thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Feb-26-2012

Blink I'd be gutted if I dropped any part of a book in the bath! I have a habit of nodding off in the bath and it tends to be the feeling that my book is slipping out of my grasp that wakes me. This is partly why I don't really want a Kindle..drop that in the bath, it's thoroughly dead and not so cheap to replace.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Narya - Feb-26-2012

There's something to be said for taking a quick shower so you can snuggle back into bed and read in relative safety. Wink

RE: What's happening in your world? - FoolishGirl - Feb-27-2012

I just gave a recommdation to a friend of mine to read the Farseer trilogy. She's not really into fantasy, although she likes Once Upon a Time on ABC. I am looking forward to hearing how she likes it (I'm a little nervous about it, actually Undecided ) because we have pretty different tastes.

I am usually pretty closed-mouthed around acquaintances about my reading habits, because (as I've found when sharing my movie likes, too), I am often met with, "oh, that's too WEIRD for me".

How about you guys? In the "real world", do you wear your "likes" on your sleeve or do you keep it mostly to yourself?

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Feb-27-2012

I tend to get an awful lot of blank looks when I speak about what I'm reading/like to read. The mere mention of fantasy, vampires, sci-fi, horror, historical even guarantees me a glazed-over expression from whoever I'm talking to. 'Open your mind' is what I want to tell them, but I don't cos I'm far too nice Proud Mostly..

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-28-2012

These beings do on occasion speak of their reading habits, but not always in detail. Not out of fear of mockery, but because few read similar. Those that attempt mockery find that venom to the face is impractical.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Narya - Feb-28-2012

Our library has "Fiction", "Romance", "Mystery", and "SciFi Fantasy" sections, which assumes that the latter three are not real fiction. As a middle aged woman, I do feel less comfortable lurking in the section that does not meet others' preconceived notions about my demographic. But I do have more fun there.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Feb-28-2012

In a dorm situation on a school campus for the next couple of days. A lady much older than I came by my bunk and asked if it were mine. When I replied that it was she got super excited as 'City of Dragons' was laying on my doona and she'd never met anyone else in "the Australian Outback" who read fantasy of any kind. She was/is a Hobb fan too! Clapping

Anyhow, I have been awake for days (no sleep!) and am trying hard not to drop off while sitting here staring at the screen, at only 4:30pm. Sleeping I may have to have an early night, get a couple of hours rest and then wake up before midnight so I can get some of CoD read!!!

RE: What's happening in your world? - FoolishGirl - Feb-28-2012

(Feb-28-2012, 07:32 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: In a dorm situation on a school campus for the next couple of days. A lady much older than I came by my bunk and asked if it were mine. When I replied that it was she got super excited as 'City of Dragons' was laying on my doona and she'd never met anyone else in "the Australian Outback" who read fantasy of any kind...
Since almost all the reading I do now is on the kindle, no one ever knows what I'm reading, and I rarely get asked (most people want to know techie things about the kindle only). Maybe I've become more private about what I'm reading due to using the kindle. Hmmm....

Can I ask what you're doing in a dorm situation, Farsser? Are you at conference or something? Hope it's fun, whatever it is!Flowers

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-28-2012

*points*
http://forums.theplenty.net/showthread.php?tid=149&pid=10492#pid10492

RE: What's happening in your world? - Valarya - Feb-28-2012

In my "real world" there are tons of people who love fantasy stuff. I know it has become 'chic' to be 'geek' these days... but even still, I'm proud to wear my geek on my sleeve. Proud

My desk at work at print-outs of the maps from ROTE and ASOIAF hung up all over the walls. I also have several dragons sitting around my desk, too. Also, there's an unspoken "book club" at my work where everyone knows if they want to talk books, to come find me. P I think we have about 15 people who have read ASOIAF and I got 4 of them to read ROTE.

FoolishGirl, I know what you mean though. One of my best friends is a librarian and he and I have completely different tastes. He always claimed to "hate" fantasy, but I made him read the ROTE series and he thanked me with tears in his eyes. Fool & Fitz have become his most cherished literature characters ever and that's saying something from a Librarian!! I'm sure your friend will like it. Smiling