thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Feb-28-2012

(Feb-28-2012, 01:31 PM (UTC))FoolishGirl Wrote: Can I ask what you're doing in a dorm situation, Farsser? Are you at conference or something?

I sure am! Smiling This week is set aside annually for professional development in the form of convention presentations and workshops etc for Home Tutors and families (this year we are looking into the content and delivery of the New Australian Curriculum), face-to-face classtime with students and their base school teachers, our school's swimming carnival and also an opportunity for students to participate in football (rugby league) and netball clinics prior to selection in a school representative team. As the majority of students live in very remote locations, they otherwise rarely have opportunity to see other children or to learn or participate in team sport.

(Feb-28-2012, 01:31 PM (UTC))FoolishGirl Wrote: Hope it's fun, whatever it is!Flowers

It has been so far, thanks! Slurp It's always nice to come together and network with people (friends) who are in a similar situation. As for most things, it is difficult to understand the uniqueness of this style of education unless you live it every day. It is also great to simply be able to see/chat with someone else other than your family or the people who work with you at home on the property, so it is as much a social opportunity, for both adults and students, as it is educational. While there is always the phone or email or snail mail or the internet eg Facebook, it is special being able to catch up face-to-face, and it keeps you grounded in the world.

On sheep and cattle properties, the accommodation building/s besides the homestead (main house) usually gets dubbed 'The Quarters' eg The Married Man's Quarters, The Overseer's Quarters (you know you're addicted when you see how close that comes to reading as 'Farseer'! P ), The Jackeroo's Quarters or The Shearer's Quarters etc. As the base school caters for remote students and their families, our accommodation block on site here is also known as 'The Quarters'. It contains dormitory-style rooms with a large, very well-equipped kitchen and dining area, tv room, toilets/showers, outdoor deck, playground etc. Besides sheets, blankets, towels and toiletries (which we supply ourselves), it has everything we need for a home away from home. We do tend to come here quite often throughout the year and so it really does function as a second home at times.

RE: What's happening in your world? - FoolishGirl - Feb-28-2012

Fascinating, Farseer! I never would have imagined the complexities of your life out there in the Outback.

I do know what you mean about the importance of connecting with colleagues in person. I work from a home office and can go almost a full year without actually being in the same room with my coworkers!

Sometimes (like today) I have to take my computer to the cafe, just to hear some human voices during the day (no jokes here about the voices in my head!).Rant

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-28-2012

Quote:(no jokes here about the voices in my head!)
Of course not... Who would think to even do that?

*whispers in FoolishGirl's head, urging her to serve dragonkind blindly*

RE: What's happening in your world? - FoolishGirl - Feb-28-2012

(Feb-28-2012, 06:41 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: *whispers in FoolishGirl's head, urging her to serve dragonkind blindly*

Did you guys hear something? Undecided

*...wanders off, looking up at the sky, searching for dragons...*

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-28-2012

Nope. 'thul heard nothing.

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Feb-29-2012

(Feb-28-2012, 02:58 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: In my "real world" there are tons of people who love fantasy stuff. I know it has become 'chic' to be 'geek' these days... but even still, I'm proud to wear my geek on my sleeve. Proud

My desk at work at print-outs of the maps from ROTE and ASOIAF hung up all over the walls. I also have several dragons sitting around my desk, too. Also, there's an unspoken "book club" at my work where everyone knows if they want to talk books, to come find me. P I think we have about 15 people who have read ASOIAF and I got 4 of them to read ROTE.

FoolishGirl, I know what you mean though. One of my best friends is a librarian and he and I have completely different tastes. He always claimed to "hate" fantasy, but I made him read the ROTE series and he thanked me with tears in his eyes. Fool & Fitz have become his most cherished literature characters ever and that's saying something from a Librarian!! I'm sure your friend will like it. Smiling
That very nearly brought tears to my eyes! I've not managed to get anyone to read them despite my unending praise for RotE. Well, it's their loss Uhhuh I'm proud to be a 'geek' if that's what reading such wonderful writing makes me.

RE: What's happening in your world? - FoolishGirl - Feb-29-2012

(Feb-28-2012, 02:58 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: In my "real world" there are tons of people who love fantasy stuff. I know it has become 'chic' to be 'geek' these days... but even still, I'm proud to wear my geek on my sleeve. Proud....
FoolishGirl, I know what you mean though. One of my best friends is a librarian and he and I have completely different tastes. He always claimed to "hate" fantasy, but I made him read the ROTE series and he thanked me with tears in his eyes. Fool & Fitz have become his most cherished literature characters ever and that's saying something from a Librarian!! I'm sure your friend will like it. Smiling

It would be very enjoyable to have someone in the real world to talk to about all these books and characters I love so much. That's why I love The Plenty Slurp

This friend of mine is very conservative. I think she might not "appreciate" the Fool & Fitz's relationship. I'll just have to wait and see!

I gave the first trilogy to my sister recently, because she devoured ASoIaF. Higher hopes there. Joker

RE: What's happening in your world? - Valarya - Feb-29-2012

My Librarian best friend is gay, so he was a tad more in to Fitz and Fool, hahah. P

In fact, said friend just called me to let me know he and his boyfriend have figured out what we're doing for his 30th birthday party: A pirate-themed party. Pirate

He said he was going as Kennit. And he asked me to be his Etta. Big Grin Clapping So I'll be putting together an Etta outfit in the upcoming month. Now I just need to find a ruby earring!! (He also said he needs to find someone with 9 fingers, but I doubt he'll be as lucky there....)

RE: What's happening in your world? - joost - Feb-29-2012

Where do you plan to get a serpent to chew off his leg?

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Feb-29-2012

'thul will not loan out their serpents. You'll have to convince one on your own.