will not leave this place. It is a very nice place to discuss books.

It is a very nice place to discuss all manner of things Smiling

I really need to get myself off to bed now. Up at silly o'clock again for shift number six of ten 22

hmm... sounds familiar. Class starts at 10:00, and it is now 01:32... Danger of reading "just" one short story before going to sleep...

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Feb-06-2012

(Feb-04-2012, 01:29 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: Not a good day today:
- Woke up around 6 and couldn't fall asleep anymore.

I know how you feel. I hate it even more when it happens at 4am…and that happens to me a lot! Totally off topic but when I was in the latter half of my pregnancy with my daughter, she’d wake me up at 11pm every night and 4am every morning, kicking the heck out of me…so it was no surprise that she ended up being born at 4am. As if that wasn’t bad enough, she woke up at 11pm every night and 4am every morning for years after that. Very odd!

(Feb-04-2012, 01:29 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: - When I went to my car I found it frozen shut. I had to break away some ice around the lock to be able to open it

This I can’t imagine. Further south I have seen ice on a car windscreen on a cold winter’s morning but my car being frozen shut? EDIT: Forgot this little guy - Blink ... Big Grin

(Feb-04-2012, 01:29 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: - When I arrived at the shopping mall my car slipped and hit a concrete pole. Luckily only paint damage as far as I can see...

I’d be surprised to discover that this kind of things doesn’t happen fairly often. Glad that you, and your car, ended up okay.

(Feb-04-2012, 11:57 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: There's a slight problem with reading the story... its not written yet.

I figured as much, so I thought a bit of a push along may be in order...I still want to read it! P

(Feb-04-2012, 11:57 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: Now to make up names for the other cities, as well as making the rest of the settlements and such.

I very much like what you’ve come up with so far on your updated map. Keep going!

Oh, and I’m loving your new signature…a nice quote that!

signatures here are somewhat limited since no images are allowed, but the old one just felt out-dated, and it is a most excellent quote...

Cars frozen shut like described above typically happens more often when temperatures are near zero than when they are deeply chilled. of course, it happens more often with freezing rain, where it rains, yet temperature is subzero.

Mixed up a lot of new names today, so next step is to attempt a few more characters to develop species further. got names for six characters of each grouping (7 groupings)

(Feb-06-2012, 01:33 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: hmm... sounds familiar. Class starts at 10:00, and it is now 01:32... Danger of reading "just" one short story before going to sleep...

Just one more chapter then I'll go to bed...3 chapters later and eyes rolling off up into their sockets, I finally go. When I'm up at 5.45 to start work at 7.30, those 3 'must read' chapters leave me feeling exhausted, but I never learn. I don't know what an early night is! Foolish by name, foolish by nature Sleepy

clock got to about 0200-0230 or so before sleeptime came yesterday.
These beings have added a few more animals to the beastiary for their fantasy world.
Glau'mor - 3-6m long giant armadillos
Sealg - a ocean-based moose-like creature (not sure on name)
Prelgin - Essentially a big, semi-armored, flesh-eating predatory moose

of course, the descriptions in the notes are far longer, covering more than a whole page, just for those three...

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Feb-09-2012

According to the weather forecast for tomorrow, we're going to experience 'frozen rain.' Now, ordinarily I would have said that would be sleet or snow, but no, it is apparently something completely different and a meteorological phenomenon to boot! We shall see..

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-09-2012

frozen rain is essentially water that is still liquid, yet several degrees below 0 (Celsius).
It typically freezes on impact. If there is a large amount of it, it can be quite hazardous to suspended power lines and such. It is also treacherous to vehicles, as it can cover road in slick ice.