thePlenty.net Forums
What's happening in your world? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: What's happening in your world? (/thread-149.html)

RE: What's happening in your world? - Nuytsia - Jun-21-2010

(Jun-21-2010, 02:24 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Of all the cheek...I'll get you back when you least expect it, Nuytsia Big Grin !
Uh Oh!
*lives in fear*

(Jun-21-2010, 02:24 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Funnily enough, up here in Queensland, 'footy' is the name most often given to the game of rugby league; 'union' is rugby union, though some people further south tend to also call it 'rugby', along with the rest of the world eg Wales; 'soccer', as Nuytisa has already mentioned, is what we call the game with the round ball, that the rest of the world calls football and Australian Rules is 'Australian Rules', 'Aussie Rules' or just 'AFL' (for Australian Football League).

Oh, teehee I actually learned some stuff here! I've never lived in Qld or NSW and I am far from a sports fan so it's not something I tend to discuss with people!
I'm definitely the last person I'd call on for info on Aussie Rules Football, or pretty well any other sport!

RE: What's happening in your world? - Farseer - Jun-26-2010

(Jun-08-2010, 02:12 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Wow a trip to Ireland sounds great!!!! I've never been but would like to go. Is there a family history there?

Well, Nuytsia, I've been debating if I should put this out there in case I get laughed at!! My dad has always told the story that his "great, great grandfather was the first Mayor of Dublin" BUT I don't know if this is fair dinkum, has only a slight ring of truth to it or if he's having a complete go at me P!

I have had a lot of trouble substantiating his claim at all (without letting on to family that I'm checking up on it!), especially as the office of 'Mayor' was promoted to 'Lord Mayor' in 1665. Richard Muton was the first Mayor way back in 1229 (making him a pretty old great, great grandfather for my dad Big Grin !!) and the first Lord Mayor was Sir Daniel Belingham in 1665.

Even if it's not true, he has always had a love for the place and I spent many hours of my childhood listening to people like Foster and Allen, and Daniel O'Donnell!

Re where we will be going...maulkin, we will just be participating in a short (seven to ten-day) coach tour. This is mainly due to my dad's age, and I expect it is also the easiest way to undertake our adventure? The route will begin and end in Dublin, and we will go via Donegal, Galway, Killarney, etc.

RE: What's happening in your world? - maulkin - Jun-27-2010

(Jun-26-2010, 07:34 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Re where we will be going...maulkin, we will just be participating in a short (seven to ten-day) coach tour. This is mainly due to my dad's age, and I expect it is also the easiest way to undertake our adventure? The route will begin and end in Dublin, and we will go via Donegal, Galway, Killarney, etc.
Sounds like quite a tour, it will take in most of the coast of the Irish Republic! Will you be visiting Northern Ireland too? If you are serious about your genealogical investigations, you should find plenty of help once you are over in Ireland. So many people visit to trace their roots that quite an industry has grown up.

I have spent relatively little time in Ireland, given that it is just across the water (there is even a Dublin-Aberystwyth rowing boat race!) but I think that you will enjoy it, especially if you are interested in history and have family connections to give your visit focus. I tried to trace my own (more recent) Irish roots, a few years back (actually, about 16 years ago - help, I am getting old!) and did manage to locate a few distant relatives, living in an old, walled village in County Tipperary.

RE: What's happening in your world? - maulkin - Jun-27-2010

In my world, my daughter is cutting her first tooth and does not seem terribly happy about it. She is also becoming increasingly frustrated at her inability to crawl. In some ways, I am quite glad that I cannot remember being eight months old, it looks infuriating. On the other hand, you are carried everywhere, you are given plenty of cuddles and everyone wants to be your friend, so maybe it is not so bad.

RE: What's happening in your world? - FoolMoon - Jun-28-2010

Well, yesterday I finished my last exam in my senior high school year, so as from this day i'm free! well, for the summer anyway.

My parents gave me graduation presents, each a present (the advantage of divorced parents). My mom is sending me to London in the first week of August, so if anyone could give me good idea for fun stuff to do they're more than welcome.
The other, and more immediate present is the tattoo my dad paid for, it's on my upper chest and since i only had it yesterday it still hurts like hell XD

here's a picture, most of you probably recognize it. huh?
[Image: 34rsylz.jpg]

RE: What's happening in your world? - maulkin - Jun-28-2010

(Jun-28-2010, 01:47 PM (UTC))FoolMoon Wrote: My mom is sending me to London in the first week of August, so if anyone could give me good idea for fun stuff to do they're more than welcome.
Have you visited England before? Assuming that you haven't, London is huge, bustling and very expensive. My advice would be to avoid the tourist trail (unless you are very rich!) and, if possible, get a friend or relative with similar tastes to show you around. There is something for everyone, it really depends upon what you are into.

If you are on a budget, most of the museums and art galleries are free to enter. I am particularly fond of the Natural History Museum (I worked there for a while) and the British Museum (full of random stuff looted from around the World during the time of the British Empire). For an interesting meal out, take a wander along Brick Lane. It is lined on both sides with Indian restaurants and has a great atmosphere.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-28-2010

(Jun-28-2010, 01:47 PM (UTC))FoolMoon Wrote: The other, and more immediate present is the tattoo my dad paid for, it's on my upper chest and since i only had it yesterday it still hurts like hell XD

here's a picture, most of you probably recognize it. huh?
[Image: 34rsylz.jpg]

While I do not understand the attraction of tattoos myself, I have to admit, if you're going to take one, you might as well take AURYN. So you're now an emmisary of the Childlike Empress? Cool

In my world: I have finished all tests and papers save one. Almost through!

RE: What's happening in your world? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-01-2010

There is this strange tradition in the Netherlands: when a class of children graduates primary school around age 12, the class gives a goodbye musical. Why do bring this up? Because I went to my younger brother's goodbye musical yesterday... and my younger sister's musical the day before that. A whole new phase in their lives is about to begin.

RE: What's happening in your world? - maulkin - Jul-01-2010

In my world, a seagull keeps stealing my lunch (or perhaps it is several seagulls, it is difficult to tell). I like to eat my lunch while walking and the gull attacks just as I am leaving the University campus, swooping down to grab a sandwich from my hand. Once it even landed on my shoulder. Oh, for the ability to repel! It would be so much more dignified than enraged waving and shouting.

RE: What's happening in your world? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-01-2010

Back when I was in high school, my friends and I used to go to a nearby store during some of the longer breaks and buy some chips. We ended up being followed by a HUGE swarm of seagulls, although they didn't go as far as actually stealing it from our hands - they contented themselves with the crumbs that fell to the ground.

On a related note: Seagull loves chips.