thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Apr-10-2012

Spitting your dummy out, chucking your toys out of the pram, taking your bat and ball in, having a hissy fit, throwing a wobbler...all regularly used sayings over here in 'sunny' England.

Right now, as I look out the window, it looks like Mordor on the horizon! Tremendous black clouds mingled with a very bright orange setting sun. And now we have hailstones..April showers indeed!

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Apr-10-2012

did you forget to mention the pillar of green energy shooting upwards somewhat closer and to the south of the middle of the horizon?

'thul got a glimpse of a weaker variety of Aurora Borealis during their easter vacation, and that at only 62 degrees north. One of the evenings had a series of luminescent clouds in an otherwise clear night sky.

Would you have liked sitting on a branch in a tree some 8-10m aboveground working with tongs on hexnuts fixed onto a steel cable? (Without any safety equipment like harness or rope, naturally)

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Apr-10-2012

(Apr-10-2012, 08:50 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: did you forget to mention the pillar of green energy shooting upwards somewhat closer and to the south of the middle of the horizon?

'thul got a glimpse of a weaker variety of Aurora Borealis during their easter vacation, and that at only 62 degrees north. One of the evenings had a series of luminescent clouds in an otherwise clear night sky.

Would you have liked sitting on a branch in a tree some 8-10m aboveground working with tongs on hexnuts fixed onto a steel cable? (Without any safety equipment like harness or rope, naturally)
I would love to see the Northern Lights! Us over here in Blighty were informed a few weeks back that we would be able to see them (a weak version) if the sky was clear...alas, as is always the case with most celestial occurences over here, it clouds over. Ah well, it's on my list of places to go/things to see.

What's a hexnut? And no I wouldn't want to sit in a tree (kissing or otherwise!) without any sort of safety measure. In fact, you'll not find me sitting in a tree, period! Heights aren't my thing Ouch

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Apr-10-2012

(Apr-10-2012, 08:42 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: taking your bat and ball in

I've never used it, but I will now! Clapping

Yep, I would love to see the Southern Lights one day!

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Apr-11-2012

this is a hexnut...

[Image: heavy_hex_nut1.jpg]

these beings would love seeing a full-fledged version of the aurora borealis someday... slightly luminous clouds just is not enough. 'thul doubt that they will get to see aurora australis anytime soon, though.

loosening up the cargo strap holding that tree to its neighbor, though the strap was several meters closer to the ground, was far more challenging, since that required application of force away from the trunk.

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Apr-11-2012

(Apr-11-2012, 01:12 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: this is a hexnut...

[Image: heavy_hex_nut1.jpg]

these beings would love seeing a full-fledged version of the aurora borealis someday... slightly luminous clouds just is not enough. 'thul doubt that they will get to see aurora australis anytime soon, though.

loosening up the cargo strap holding that tree to its neighbor, though the strap was several meters closer to the ground, was far more challenging, since that required application of force away from the trunk.
Ah, 'tis a nut! My sister saw the aurora borealis last year whilst on a trip to somewhere around your neck of the woods (I forget exactly where) She said they weren't the full-fledged version, but from the photos they looked pretty spectacular. You're braver beings than I am. I wouldn't go flapping about in trees for anything. OuchBlink

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Apr-12-2012

(Apr-11-2012, 01:12 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: 'thul doubt that they will get to see aurora australis anytime soon, though.

Neither will the one here known as Farseer - it would be far too cold for someone such as she to bother! It's autumn and, while the rest of North Queensland swelters, I'm in jeans, jumpers, boots, scarves etc, etc.

I think my (aging!) internal thermometer is broken...either that or I am simply taking my RotE addiction to a whole new level and going out in sympathy with our favourite fool! Joker

RE: What's happening in your world? - 'thul - Apr-12-2012

The one tree that 'thul did not attempt climbing was the one with the nickname "the palm"... care to guess why it got that nickname? (it was, and is, either a pine tree or a spruce)

RE: What's happening in your world? - fool-ish - Apr-12-2012

(Apr-12-2012, 08:08 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: The one tree that 'thul did not attempt climbing was the one with the nickname "the palm"... care to guess why it got that nickname? (it was, and is, either a pine tree or a spruce)
Some sort of coconut type thing falling and clonking one on the napper? Other than that, I've no idea P

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Apr-12-2012

I don't know about the palm but I sure do get a surprise whenever I open this thread of late..."Text, text, huge nut, Blink woh, huge nut, woh Blink ...!"

Big Grin