thePlenty.net Forums
Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) (/thread-151.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - londonlassie - Jul-08-2012

Ah, emotions in the elderling realm. Yet another topic I could talk about for hours and hours and hours. But I'll try not to P

First off, Nighteyes. That made me cry, bigtime. I loved Nighteyes, he was easily my favourite Farseer character, after the Fool. It took me a while to actually work out what had happened because of how it was written as kind of a dream type thing, I actually thought he was going off hunting for a while. Then I worked out that he really died and spent a couple of hours in tears. My mum now basically thinks that if she finds me crying over a book, it's because Nighteyes just died. Or because I'm reading Liveships again.

The Vestrits never fail to make me angry. Not that I don't like them, it's just that their arguments are just so realistic, it's like watching my family argue, and that just gets me riled. I'm always 100% behind Althea during the first few chapters, snarling at Ronica and Keffria and Kyle, cursing Ephron for not having the backbone to stand up to his wife (he was ill, so not really his fault, but still). Malta frequently makes me want to drown her during the first book, because she's so much like my cousin. My cousin, aged 14, is basically a modern Malta with a lot less clothes and a lot more sleeping around. In fact, they are so alike that it made me laugh my head off when I asked her what she would change her name to if she could, and she replied, "Malta."

Weirdly, the only Vestrit who doesn't make me angry at least once is Wintrow. I like Wintrow. I was egging him on the whole way through - other than Kennit, he was about the only character I never changed my feelings about. Big Grin

Kennit makes me cry loads, because I have so much sympathy for him and I hate what he was put through. Crying He's the kind of character where I want to wave a magic wand and make it all better. Pretty much every time he mentions Igrot, I tear up. I can't stand Igrot. Rant

And the Satrap drives me mad, but he's a character I kind of love to hate. Not like Kyle, who I just don't like, period. I enjoy reading about the Satrap even if I don't like him that much, because he's just so in love with himself. And I must say, I like how he matures Malta - she turned from a nasty little madam to a girl I actually liked and rooted for - even if he doesn't actually learn that much from everything he goes through. He's amusing, and I love watching him get all spluttery and indignant when Kennit basically robs him blind. It's like he's finally getting his comeuppance for being a brat. Yay

Agh, so many emotional moments...

I won't even get started on Kyle Rant

Paragon alternately made me cry (any sad memory linked with Kennit) and laugh (throwing tantrums and hurling sand at people). I always root for the problematic kid to make something of himself, that's probably why. Same reason in part that I liked Kennit.

This is one of the reasons I love Her Hobbness so much - she writes such fantastic characters that they really get your emotions going Book

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Dec-03-2012

Don't think I've shared this sad moment previously, but it always prompts tears...

I speak of the time when Molly asks Fitz to read her mother's recipes to her, and he comes across the message written for Molly Nosegay... Crying