thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-17-2012

*laughs*

The problem with wings is that 'thul operate on the basis that wings should be of sufficient size to explain flight. thus constructing wings is a large undertaking, even if they're kept folded.

*Chuckles*
These beings just figured out, while working on the story project, why the "ancient language" from the eragon series looked so familiar...
Much of it is loosely modified, or even unmodified, old Norse.

Paolini's word for "lightning" is the old norse word for "light"
His word for "rise", "rïsa", is remarkably similar to the old norse word for the same, "rísa"...
his: Flauga - old norse: fljúga - english - fly

RE: What's happening in your world? - finella - Feb-17-2012

What means "Norse", thul?

Hm, it mustn't inevitably been a fairy, mustn't it? What about i.e. a hobbit? You need a sort of cape, change the form of you ears a bit by plasticine (in case you have it) and put some hair on your feet. Ah, and you need a pipe.
Hobbits are in a way from a fairy tale, I think.

Very nice wings, farseer! Made much of less!!!

Although - Clapping I like the idea about The emperor's new clothes. And I definitely would love to see photos Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

RE: What's happening in your world? - Gielske - Feb-17-2012

Old Norse means from the old language of Norway. Like old English

Old Norse is essentially the language spoken in scandinavia mostly a bit over a thousand years ago. It is fairly similar to Old English, since those two languages have the same ancestry, and it was far closer to the split between them.

Old English was a language largely unpolluted by french and latin, so a far better language.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Gielske - Feb-17-2012

Wasn't old Norse the Viking languages??
Watching the news in shock. Our prince Friso has been caught in an avalanche on the royal familys yearly ski trip.

Vikings did live in that era, yes.

RE: What's happening in your world? - finella - Feb-17-2012

Thank you, you two. Something learned again Smiling.
I know the item "Nordmänner" (northmen), which are supposed to be the people in scandinavia before the christianisation. Norse sounds to me as it is has something to do with that.

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Feb-17-2012

(Feb-17-2012, 08:07 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Feb-16-2012, 11:20 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: rather hard to construct, wings are. Even more bothersome to grow.

Actually, they are quite easy. All you need is a pair of stockings ( I can't help but grin at the thought that you may actually have any in your draws 'thul beings! Big Grin ), two wire coat-hangers and some string or some such. Here's a set of bee wings I had to very quickly construct for my daughter last year...they're a bit daggy now but you'll get the idea.

Still, a fairy tale? I'd have said just wear a tail with a fairy on the end of it... P

(Feb-16-2012, 11:40 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: Go as the emperor of 'The emperor's new clothes'?

Oh, and just so that we're clear...we neither expect, or want, any photographic evidence should you choose this option!! Ouch
Just so...a pair of fairy wings and a tail = fairytale, as does a tail with a fairy bobbing about on the end. Well misinterpreted methinks! P

Emperor's new clothes...only for the brave!

These beings went with a somewhat abnormal interpretation of "red riding hood", based on the version that appears in Roald Dahl's "Revolting Rhymes".
In that version of the story, she's not a harmless little girl that gets eaten... the moment she steps in the door and sees the wolf instead of her grandmother (she's not fooled), she pulls a gun out of her leggings and shoots the wolf between its eyes, then skins it for a cloak.