thePlenty.net Forums
Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) (/thread-151.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Dec-24-2010

Just a quick post to note that I always cry when I come across Fitz reading Molly's mother's tablet regarding the candles she burned at Molly's birth Crying ... such a special moment.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Nuytsia - Jan-24-2011

Here's one:
The part in RA when Fitz has Skilled with King Shrewd to Verity (the first time) and he can barely walk and he is back in his room and Justin and Serene show up and Justin tries to invade Fitz's mind and he's all helpless and then.... Nighteyes Wit mauls Justin!
Sooooooooo good!

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - 'thul - Jan-24-2011

these beings really need to re-read the assassin trilogy soon. (unfortunately the first book is loaned out to someone else)

there's nothing like a little mauling to make a day complete...

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Nightchade - Feb-05-2011

...having recently finished FF I'm afraid I'm a bit of a wallower and keep going back to the saddest bits-I'm sure Nighteyes has a wonderful phrase about poking at old wounds somewhere. Well the whole range of emotions is here! (despite keeking at spoilers and peeking ahead in the books so I wouldn't get too much of a shock!)
Crying, as in bawling..: Nighteyes death, the part where he says he always has to run ahead.... The final goodbye between the Fool and Fitz 'will I ever see you again?' Verity saying how much he had always loved Fitz. The poem and the description of the memory stone carving the Fool left for Fitz. (actually most of FF had me snivelling)
Elation. Fitz recognising the Fool as the person who has rescued him in AQ, Fitz Recognising the Fool when he approaches on Malta at the beginning of FE, Fitz recognising Nosy. The Fool besting Civil in the fight in FF,
Cross: Starling telling Kettriken about Molly and Nettle's existence, everything to do with Kyle Haven, the immature Malta
Sadness: Fitz giving Burrich his 'home truth's' speech at the beginning of AQ. The deaths of Smithy and Nosey, Chade's obvious love for Fitz, the Fool getting a good kicking in RA.
Shock, Kennet raping Althea, the Fool revealing his tattoos to Fitz, realisation that Shrewd had been possessed by Justine etc. and all of the plans were known, hearing about the little minx Rosemary, meeting Verity again, horribly depleted in AQ
Frustrations, Sick Thick, Thick Fitz (at times)
Ooooh moments! The quarrel between Fitz and Fool in GF where we learn how the Fool feels about Fitz. The nights in the tent, Fitz cuddling and comforting the Fool after his resurrection,the Fool describing how he kissed Civil' s palm and touched it with his tongue (why didn't Fitz say...'yes please ..Fool with me like that !')
Aaah! moments, all descriptions of the Fool ! Burrich and Molly scenes, Patience and Lacy scenes
Horror. Descriptions of the forging of the villagers,All of the pale woman scenes especially Fitz finding out what had been done to the Fool. Kennet raping etc, Fitz being beaten up in Regals dungeon
Laughter, ..Lots of this throughout. The Fool protecting Fitz in AQ by slamming his door, most of the Fools teasing of Fitz 'he loves me ..and I love him!' Most of Nighteyes quips, Dutiful grumbling how Chade would give him a good purging if he thought it would do him good.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - redchild - Feb-11-2011

(Jan-24-2011, 08:23 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: these beings really need to re-read the assassin trilogy soon. (unfortunately the first book is loaned out to someone else)

there's nothing like a little mauling to make a day complete...

[Image: th_SissySlapFight.gif]

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - 'thul - Feb-11-2011

These beings are uncertain about the proper response here.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Nuytsia - Feb-12-2011

Argh re-reading the end of Assassin's Quest..........

"He knows that when morning comes, he will find me, head on my desk, sleeping amidst my scattered papers, Nighteyes sprawled at my feet.

We dream of carving our dragon."

I liked that ending, and then I read the Tawny Man trilogy and they never carved their dragon
Crying

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - 'thul - Feb-12-2011

some things are just not meant to be...

But it sure is a nice ending...

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Feb-15-2011

(Feb-12-2011, 11:57 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: We dream of carving our dragon."

I liked that ending, and then I read the Tawny Man trilogy and they never carved their dragon
Crying

Yet! P

Actually, I think I mentioned in the Dragon Haven or Keeper thread, wherever my first ever thePlenty posts re Kelsingra are, that I believed the carving of dragons would stop with Verity. Fitz would never do it, based on the 'Wise Men' ditty. Verity was the last one who was made reference to within its words, as far as I could tell.

I think the stop/change has to do with Fitz coming along to balance out this possibly unnatural act of Elderlings/Skilled ones continuing on after death in such a state eg implanting their anmas into otherwise inanimate objects, and this includes liveships. I didn't go into this latter point in those posts but have planned to do so in other threads (it's on my thePlenty to-do list!).

Still, I loved that ending too and, at the time, could see a Fitz-carved dragon soaring in the skies (possibly joined with Fool and Nighteyes so they could remain 'as one'). I have far too many other theories to stick with just that one ending though!

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - 'thul - Feb-15-2011

The only time such would be likely to happen again, would be at least one lifetime after verity's dragon. Why? Because there is a large gap in the pool of skilled ones. Only with special aid, or through advancing to a certain point, will anyone be compelled to carve dragons. Special aid is the aid of someone experienced with the theory, and the advancement takes decades to reach, if not longer.

The only remaining reason for anyone to carve a dragon, would be a need similar to the red ships case, but that is voided by Fitz having taught on to others how to reanimate the garden dragons.

There is one place that could compel the six duchies to wake them. Chalced.
No doubt the southern duchies would cherish the opportunity to carve out a good portion of Chalced. Especially if they could have petrified draconic aid.